Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 is a BMW, people

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cisco's router operating system has been called IOS since the 1980s. Apple had to come to an agreement with them to use the name for their mobile devices. But when someone says IOS, you think Apple.

The low-production BMW M3 will be similarly overshadowed by the mass-production Tesla M3.

This is the true M3!

WZ617_zoom_D.jpg

Context, context, context...It's OK to use M3 on a Tesla forum because everyone knows what you're talking about. In public I call my car a Tesla Model 3.

My counter argument to "this is a tesla forum so everyone knows what we mean when we say "M3" would be, there are a LOT (and I mean a LOT) of us here who also had or still have BMWs, and many of those also have had, or have "M3s". Even "3" is better, and less typing.

This is the true M3!

WZ617_zoom_D.jpg

At least if you were on a golf (or golf club) forum, it would be a different medium. I really dont get the argument that "its just tesla forums talk" when you refer to one car as another one. Like I said, a "911" is one brands car. I dont care if there is a golf club called a 911, or a blender with that model number. If you are talking "cars" and you say "911" its one manufacturers car.

This is no different.... but hey there are a ton of people here who are determined to call this car an "M3" for some reason, when even "3" is less characters, so that blows the "its too many characters" argument out of the water.

• Disagree
Reactions: Misterbee
I don't want to be "that guy", but BMW has been making a very popular and successful car since 1986 called the M3. Many of you have owned one, I have owned 2. We simply can't refer to the Model 3 as the M3. It would be like Burger King coming out with a new hamburger and calling it the Big Mac. To this day every time someone refers to their M3 I think oh cool they have a M3, oh wait they're calling their Tesla an M3.

Someone has to come up with something different. I'm not the creative type, it won't be me.

100% agree. Particularly since the BMW car is literally named the M3, whereas the Tesla car is not. It's the Model 3. So we need to come up with something else. It reminds me of when people started to refer to LaDanian Tomlinson as LT. There is only one LT, that being Lawrence Taylor. So Tomlinson's abbreviation was changed to LDT. I guess TM3 would work?

• Disagree
Reactions: Misterbee