Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Keycard Holder Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So happy my Mother's Day present came early!!! It's a bit cumbersome to have to dig in my purse to find my wallet with the keycard in it. Now I have this attached to my keychain and it's so much better. With my bright red color, the valet folks won't have a hard time finding my key. Unfortunately, in LA parking is limited and sometimes valet is the only option. Has nothing to do with being too lazy to park my own car. In fact, several valet companies almost lost my keycard before. They end up leaving it randomly somewhere because it can't hang on the traditional hooks like regular keys.

I'm sure some will give an eye roll to my awesome keycard holder, but I love it and think its very convenient. Putting my M3 keycard in a Ziploc bag days are done. LOL

IMG_7445.jpg
IMG_7446.jpg

I think things like this are great ideas, but they are way overpriced for their function. But if you're constantly using it on a daily basis and it looks good enough for you to justify the price, far be it for me to tell you how to spend your money. Personally, I keep one of these in my car to put the key card in for valet purposes. It has a key ring so they can hang it up and a slip that has the license plate number written on it so they can figure out which car it belongs to if they lose the tag. I valet so rarely though that all I wanted was something functional.

I think things like this are great ideas, but they are way overpriced for their function. But if you're constantly using it on a daily basis and it looks good enough for you to justify the price, far be it for me to tell you how to spend your money. Personally, I keep one of these in my car to put the key card in for valet purposes. It has a key ring so they can hang it up and a slip that has the license plate number written on it so they can figure out which car it belongs to if they lose the tag. I valet so rarely though that all I wanted was something functional.
NIce!
It was definitely a nice and useful gift. Great you found something that works well for you too!

For what it's worth, I am thinking about getting a phone case with a slot on the back that will hold credit cards. That way I can always have the Key Card handy, rather than having to find it in my wallet. Or, pulling my wallet out of my book bag when I'm going to work.
I've been researching cases for this very reason. So far have found a couple potential candidates but nothing perfect. Ideally it would hold three cards (credit card, id, and Model 3 key) securely, without adding much bulk to the phone. My current phone case is very slim, and used mostly for scratch protection and to make it less slippery to hold (as opposed to drop protection).

Reactions: gemmisa

I bought these after seeing them here and liking how they looked and I'm returning them after only a day. I don't know if it's working for you, but the thin plastic that sandwiches the card shields it enough to interfere with the card being read by the B-pillar card reader. I didn't even bother trying the center console reader because no matter what I did, I couldn't get the card to read while in this holder.

I'm also worried that the aluminum frame would cause scratches on the glass. I have a wrap on my center console, but I'm certain it would scratch the piano black finish really easily. Not like it couldn't happen with plastic or leather, but it seems much more likely with this.

Lastly, the card isn't secure when it's in the holder and it's too easy to pop it out just by pushing on it instead of sliding it out. I could easily see some valet not being careful this this and losing the card because it fell out of the holder.

It's too bad because I think it looks really nice, but I'm going back to the cheap plastic ones that I linked earlier.