Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 lease ending mid-late december / want to lease model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

astrorob

stealth performance M3
Aug 27, 2014
oakland, ca
Hi everyone, sorry if this is a FAQ but i didn't see anything or my search-fu is weak.

i have a 2019 M3P for which the lease will end in late december 2022. we wanted to get a MYP to replace this car. i called tesla to ask if there is any way to link a new lease with an old lease and the answer is no. the two 'options' that were presented to me were to put my MY order in now, and then terminate the M3 lease early (under the assumption that the MYP would deliver jul-september), or to put the order in later, potentially missing december if things go really wrong, and then extend the lease on the M3 until the MYP is actually ready if that happens.

obviously the latter is suboptimal because we'll pay a full year of registration on the M3 and then at the most, get 6 months of extension.

something that came up in the call was that if i were to order an MY now (which would be early for my timeframe if their lead times are accurate), then deny delivery of a car matched to me, that if in 90 days another car matches i can accept that car. however, if i deny that car the order will be canceled. that implies that denying a match does not put the order back to the beginning of the queue since i assume the queue depth is > 90 days even now. but maybe not, perhaps that is a bad assumption. they couldn't really elaborate on how a canceled order is actually treated or if it is an exact match, or a loose match, or what.

anyone gone thru this dance with tesla? is it worth the risk of doing a cancellation by ordering now, or should i just wait a month or two to place an order?

thanks.

oh right, yeah, i checked into that a few months ago and was surprised that the lease termination will cost me $0 right now. i should check again but i have been assuming the cost will be 0 given the continued pressure on the car market.

i guess overall i am needlessly obsessed with ending the lease on time and dovetailing the other car exactly.

it looks like tesla now has employees tracking lease end/prospective new lease. i got a voicemail and email from someone at tesla saying they could coordinate a new lease with this lease's end. however at this point i'm really not sure i want another tesla.

it looks like tesla now has employees tracking lease end/prospective new lease. i got a voicemail and email from someone at tesla saying they could coordinate a new lease with this lease's end. however at this point i'm really not sure i want another tesla.
How soon before the actual lease end date did you receive a contact? I’m also curious when to order my next lease given all the production delays currently.

quite a long ways out, like 6.5 months - my lease matures mid december 2022. i think is is likely due to the production delays and the fact that people who are not on top of things will be very disappointed if they try to order a car at lease end.

this guy was telling me that the order should be placed now to guarantee a proper dovetail and if need be he could delay the order if supply loosens up a little.

honestly given the way tesla operates i'm very surprised at this but someone on their end is thinking long-term.

Reactions: evroro
To add it looks like the self driving is behind Tesla and their due to release a subscription service. Has more cameras and sensors on the roof. Even virtual reality. The great thing about the NIO cars is you can swop the battery out at a robotic station in a few minutes or sell your battery back to them and opt for a longer range battery. You can save more by renting the battery. You can choose a different interior with extra drivers screen and proper ambient lighting. Hatch back. No wooden dashboard its all high luxury for thousands less. Check out the EV Viking channel.