Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 is a BMW, people

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't want to be "that guy", but BMW has been making a very popular and successful car since 1986 called the M3. Many of you have owned one, I have owned 2. We simply can't refer to the Model 3 as the M3. It would be like Burger King coming out with a new hamburger and calling it the Big Mac. To this day every time someone refers to their M3 I think oh cool they have a M3, oh wait they're calling their Tesla an M3.

Someone has to come up with something different. I'm not the creative type, it won't be me.

I don't want to be "that guy", but BMW has been making a very popular and successful car since 1986 called the M3. Many of you have owned one, I have owned 2. We simply can't refer to the Model 3 as the M3. It would be like Burger King coming out with a new hamburger and calling it the Big Mac. To this day every time someone refers to their M3 I think oh cool they have a M3, oh wait they're calling their Tesla an M3.

Someone has to come up with something different. I'm not the creative type, it won't be me.

TM3

I don't want to be "that guy", but BMW has been making a very popular and successful car since 1986 called the M3.
Please refrain from using "M3" for any vehicle as it is ambiguous. "BMW M3" is more precise.

See how that's basically the same thing as demanding that Tesla folks formalize as "TM3" or "Tesla M3"? Likewise for Mazda.

There's a reason Wikipedia has disambiguation pages:
M3 - Wikipedia

M3 (hieroglyph), the Ancient Egyptian baker's tool hieroglyph -- 3200 BC
Miles M.3 Falcon, a 1930s British four-seat cabin monoplane
Fifth and Madison Avenues Line - Wikipedia -- 1932
M3, an ISO metric screw thread size -- 1947
BMW M3, series of German high-performance cars, introduced in 1985
Mazda3 - Wikipedia -- 2008
Tesla Model 3, American electric car, introduced in 2016

Time to get over your BMW bias.

Last edited:

Well you're that guy

-Subaru Liberty, Jeep Liberty
-Dodge Daytona, Ferarri Daytona
-Fiat 600, Mercedes Benz 600
-Fiat 500, Ford 500
-Maserati Sebring, Chrysler Sebring
-Ford Sierra, GMC Sierra
-Pontiac GTO, Mitsubishi GTO, Ferarri GTO
-Dodge Lancer, Mitsubishi Lancer
-Ferarri F150, Ford F150

The list goes on and on get off it M3 is an easy shorthand

why not T3

upload_2019-10-4_9-6-7.jpeg

I only use TM3 / TM3P to avoid confusion.

If BMW's sales keep declining they may no longer be making an M3 and we'll be able to co-opt the term. :)

BMW sales are actually up monthly vs. last year, and YTD vs same period for the prior year.
Tesla sales are down M/M, and Q/Q, but up YTD vs same period last year:
U.S. Auto Manufacturer Sales Figures | GCBC

Please refrain from using "M3" for any vehicle as it is ambiguous. "BMW M3" is more precise.
See how that's basically the same thing as demanding that Tesla folks formalize as "TM3" or "Tesla M3"? Likewise for Mazda.[...]
Time to get over your BMW bias.

Don't be silly.
Any car guy knows what an ///M3 is, and it's not a Mazda or a Tesla!

Granted, majority of Tesla owners are not "car guys", thus the discussion in this thread!

a

beyond agree with this. pissed me off for so long seeing people refer to it has M3 in their posts.. thank you for shedding light!

BMW sales are actually up monthly vs. last year, and YTD vs same period for the prior year.
Tesla sales are down M/M, and Q/Q, but up YTD vs same period last year:
U.S. Auto Manufacturer Sales Figures | GCBC

How can that list be right when it lists a total of 57k sales for Tesla for Q3 when we know that Tesla sold 97k Model 3s in Q3 alone?

• Love
Reactions: focher and Jedi2155