Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 is a BMW, people

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't want to be "that guy", but BMW has been making a very popular and successful car since 1986 called the M3. Many of you have owned one, I have owned 2. We simply can't refer to the Model 3 as the M3. It would be like Burger King coming out with a new hamburger and calling it the Big Mac. To this day every time someone refers to their M3 I think oh cool they have a M3, oh wait they're calling their Tesla an M3.

Someone has to come up with something different. I'm not the creative type, it won't be me.
Actually BMW have made a car called the 3 series not the M3 the M3 in various guises is a sub set of the 3 series with attributes of the Famous BMW Motorsport badge. Some have been totally deserving of the M Sport badge others not so. BMW do not do a Model 3 end of debate

It would be interesting to compare the coming BMW iX3 with the Mach-E and the Tesla Model Y.

I don't like crossovers or SUVs. They just don't appeal to me. I don't mind the fastback style of the S, but I prefer a smaller sportier car. The BMW 3 series was just my style, but then over the years they just kept getting bigger and bigger and more bloated to the point when I finally bought one I hated it. The Tesla Model 3 is roughly the same size but it drives like a much smaller car.

Reactions: IceIceBaby
I don't want to be "that guy", but BMW has been making a very popular and successful car since 1986 called the M3. Many of you have owned one, I have owned 2. We simply can't refer to the Model 3 as the M3. It would be like Burger King coming out with a new hamburger and calling it the Big Mac. To this day every time someone refers to their M3 I think oh cool they have a M3, oh wait they're calling their Tesla an M3.

Someone has to come up with something different. I'm not the creative type, it won't be me.

But along all Tesla forums it stands for Model 3 ;p

To be honest, i feel the same way as you. the "M3" moniker should be reserved for the perfectly designed and tuned track vehicle that has been a staple and benchmark for performance. I saw some people mention TM3 in this thread which I much prefer. Plus it gets confusing when we call our cars an M3 LOL. o_O

Reactions: GuyDude
I don't like crossovers or SUVs. They just don't appeal to me. I don't mind the fastback style of the S, but I prefer a smaller sportier car. The BMW 3 series was just my style, but then over the years they just kept getting bigger and bigger and more bloated to the point when I finally bought one I hated it. The Tesla Model 3 is roughly the same size but it drives like a much smaller car.
2 is the new 3 lol.

• Funny
Reactions: KG M3
I felt the need to revive this thread. Was going to start my own but a search revealed that someone beat me to it.

I have had a Tesla Model 3 for a month now and people referring to it as an M3 on the forum is driving me nuts. M3 is an iconic BMW, not a Tesla Model 3. There has to be a different way to refer to the Tesla like TM3 or something. Nobody who is into cars (outside of this little forum bubble) would ever think Tesla if I told them I drive an M3.
100% agree

2 is the new 3 lol.

I looked at an M2 and seriously considered it, but I really wanted 4 doors. I had the 135i (which I loved) for 8 years and people hated riding in the back because getting in and out was a PITA. That's why I "stepped up" to the 340i and regretted it almost immediately. But I did drive it a lot more because people didn’t hate riding in it. Plus it was pretty luxurious, especially how quiet it was, which is the biggest thing I miss with the Tesla. But I love driving the Tesla, like I loved driving the 135i, so I've at least got that part back.

Reactions: IceIceBaby
This argument is done. Duplicated initialisms/names should be taken in context. This is the automotive equivalent of the grammar police. And this "confusion" already exists everywhere in the auto industry

• Chrysler 500/ Fiat 500
  • Chevy Nomad/Aerial Nomad
  • Austin 7/Lotus 7
  • Toyota Mark X/Jaguar Mark X
  • Volvo 940/Porsche 940
  • Suzuki Sierra/GMC Sierra
  • Mercedes S660/ Honda S660
  • Ferrari GTO/Chevy GTO
  • Ferarri Monza/Chevy Monza
  • Maserati Sebring/Chrysler Sebring
  • Nissan GTR/Mercedes-AMG GTR
  • Buick Century/Toyota Century
  • Lexus LS/Lincoln LS
  • Mercedes SL/Saturn SL
  • Mercedes SLS/Cadillac SLS
  • Ferarri California/ VW California
  • Plymouth Acclaim/Triumph Acclaim
  • Ferrari Daytona/Dodge Daytona
  • Pontiac Bonneville/Triumph Bonneville
  • Audi R8/Renault R8
  • Lancia Delta/Chrysler Delta
  • BMW 323/Mazda 323
  • Bentley Continental/Lincoln Continental
  • Lotus Excel/Hyundai Excel
  • Volvo 850/Fiat 850/BMW 850
  • TVR S3/Audi S3
  • Ferarri 308/Peugeot 308
  • Volvo 121/Mazda 121
  • Maserati Bora/VW Bora
  • Chevy Monte Carlo/Lancia Monte Carlo
  • Dodge Lancer/Mitsubishi Lancer
  • Tesla Roadster/ Literally every model car that's been labeled a roadster since 1926
And Just for the BMW specific people
  • Haima M5/BMW M5
  • Haima M3/BMW M3
  • Haima M8/BMW M8
This list literally goes on forever this is a stupid thing to be concerned/irritated/annoyed about I say this as a former BMW enthusiast

Last edited: