Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 insurance with ByMiles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm waiting for my M3 LR to be delivered and meanwhile I'm researching the best insurance I can get. I don't have lots of driving history in the UK so any insurance is expensive by default - but for my current car (BMW) I'm using ByMiles, which has a fair model - you pay for what you use per mile + a stationary charge. For the BMW I have a mileage tracker installed, but for Tesla they've got smart API integrations, no tracker required. They actually have a dedicated Tesla offering and I was excited to use them again, but they say they can't insure my M3. I queried them via a support ticket and confirmed they can't, without offering much explanation.

Anyone using them with their M3? Just wondering if I'm unlucky due to car model/postcode/having no history combination or it's just car-model related?

Thanks!

Never heard of them. Sounds like an interesting idea though.

I've found Direct Line to be the most effective Tesla insurer so far. No problems with getting quotes, exemplary when dealing with claims, and renewals are reasonable and always negotiable. No black boxes. And they now offer some kind of reduced mileage reduction: provide a mileage reading at the start, and one at the end, and if your mileage during the insured period is under what you expected get a refund on your premium.

Never heard of them. Sounds like an interesting idea though.
It is a good approach for low mileage drivers - saved me a lot during the lockdowns. Having little UK history any quote is over 1k per year for me, for a comprehensive insurance. With ByMiles I paid around 400 GBP for Feb 2020-Feb2021.

I will look into Direct Line - thank you

I've had no issue with Bymiles with my SR+. In fact my renewal with Churchill was 50% more in Sept 20 for no reason. I'm in my early 30s so I'm lucky to get insurance for less than a £1k.

As has been mentioned, Bymiles use your Tesla credentials to track your milage so you don't need to plug anything in a diagnostic port. I've been especially pleased since I've hardly used the car since lockdown so a huge saving this year.

I would try them again. Is it perhaps because you haven't taken delivery yet?

Interesting. They were more than happy to insure a model 3 LR with a numberplate that I "found" while I was waiting for mine to turn up.

Based in Essex, so yeah thats a bit surprisng.

My boy uses them for his Mazda 6 as he commutes into london by train all week (when he's not covid working from home) so he does VERY little mileage and as he's only 23, Bymiles has saved him a fortune.

Apparently I can’t insure a Tesla on my postcode. Tried with a friends plate. I’m in South London CR8 :)
Direct Line works though- I’ll probably stick to that even if it’s more expensive for me than bymiles. Thanks everyone

Apparently I can’t insure a Tesla on my postcode. Tried with a friends plate. I’m in South London CR8 :)
Direct Line works though- I’ll probably stick to that even if it’s more expensive for me than bymiles. Thanks everyone
Have you checked Admiral? They were the cheapest for me by a good few hundred quid - pleasantly surprised! Best quote was £700 from them, which I've managed to drop to £620 by going multicar. Cheapest quote anywhere else was over £1000.

Is it not a bit.... uncomfortable giving your Tesla account credentials (and therefore pretty much total control of your car) to some company?

As I understand it they only get limited access to what is needed and can't just login and start messing around with your car settings or anything. They just get an auth token or something, I did read into it when I first looked at quotes but now that I've managed to beat their cheapest, I've forgotten most of what I read.

• Informative
Reactions: md337
Is it not a bit.... uncomfortable giving your Tesla account credentials (and therefore pretty much total control of your car) to some company?

Given that's how TeslaFi and TeslaMate can provide accurate detailed information of your mileage and travelling speed that's another piece of ammo they can use against you to not pay out for any incident or to increase your premium.

"Oy Mate, you was doing 71mph into that fender bender, we won't pay out and Mr Plod will be with you shortly to collect your driving licence as you're banned too as we spotted at least three speeding offences leading up to that incident"

Big Brother strikes again :(

If they have an auth token, they can do everything that TeslaMate/TeslaFi etc can do, including getting drive histories which give speed, location, acceleration, etc at regular intervals, locating and unlocking the car, etc.

The Tesla API is unofficial, it has not been developed to be used by third parties - it is simply tolerated. There is no provision for privilege levels or limitations as to what can be seen or done with a given access token.

Obviously everyone’s comfort level with apps and services that use these tokens is their own, but for them to say that they don’t have access to speed etc is just wrong.

I feel your pain. I'm in CR0 which is one of the highest in the country for the insurance postcode tax. For what it's worth I found Churchill to be slightly cheaper, even though they are the same company.

Tried a quote just for interest. I’m also unable to insure my M3P in Newcastle. It’s on lease with insurance included so not a problem for me, but bit of a shame. Seems like a good idea.

E60AB94D-414F-41C5-9DD5-E1FFF9A51077.png

Given that's how TeslaFi and TeslaMate can provide accurate detailed information of your mileage and travelling speed that's another piece of ammo they can use against you to not pay out for any incident or to increase your premium.

"Oy Mate, you was doing 71mph into that fender bender, we won't pay out and Mr Plod will be with you shortly to collect your driving licence as you're banned too as we spotted at least three speeding offences leading up to that incident"

Big Brother strikes again :(
I was also worried about this - firstly because I’m paranoid by nature as I work in Cybersecurity - plus on my current BMW I had to install a bymiles tracker since there’s no API. For my BMW I’m certain they collect speed and other info - but policy clearly states they can’t use any driving information for deciding claims.
They might refuse policy renewal though - without disclosing why that is. If it was my company i would definitely profile drivers based on driving habits to tune renewal pricing.

Hi all

I just got a quote from these guys that beat my other two cheapest quotes “bymiles” pun intended 😊 I don’t do a lot of miles so really works for me
73EF734E-B99C-4AD2-A4F4-CE5843C09E79.png
3C308B3F-4C61-44BC-BDD8-E1E3DADA696E.jpeg
8AB7D502-C5F8-498E-BE0B-D8EC13FD3A3A.jpeg
BAA33506-636C-4CD7-83BA-DC3799762ED6.png
92D3EDF2-DFF9-4769-9BE5-0CBB61B0B807.jpeg
15F1B80F-95C6-42A5-8416-096C55AEBE31.jpeg

45yrs
15 NCD
Parked driveway
No claims/convictions or anything else

DL £725
LV £647
ByMiles £368

Attachments

• 4FB7A6F7-1B2C-4B23-981C-5A338337696B.jpeg
    4FB7A6F7-1B2C-4B23-981C-5A338337696B.jpeg
    377 KB · Views: 41
  • EDB4457B-6F21-4280-A775-0FA2C7F239BD.jpeg
    EDB4457B-6F21-4280-A775-0FA2C7F239BD.jpeg
    341.6 KB · Views: 41
  • E8061212-7534-4FC7-B1EE-5ED2FE23C718.jpeg
    E8061212-7534-4FC7-B1EE-5ED2FE23C718.jpeg
    484.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 8F6BEC35-F9CC-4648-BECE-CFAA09375F8A.jpeg
    8F6BEC35-F9CC-4648-BECE-CFAA09375F8A.jpeg
    478.5 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: Billbrown1982
Looks like it's about 1/3 of the cost of my Novo policy, on a M3P doing about 1500 miles a year (although that might change if WFH ends abruptly). Pretty sure I tried to do one a while ago and it wouldn't quote me.

Same for me, so far Churchill have been the cheapest. Cannot do a quote for ByMiles as its reg only and Tesla haven't graced me with such information yet.
So I called by miles and they are unable to insure any M3 made after 2020 as their tech team are working on how to remove a zero and replace it with a one 🤣 as the only options on their website are 2019 & 2020 they don’t know how long it’s going to take to figure it out but they are hard at it day and night😂

“by miles smart meets smart” but we can’t understand how to update our website 🤪

I don’t know if the representative I was talking to just wasn’t the best or is by miles maybe just not the that good either
Hey

there is a section for Tesla’s if you scroll down the page that allows quotes without a Reg. But don’t bother if you have a 2021

Reactions: moodel_tree