Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Interface Frozen - is this Common?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fairly new (few months) M3LR owner here.

I got into my car this am to find that I could not shift into reverse to back out of my garage. Slight panic ensued when I realized the screen interface, and in fact all controls, were frozen. I did the dual-thumbwheel-reset, and thankfully everything rebooted properly.

How many times has this happened to you folks??

just two days ago, my Model 3 interface crashed twice in one day... (black screen, then reboots)... car still driveable throughout the reboot, good thing too.

I've only ever had such crashes (or felt the need to reboot), perhaps 4 times in 2 years, so it was odd...

This is the negative side to having a software based vehicle. But I've had this issue numerous times over the last several years. The last time I did the two scroll wheel reboot, it deleted all my settings, passwords, seat preferences, lost Satellite maps and odometer mileages. I had to enter it all back in manually, which took awhile. The maps and mileages came back after driving it a few miles.

So what happened? 2 week old MYLR with the AMD processor and this has happened 3 times now. Typically following Netfil/Disney plus but today happened with the climate window up and the right half of the screen turned into a star field (black with tons of white spots). I did a hard reboot while driving and it came back to life after a few minutes...

I've had my screen freeze up twice in the last two weeks (October 2023). I have a 2023 Model 3, bought in April 2023. The operating system is up to date. Driving wasn't affected, luckily. Tesla service said the car is fine, but this is worrying behavior. Is this happening to others?

I've had my screen freeze up twice in the last two weeks (October 2023). I have a 2023 Model 3, bought in April 2023. The operating system is up to date. Driving wasn't affected, luckily. Tesla service said the car is fine, but this is worrying behavior. Is this happening to others?
Remove the Sentry drive in the glove compartment (or re format it in the car) and see if the problem goes away. This goes double if you replaced the standard thumb drive with some large drive with a bunch of music on it.

When I had my 2018 Model 3 it started getting a lot of black screen issues requiring reboots. Once it did while driving and another time it did it when I was trying to backup into a Supercharger stall. And once after doing the reboot, I lost all my settings and my lifetime watt hours, the odometer mileage and even the GPS map. After driving it for a bit I got the odometer and map data back but still lost all my settings and password info, so I had to manually do that all over again, I was not happy.