Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Gone Wrong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I powered up my M3 and received the eCall requires servicing message. I popped it into reverse but all 3 cameras (rear, left and right) were black. After driving down my road I noticed that the map still showed me sat on the drive and the car wasn’t animating.

After pulling over I performed a soft reset (both buttons and brake pedal) hoping it would fix the glitch before I continued my journey, but after rebooting nothing had changed.

I tried soft rebooting more several times as well as the screen ‘power off’ option. Now my car thinks it’s in California (Teslas HQ) with a 9 hour time difference.

I’ve then tried the battery disconnection reset with no success.

I’ve contacted Tesla support who say they’ve downloaded the data. But said it will probably be next week before I hear back.

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions welcome!

09C24DB8-7257-48CB-9B84-9FD71AFBDF4F.jpeg
5BF8E5C2-EC05-45B8-8A44-8939A3F37F3C.jpeg

"I’ve contacted Tesla support who say they’ve downloaded the data. But said it will probably be next week before I hear back."

This is one of the things that is giving me major doubts as to whether Tesla is right for me. Surely, in this situation (assuming you are under warranty), you can make a call, have the car recovered and get a loan car from Tesla? I know they could argue that perhaps this fault doesnt prevent you from driving the car, but given the nature of the fault, the extent of the systems affected are unknown and it could well be dangerous or at least less safe to drive?

"I’ve contacted Tesla support who say they’ve downloaded the data. But said it will probably be next week before I hear back."

This is one of the things that is giving me major doubts as to whether Tesla is right for me. Surely, in this situation (assuming you are under warranty), you can make a call, have the car recovered and get a loan car from Tesla? I know they could argue that perhaps this fault doesnt prevent you from driving the car, but given the nature of the fault, the extent of the systems affected are unknown and it could well be dangerous or at least less safe to drive?
Agreed its not good on a new car. Is the driver info bit on the right working showing you speed, park drive, and the warning lights etc? What about the aircon panel in the bottom etc? Is it just the left part that's not broken (admittedly that's settings etc so most of the main stuff appears there!)

The car seemed to be fine to drive. I’m not sure about all of the safety features. The parking sensors didn’t appear to work so I doubt collision avoidance would have worked.

I’m too a little disappointed by the speed (or lack of) from Tesla support. They didn’t even give me much advice over the phone. They called me for a time window where the car wouldn’t be in use and I called them an hour after that window, that’s when they told me they’d downloaded the data. I had expected a call along saying something along the lines of ‘we’ve completed an initial diagnostic check and there is nothing obviously wrong so we’ve asked for additional technical support etc’

Anyway, this morning the car appears to be back to normal and fully functional. This is probably the main lesson from all of this rather than resetting and losing all personalised settings and favourites…. just leave the car to have a good night sleep and see if it wakes up on the right side of the bed!

Same thing happened to me today, total freeze on the screen and black boxes, but I kept driving and after about 10 minutes the system reset while I was driving and all restored. Then when I parked up, the alarm mysteriously triggered but cancelled all by itself after just a few seconds.

Some bugs have certainly crept into this latest software.

This morning I experienced exactly what the OP experienced.
The car is perfectly usable other than the absence of cruise control, map location and cameras.
Brake and button resets done, without success.
Service call booked for next Monday at Winchester, I can't get there before then.
Irritating...

I've tried the brake pedal and wheel buttons re-set, without any improvement, I have lost all visualisations as well: what did you do? Music seems fine from both TuneIn and Spotify.
Have you tried a power off? Sit in the car, power off from the screen, sit there for about 5mins doing nothing, wake the car up. The brake pedal does nothing on an M3 and the other reboot is just rebooting the screen, the only way to do a full reboot is to power off (which I believe is described in the manual as well)

I was planning to do this today, but between 10:15 and 10:45 today the car corrected its self, everything now works as expected.
I spoke to the Winchester Service Center and asked who had done what. The person said that there was no information in the system but the fault had been referred to the "Remote Service Team" so perhaps they did an update.

All very mysterious! The moral is to book a service the moment an error message occurs!

I would still perform the 'power off routine, it solved small issues for me in the past. I just look at it that the car is a big PC, it needs a kick up the backside sometimes to clear the memory, frozen/stalled processes, etc. Don't rush the power off though, the car will make lots of strange noises, the A/C will go faster and slower and suddenly it all goes quiet. Just give it a few minutes.

Reactions: Peter 224
I would still perform the 'power off routine, it solved small issues for me in the past. I just look at it that the car is a big PC, it needs a kick up the backside sometimes to clear the memory, frozen/stalled processes, etc. Don't rush the power off though, the car will make lots of strange noises, the A/C will go faster and slower and suddenly it all goes quiet. Just give it a few minutes.
Sounds a bit like "Alt, Control, Delete" of past windows fame!
Yes, I'll do it over the weekend.

Peter

Reactions: Cloggie