Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 in snow experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My AWD M3 does pretty well in Colorado snow, but does some sliding when accelerating with the rear tires breaking free. I think this is mostly a feature of the M3 weight balance and traction control being different from FWD cars with the usual heavy engines in front. I think it is safer for the rear tires to break free first than the front tires to break free first because it is easier to control. Thoughts?

You have a heavy motor on both axles...and a heavier battery adding to push down the car evenly. The rear motor is more powerful, which is probably why you get them to slip easier. You need snow tires. All-seasons aren't the best tool for the job (especially in your area of the country).

PS. Go Broncos! (Fan since '97).

having RWD cars in Chicago i've noticed that if i drive like a normal person, everything is fine. and stay out of the deep snow. (which is really my advice for driving everything except a snow mobile.)

the bigger problem is other drivers who forget how to drive when it's white outside.

Reactions: C141medic