Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Gone Wrong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few days later....

It happened again!
Car didn't show its correct position this morning. After a couple of hours the bav system and autopilot woke up, then the camera at the front and rear and by 11:30 the side pilar cameras started working, so it was back to normal.

I've filed a service call for Tuesday 19th: my suspicion is a buggy version of the last over the air update, but it is very irritating. I suspect that they will need to roll back and reinstall.

Erm. Once they got our replacement car computer (next day) it was all done same day - and by looks of in service messages, half day tops. And that included backup of old MCU and restore into new one.

Absolutely everything was the same including thankfully our lifetime trip and even the keys. If it wasn’t for the invoice we wouldn’t have known it had been replaced.

Would be curious to know your new part number - it should appear on the invoice.

A few days later....

It happened again!
Car didn't show its correct position this morning. After a couple of hours the bav system and autopilot woke up, then the camera at the front and rear and by 11:30 the side pilar cameras started working, so it was back to normal.

I've filed a service call for Tuesday 19th: my suspicion is a buggy version of the last over the air update, but it is very irritating. I suspect that they will need to roll back and reinstall.
I have *exactly* the same problem. Hasn't happened in a couple of weeks (although I haven't driven much, either). It was booked in at Dartford 2 days ago, but last minute they didn't have any loan cars, so it's now postponed for a couple of weeks.

How did they decide you needed a new computer? Was it once you'd taken it in?

I have *exactly* the same problem. Hasn't happened in a couple of weeks (although I haven't driven much, either). It was booked in at Dartford 2 days ago, but last minute they didn't have any loan cars, so it's now postponed for a couple of weeks.

How did they decide you needed a new computer? Was it once you'd taken it in?
I reported it through the app, for the second time.

Got an appointment and then a phone call from one of the technicians at Winchester. From what he said I think that they will allow the problem to happen once, the second time they replace the computer module. I think they have also looked inside the car, remotely.

Another call today: the modules are on back order.. they hope to have it by 25th, but will confirm: they won't drage me over until they have the part(s) needed.

I was assured that the car will continue to be perfectly driveable, even if it faults again.

What the guy from Dartford told me is he plans to inspect the GPS antenna "which is known to cause other issues" -- and it's not a "wait while we do it" thing, hence the need for the loan car. So it doesn't sound like they're very connected up (i.e. there doesn't appear to be a known cause for this issue, even though it's remarkably consistent).

I thought it was time for an update...

As of 22 November I'm still waiting for the part to arrive, it is still on order with no scheduled delivery date at Winchester. I talked to the service agent at Tesla Winchester who told me that supply of certain electronic spares is poor, fall out from the general semiconductor shortages in China.

I have a rolling appointment for Wednesdays, reviewed each Monday. Will the car computer arrive before Christmas?
Watch this space!

At the moment the car is mostly working as it should, with occasional states of confusion such as the car thinking the accelerator is being pressed when it isn't and so preventing gear selection and the side camera on the off side returning no image, so de-activating auto pilot.

Reactions: Durzel
I thought it was time for an update...

As of 22 November I'm still waiting for the part to arrive, it is still on order with no scheduled delivery date at Winchester. I talked to the service agent at Tesla Winchester who told me that supply of certain electronic spares is poor, fall out from the general semiconductor shortages in China.

I have a rolling appointment for Wednesdays, reviewed each Monday. Will the car computer arrive before Christmas?
Watch this space!

At the moment the car is mostly working as it should, with occasional states of confusion such as the car thinking the accelerator is being pressed when it isn't and so preventing gear selection and the side camera on the off side returning no image, so de-activating auto pilot.
Is there not a case for declaring that you are not comfortable driving the car and getting a loaner whilst they source the parts? Is your car leased or owned? Any mileage on talking to the lease co?

Not sure I’d be this patient but I suppose with semiconductor supply issues worldwide perhaps we are all going to have to accept things we wouldn’t have previously.

Good luck hope it gets resolved quickly.

I think it may be time to apply some pressure. They have offered to send a ranger out to do a 12V reset... but suggested it would only be a temporary solution and the board needed to be replaced. So I'm not sure there is any point.

They don't have all the parts they need, some US build M3s are being shipped without certain features, like the inductive phone charging pads. Tesla have said they will be fitted when available.