Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 - Issues/Complains (what I wish I had known before buying thread)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to labor the point, but surely the cost to automakers of including Homelink is way less than $325. There is no way Honda is stuffing Homelink into a $25k Accord, with a net profit of $4000 or less, and letting Homelink absorb 10% of their profit.

Not a huge deal as far as complaints go, but like having service centers refuse to answer the phone, it's just another unforced error by Tesla.

Reactions: Durzel
I realize that I was unlucky, but here's what I wish I understood before I purchased:

1. These cars absolutely break down. Any notion that they are "maintenance free" is fantasy. My M3 is the only car I have ever owned that stranded me.

2. Tesla has expanded production MUCH faster then they have added service capacity. The service centers are swamped. My car, with only 748 miles on the OD is sitting in a lot at the service center for three days now and hasn't even been looked at, much less parts ordered to fix. I have no idea when it will be repaired. And nobody is communicating with me about the process. In short, Tesla service SUCKS if you are unlucky enough to have a problem. I realize most will not. But if you do, you are screwed.

2. Tesla has expanded production MUCH faster then they have added service capacity. The service centers are swamped. My car, with only 748 miles on the OD is sitting in a lot at the service center for three days now and hasn't even been looked at, much less parts ordered to fix. I have no idea when it will be repaired. And nobody is communicating with me about the process. In short, Tesla service SUCKS if you are unlucky enough to have a problem. I realize most will not. But if you do, you are screwed.
While Tesla has struggled with Service keeping pace with sales, I will say they are certainly making a strong effort, they've just had to be strategic in their plan.

I happen to live in a high Tesla concentration area (Orange County, CA). When I purchased my 3 in August 2019, the ONLY facility was Costa Mesa. Shortly after, they opened the Santa Ana facility targeted primarily to the 3 (and the then-upcoming Y) and recently opened a new large facility in Irvine. All are within a 5-10 min drive of my work. This example certainly doesn't help you at all, but I view it as overall good progress.

I am not sure how the Tesla population density in Birmingham is, but hopefully they can expand there soon.

From a business perspective, a growing company needs to carefully manage its costs if it wants to survive. Building too many facilities too fast will be an excessive drain on capital resources and can doom a company. Personally, I would rather Tesla be a little more conservative and be around for a while.

Atlanta has 3 SCs. I don't know if another is needed, they just need to staff up the ones they have. I made a service appointment for two months out, and then I get there and there are zero people running the desk. I had to go wander the service bay.

• Informative
Reactions: afadeev