Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have insights on if there’s any reason I shouldn’t considering ordering the homelink module used through a site like eBay? I’ve seen some listings for more then half of what Tesla charges and as best I can tell it isn’t like anyone will ever see the unit once installed anyway.

the only thing I did notice is it says the price from Tesla includes installation. Anyone know why that cost is if I buy the unit elsewhere ?

Anyone have insights on if there’s any reason I shouldn’t considering ordering the homelink module used through a site like eBay? I’ve seen some listings for more then half of what Tesla charges and as best I can tell it isn’t like anyone will ever see the unit once installed anyway.

the only thing I did notice is it says the price from Tesla includes installation. Anyone know why that cost is if I buy the unit elsewhere ?

I am sure you could install yourself but according to the Tesla's website, they specifically highlight that the Homelink installation must be done by a Tesla Service Technician. Not sure if installing it yourself would have any impact to warranty.

Check out this thread about others installing it themselves..

Way to Save Money to get the Homelink Garage Door Option

If you buy it used and try to take it to tesla to install, you will likely end up paying what tesla charges or even more. Only consider doing that if you are going to try to install it yourself, and see if you can get it activated yourself.

I dont think you would be saving much money at 50% off, and adding time and aggravation, but if DIY on something like this is something you like doing, then take a look at the thread mentioned.