Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 issue in the Colorado Mountains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy,

I live in the mountains of CO. We have big time Winter.

Yesterday I drove from the house to Denver. My car, M3 red brakes, didn't feel safe.

I have snow tires -- Michelin Alpin Pilot PA4.

I travel over two passes to get to Denver; Vail Pass, and the West approach to The Eisenhower Tunnel.

On the way up Vail Pass the car was slipping. Luckily, there wasn't much traffic and I could keep momentum going. Otherwise, I might have got stuck.

On the approach to the tunnel it was worse.

Now before I go on, the conditions yesterday were just about as bad as they get. Semis were getting towed going up to the tunnel. Cars without snow tires were having trouble. Vail Pass was bad, but the plows had come through once.

On the approach up to the tunnel, I didn't feel safe. Because, if I had to stop I don't believe I could have started again without going sideways. If I go sideways, I slide into the next lane - crash.

Worse, the wipers failed. Well, not fail. But when I switched to Auto, they went fast back and forth. So I couldn't use Auto. Auto doesn't work anyway, so no biggie. The point is, I couldn't turn off the wipers. I think the reason why, was they were caked with ice. Elon's software didn't plan for wipers caked with ice. Here's a vid:

This video is from the east side of the tunnel, heading down to Denver. The roads look like summer compared to what I'd just driven through.

I'd post videos of the car going slipping. I was going to. But for some reason, there's no files on my dash cam from yesterday. Something else Elon needs to fix.

I've driven this trip who knows how many times - in Audis and our HIPEVAN. Never once, have I felt unsafe. In fact I dominate on the trip, because I'm in an Audi or our Van. I'm the guy going around everyone. Now, I'm the guy struggling.

Maybe it's the 20" tires? Could be. Today I stopped by the Littleton Service Center to beyotch. The rep I talked to said, "You're not the first one we've heard from about this".

I'm going to get 18's and put Hakkapaliitta's on. Maybe that will do the trick. But it pisses me off that I have to dump a lot of dough ray me into the car to maybe -- maybe -- get the performance brother Elon promised on the website. Brother Elon says his cars do great in the Winter, that his All-Wheel Drive rocks. At this point I don't believe brother Elon has been where Winter really happens. The wiper video is proof positive.

The M3 with Red Brakes is not a car for the Colorado Mountains, when Winter is on. Nope. That doesn't mean it sucks, doesn't mean it's not adequate for places where there's less Winter.

So what's the solution? Brother Elon needs to be straight with people. And, he needs to make an 18" wheel set, pronto.

I wish I had the dash cam vids, so Brother Elon could watch his car fail. I'd have posted them. Maybe Brother Elon knew his car was tanking, and deleted the vids? Just kidding. Sort of.

Peace and love,

Uhmmm. This has nothing to do with brakes. You're using summer tires in the snow!
You spent $70k on the car. Cough up another $2k for a set of 18" wheels and snow tires. Swap them out in the summer and you'll have the best performance in both the summer and the winter.
I'm glad you didn't have an accident. That is incredibly unsafe.
They are performance winter tires.

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 tire reviews information from Consumer Reports

Kind of funny, the 2 cons in reviews being ice and deep snow.

OP, what are your tire pressures?

They are performance winter tires.

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 tire reviews information from Consumer Reports

Kind of funny, the 2 cons in reviews being ice and deep snow.

OP, what are your tire pressures?
I deleted my post because I clearly have reading comprehension problems. I think getting 18" and highly rated snow tires is the way to go for winter driving. Mysterious that Michelin would sell snow tires that don't work in the snow. Sliding doesn't really have anything to do with the car.

When I bought the car the only tire I could find was the Michelin's. I've had that tire before, on my Audi's. It's good, but I like Blizzak's better. And of course Hakka's rule all.

I think the 20" tire, on that car, just isn't right for where I live Winter.

I'll also add that I don't believe the All-Wheel Drive is as good as Audi's Quattro.

I deleted my post because I clearly have reading comprehension problems. I think getting 18" and highly rated snow tires is the way to go for winter driving. Mysterious that Michelin would sell snow tires that don't work in the snow. Sliding doesn't really have anything to do with the car.

Oh I agree. But then why doesn't Brother Elon offer 18's on that car?

I don't believe the car in that config. is safe in where I live Winter. In fact I know it's not. I think it's a violation of truth in advertising to advertise that it is.

The Tesla 18" wheels don't leave enough room for the extra-large brakes of the performance Model 3. Also, the Tesla 18" and 19" wheels use tires with the same width and outer diameter as the stock tires on the 20" wheels, so I don't see why using the smaller wheels would improve traction in this case? Are you using the same size as the tires that Tesla sells with their 20" winter wheel package (235/35/20)?

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl
Oh I agree. But then why doesn't Brother Elon offer 18's on that car?

I don't believe the car in that config. is safe in where I live Winter. In fact I know it's not. I think it's a violation of truth in advertising to advertise that it is.

Wipers: I am pretty sure they can be turned off - see a prior post.

Definitely the stock P3D+ isn't safe in winter. I'm not sure whether that is really a truth in advertising thing though. Page 131 of the Model 3 owner's manual tells you that you need winter tires if your vehicle is equipped with summer tires!

I do understand you are NOT using the stock tires; I am just responding to the truth in advertising comment.

"Warning:
In cold temperatures or on snow
or ice, summer tires do not provide
adequate traction. Selecting and installing
the appropriate tires for winter conditions
is important to ensure the safety and
optimum performance of your Model 3 "

Anyway, regarding other modes, since you did not have the wipers turned off:

Were you in Chill mode?

Did you have Slip Start enabled? The manual recommends having it off in most conditions but obviously for some starting conditions it might be needed - however, it should be turned off afterwards from what I understand.

Regen was set to low? Understood you were driving uphill but it's not clear exactly when you were experiencing the worst sliding...

I thin name of his car is "M3 Red Brakes"
The reference to the 20" wheels makes me think it is an AWD performance with performance upgrade.
The TPMS is set to give a warning when tire pressure gets below a certain level. It does not know what tires you have on the car.

The wipers have manual settings for intermittent, low speed and high speed at least. Maybe the defroster would help minimize the ice. Hard to believe that he is the first Tesla with ice on his wipers.

The Tesla 18" wheels don't leave enough room for the extra-large brakes of the performance Model 3. Also, the Tesla 18" and 19" wheels use tires with the same width and outer diameter as the stock tires on the 20" wheels, so I don't see why using the smaller wheels would improve traction in this case? Are you using the same size as the tires that Tesla sells with their 20" winter wheel package (235/35/20)?

Actually snow tires with bigger sidewall dig into the snow better.

Running 20" low profile snow tires at 42psi is probably the issue here, not the car.

Do 18's even fit? That would be the ticket if they do.

you are clearly using the wrong wiper fluid.... You need de-icing windshield washer fluid.
81UK51wmk-L._SY679_.jpg

Last edited:
I think Tesla should either make damn sure that the Auto wipers work reliably in all conditions, or they need to find a way to make the manual modes easier to operate than fumbling around with the screen.
It was working reliably... the wipers were trying very hard to clean the dirty windshield as instructed by the driver. As a human we know that it won't work because it's dried salt and crap on the windshield. As a human, we are also responsible for removing the ice on our wipers before we start driving and using the appropriate washer fluid for our environment.

He also says he couldn't turn them off but only shows it in auto... no attempt on video to turn them off.

I'd post videos of the car going slipping. I was going to. But for some reason, there's no files on my dash cam from yesterday. Something else Elon needs to fix.

Did you press the camera icon to save the files? Certainly the dashcam is far from perfect (for example, apparently you should wait one minute after an event before pressing the save - otherwise it doesn't save what just happened...), but I have not had any problems with it saving - but you do have to tell it to save! The full info on this is on page 63 in the Owner's manual. That being said, wouldn't be surprised if you experienced a failure based on what I have read of people's experiences. So far I have had no issues except accumulation of a bunch of garbage files over time.

Last edited: