Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 lemon law arbitration with Tesla resolutions team

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model 3 which is under 1 year old, with recurrent safety restraint issues, repaired 4 times, the first time just diagnostic, second, third and fourth with parts replaced. Did well for a month after last repair, back to same issues, including complete brake failure last time. I have initiated the process for lemon law, since it is 5th time the car is in for same issue and the safety restraint fault is a major issue should a crash happen(airbags wont deploy or could be faulty).

At this time, SC mgr is my point of contact, coordinating with Tesla Resolutions team, its 3 days so far.

1. What timeline should I expect should Tesla decide to buyback the car?
2. I have also mailed the National consumer dispute settlement arbitration team in Dallas with copy of all the prior service records. This is outlined in new Tesla warranty document,as the preferred arbitration process.

Ideally I do not want to drive this car again and hope Tesla buys back this car soon. Planning to replace with Model Y. After reading old threads, sounds like this process could take 1 week to 3 months. Wanting some input about what to expect

Not with Tesla, but I had a Lemon Law claim with a different manufacture. It took nearly 6 months before I got paid back. This was during COVID, so is very relevant. Tesla will not move fast. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla makes you go through arbitration just to drag the process out. In my case, it was a buyback without arbitration.

I also suggest not posting on social media until all is said and done because they can use that against you. Generally it is something you sign off on stating you will not talk about it outside family.

Did you get 3X?
Tesla ended up having to pay a lot more than the value of the car (MSRP at the time of purchase + tax + Lic/registration + all financing interest paid on the car] plus a civil penalty and all my attorney fees. They also had to pay me interest on the total judgment from 30 or so days after I had sent the letter to them to the day they sent me the final settlement check. (it was about 14 months of interest)...

I got my 2021 M3 SR in March. While on a road trip 2k miles away from home in Birmingham Alabama my car stopped accepting a new charge and displayed error code BMS_a029. They told me they had to replace the entire battery, under warranty. My car has been in the service center since 8/29/21 (31 days as of today). I purchased my car in California and also live here. Tesla has HORRIBLE customer service and it was nearly impossible to get in touch with a manager. I mailed Tesla a letter today stating everything that happened and citing lemon law verbiage. Now I gotta wait and see how they respond.
Has anyone else had their car in the shop over the 30 day mark and claimed lemon law? I’m trying to figure out the processes and how tesla handles this. Thanks.

Attachments

• 2C3AE17B-957A-4DE8-BC58-D47F393C9E76.jpeg
    2C3AE17B-957A-4DE8-BC58-D47F393C9E76.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 215
  • BDDA73D3-C0D4-4071-9009-CDD81E2CF85A.jpeg
    BDDA73D3-C0D4-4071-9009-CDD81E2CF85A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
I got my 2021 M3 SR in March. While on a road trip 2k miles away from home in Birmingham Alabama my car stopped accepting a new charge and displayed error code BMS_a029. They told me they had to replace the entire battery, under warranty. My car has been in the service center since 8/29/21 (31 days as of today). I purchased my car in California and also live here. Tesla has HORRIBLE customer service and it was nearly impossible to get in touch with a manager. I mailed Tesla a letter today stating everything that happened and citing lemon law verbiage. Now I gotta wait and see how they respond.
Has anyone else had their car in the shop over the 30 day mark and claimed lemon law? I’m trying to figure out the processes and how tesla handles this. Thanks.
Yup just file arbitration process

They just bought mine back this past Wednesday. The process was pretty quick as it took about five weeks altogether. To do this without arbitration, I sent letters to the Resolutions team, the CA Attorney General, the New Vehicle Motor Board and others during that time. I got every penny back, from registration to down payment to each monthly payments, which I put toward a Model Y, which I picked up the next day.

Reactions: jiehan
They just bought mine back this past Wednesday. The process was pretty quick as it took about five weeks altogether. To do this without arbitration, I sent letters to the Resolutions team, the CA Attorney General, the New Vehicle Motor Board and others during that time. I got every penny back, from registration to down payment to each monthly payments, which I put toward a Model Y, which I picked up the next day.
what was problem with your car? can you please share any sample letters

I sent my initial letter and cc’d all subsequent correspondences to [email protected]. I had submitted four service requests because my screen would die and/or freeze for entire drives despite me doing the two-button reset and even disconnecting the main battery to reset the car. They could never figure out how to fix it.

They have more details on where to send requests on their pdf but the process for me was surprisingly easy once the ball gets rolling.

Reactions: jiehan
Can you please share email or postal address.
What is email for CA Attorney General or how to contact them?
Or should we request meeting with Attorney General Rob Bonta?

Can you please help.