Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Gone Wrong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today's update: Yesterday the Nav forgot how to function again, thinking I was still parked in town for about an hour after I'd driven home but then fixed itself on the next drive. Today I have a shinny blue, if slightly older, M3 LR sitting on the drive and mine is in the shop to get fixed :) On check in this morning they looked at the two appointments I had in the system (one booked myself after the faults over the last few weeks, one they added for the car computer replacement) and were pretty happy it is all related so they moved everything onto todays appointment, and confirmed the parts were in stock. Car has been offline for a couple of hours now according to TeslaMate so looks like work is in progress.

Now to see if it gets all finished before the end of Thursday or if I get to keep the loaner over Christmas :)

I have jinxed it. Today I was supposed to have a sc appointment. Since 14/12 early hours I could successfully wake the car from the app. All was ok until I just checked just now and once more my car is unreachable. That’ll learn me eh!?

I did update my iPhone to iOS 15.2 last night (but it worked all day until now) and the app updated itself to the version with the metric odometer readings.

I’ll let it settle for a while and try again but looks like I’ll be reopening the sc case.

Today's update: Yesterday the Nav forgot how to function again, thinking I was still parked in town for about an hour after I'd driven home but then fixed itself on the next drive. Today I have a shinny blue, if slightly older, M3 LR sitting on the drive and mine is in the shop to get fixed :) On check in this morning they looked at the two appointments I had in the system (one booked myself after the faults over the last few weeks, one they added for the car computer replacement) and were pretty happy it is all related so they moved everything onto todays appointment, and confirmed the parts were in stock. Car has been offline for a couple of hours now according to TeslaMate so looks like work is in progress.

Now to see if it gets all finished before the end of Thursday or if I get to keep the loaner over Christmas :)
And to close the loop - 30 hours in the shop and I have my car back with a new brain, updated to 2021.44.6 and fully valeted. Was a bit concerned as it didn't seem to want to go to sleep all evening but the at midnight it finally did sleep for 30 minutes before the scheduled charge started, and in the morning I can see that once it reached the set charge level after a further 12 minutes it slept for a full 6 hours before I woke it up to pre-heat the car! Used it a couple of times this morning, and it's gone back to sleep again for the past 2 hours so looks like it's all sorted - yay!

So, after moaning a lot about Park Royal service centre not being able to get the new car computer in, I really should say a big thanks for great service once they could actually do the repair. Easy hand off and pick up of the loaner car, free valet due to the wait for the parts, simple hand off at the end of the service and all covered under warranty. Only down side, if you can call it that, is that I now have to use my own mileage (insurance) and electricity for Christmas travels, COVID permitting :)

And to close the loop - 30 hours in the shop and I have my car back with a new brain, updated to 2021.44.6 and fully valeted. Was a bit concerned as it didn't seem to want to go to sleep all evening but the at midnight it finally did sleep for 30 minutes before the scheduled charge started, and in the morning I can see that once it reached the set charge level after a further 12 minutes it slept for a full 6 hours before I woke it up to pre-heat the car! Used it a couple of times this morning, and it's gone back to sleep again for the past 2 hours so looks like it's all sorted - yay!

So, after moaning a lot about Park Royal service centre not being able to get the new car computer in, I really should say a big thanks for great service once they could actually do the repair. Easy hand off and pick up of the loaner car, free valet due to the wait for the parts, simple hand off at the end of the service and all covered under warranty. Only down side, if you can call it that, is that I now have to use my own mileage (insurance) and electricity for Christmas travels, COVID permitting :)
Great News!
I'm due to be sorted on 12th January... they sent me a message to say the part is on hand.
It will, I hope, be a good start to the year!

Reactions: Kietrax
This morning I powered up my M3 and received the eCall requires servicing message. I popped it into reverse but all 3 cameras (rear, left and right) were black. After driving down my road I noticed that the map still showed me sat on the drive and the car wasn’t animating.

After pulling over I performed a soft reset (both buttons and brake pedal) hoping it would fix the glitch before I continued my journey, but after rebooting nothing had changed.

I tried soft rebooting more several times as well as the screen ‘power off’ option. Now my car thinks it’s in California (Teslas HQ) with a 9 hour time difference.

I’ve then tried the battery disconnection reset with no success.

I’ve contacted Tesla support who say they’ve downloaded the data. But said it will probably be next week before I hear back.

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions welcome!

View attachment 713325
View attachment 713326
Yes, had it once. Cured it by doing the hardest possible reset immediately I got in the car in the morning, before all the error codes show up. Worked. The same reset did NOT work when the error codes had already appeared (previously). Has not recurred after 6 months. Very happy to cancel my service appointment.

Sit in driver’s seat. In park with all doors closed.
Menu, Safety & Security page. Power Off button. (or on some older cars, service menu, power off).
Wait about 60 seconds for the interior lights to go out.
Wait 30 seconds more to be safe.
Press brake pedal.
Wait about 30 seconds whilst everything boots up (you may see odd error messages for a few seconds).
Done.

Reactions: bctomuk

Sit in driver’s seat. In park with all doors closed.
Menu, Safety & Security page. Power Off button. (or on some older cars, service menu, power off).
Wait about 60 seconds for the interior lights to go out.
Wait 30 seconds more to be safe.
Press brake pedal.
Wait about 30 seconds whilst everything boots up (you may see odd error messages for a few seconds).
Done.
You may have to do that more than once, if you don't hear the contactors open (loud clunk) then it's not fully shut down.

January 13th 2022

3 months and 8 days after the initial fault my car is back, with a new computer.
A final slap...they were unable to save any of my settings, the old unit wouldn't export anything so I had to delete the car from my phone, delete the Tesla app and start as if it was a brand new car.

They didn't even wash the car.

But after the Model S 75 the M3 LR is a joy.