TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

M3 is a rough ride. You too?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by SciFriGuy, Dec 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SciFriGuy

SciFriGuy Member

My AWD with 18 inch wheels seems to rock and roll with every little bump or crack in the pavement. Even the tiny ones. Seems very tightly sprung. A pretty rough ride. Anyone else feel this problem?

• Disagree x 1
  2. Petrlol

Petrlol Member

I'm finding it a bit bumpy, a bit loud, especially with the cold weather. Wasn't as bad when it was in the 60s...

3. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

Nope.

In fact mine rides smoother than the owned-since-new Lexus it replaced.

Maybe check tire pressure to see if it came overinflated.....some folks reported getting cars in the mid-high 40s PSI range- taking that down a bit should help considerably.

4. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member

Mine feels great. I don't like a stiff suspension.

What tire pressure to running?

P.S. I run snow tires. All Seasons will turn into slippery plastic bricks when it's cold.

5. kelp

kelp New Member

I started noticing my ride was surprisingly rough after putting on snow tires and different rims. But @Petrlol comment about cold makes a lot of sense -- I suspect the suspension is probably much stiffer in the cold.

6. Tron 3

Tron 3 Member

I rebuilt/restored the Mustang you see there, and put in Shelby HP suspension. I couldn't believe how stiff the ride was compared to the stock setup. That's when I discovered the great cornering/handling that I got for the sacrificed comfort - then I loved it!
    My Model 3 feels just like it. These things were suspended for performance, not comfort. They are also safer without any slop in the suspension. The stiff ride is fine by me, I actually prefer it.

7. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I don’t want to drive my living room couch around. I want to feel every detail in the road.

• Funny x 1
  8. DR61

DR61 Member

No, it rides like what it is, a sports sedan. I would not want it any other way. It is NOT a 'luxury' car.

• Like x 2
  9. BillO

BillO Member

I really like the ride. Yes, it is firm, but I wouldn’t call it rough. I just took my first road trip from Santa Cruz to Orange County and back, and both my wife and I thought it was a great road trip car. I had a C5 Corvette a while back and it was much stiffer, not a road trip car.

• Like x 1
  10. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

I have seen that most people complaining of the ride quality are on the 18's, someone here posted that their friends on 19's rode better, I have only been in 3 different model 3's first one was on 18's but is was a dec 2017 build on the stiff springs and the ride was horrible! (IMO) then I took delivery of mine on 19's in April, I was very pleased with the ride quality compared to what I was worried I would get from the original 2 day test drive from a Turo rental, yes you can feel the road a lot but IMO it is very well damped for a sports sedan (just a great blend of handling/comfort) then my brother in law got his P3D+ and his car on the 20's rides considerably rougher but I have 15k miles now and his had 80 so theres that

11. animorph

animorph Active Member

It's a sport sedan. It rides softer than our old MINI, and I think pretty comparable to my old 2001 Porsche Carrera 4. And it's faster than either one. The performance of the car dictates the suspension setup to a large degree. Given that "limitation" I think it does very well.

• Like x 1
  12. Atari2600

Atari2600 Active Member

My last car was a WRX. With my all season tires at 45 PSI and Nokian R3 at 47 PSI the Tesla is so much easier on the kidneys.

13. kelly

kelly Supporting Member

I always thought my 3 built in April with 18" wheels rode a bit rough, but not enough to really bother me. Then I rode in my friend's June built 3 with 18" wheels and his was noticeably smoother. We both noticed the difference. I thought I would mention it to Tesla at my first service opportunity. But, within a day or so, I went back to thinking the ride is perfectly fine and I probably won't mention it to Tesla.

For what it is worth, he ride comparison was in 70 degree weather.

14. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

Strange that there would be a difference in the ride of builds that should have the same suspensions, could it be more milage on your friends or less air pressure in the tires? I can't think of what else it would be unless there were further iterations of the suspension between april and june? (mine is a may build)

15. kelly

kelly Supporting Member

My car had about 10K on it at the time and his probably had 5K. His tires were inflated in the low 40 psi range, mine were in the upper 30's. Pretty much the opposite of what would be expected.

16. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

maybe more than one change was made in the springs and dampers in that short time frame, I do remember reading something here that there were multiple part numbers on those

17. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

RWD suspension was changed at least twice FWIW- I had a thread with details back when the parts catalog first was made public but before they stripped the info from it with the specific dates if you wanna go look for it.

18. Drizzle

Drizzle Member

M3P and it's definitely bumpy vs cars in the $20k range. The suspension is sporty and the rims are tall. This is what happens.

19. Ciditad

Ciditad Member

Mine seems pretty supple and soft especially compared to my GTI...

• Like x 1
  20. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

Found it, started this thread for all to see RWD Many different dampers and springs
    Seems that my rear springs and dampers are not even listed in the catalog.