Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should I get?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jjw4575

Nov 13, 2019
Here
**You can skip this part I'm just explaining my situation** I'm going to get rid of my current car (0 debt no profit) and going to get a model 3. I'm going to finance it via lease 3rd party (cause you dont have the option to buy your lease at the end with tesla). However I believe I will be limited on MONTHLY cost. **

*My dilemma*
Model 3 long range + FSD = $55k
Model 3 performance No FSD = $56k
Which version should I persue??
I can't afford the extra $ to get m3p fsd.
I'm not sure if FSD is worth 7k
I'm not sure if the extra speed is worth it.
I know I can add the FSD later but i probably won't be able to afford it for about 3+ years.
I know whatever motor config you get you're stuck with.
PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE!!!
Thank u

...whatever motor config you get you're stuck with....

If you drive on a race track that often, then FSD is not useful there but Performance is.

If you drive in traffic a lot, then FSD is very useful and there would be very little chance you can use your Performance feature in a traffic jam.

Without FSD, you still have autopilot steering within a lane.

However, I've found the Auto Lane Change feature is so good that I think it is well worth it to pay FSD for the Auto Lane Change.

Tesla without performance package is super fast. For the life of me, I can’t understand why people need extra speed or 0-60 time reduced by about one second. I have a standard model X and I have it on “Chill” mode, even with that it is super fast. I have LR model 3 with FSD in order (waiting for December delivery).

For me, unless you spend you spend your days on the track racing other cars, or you want to “jump” on green lights.

The max speed goes from 145 to 162 (LR to Performance). But would you ever drive at that speed? They are just abstract numbers. The range, which is actually useful, declines from 322 to 310.

Call me old fashioned, but I don’t see the merit of spending even $100 more on a performance model.

It depends entirely on your preference, whether you enjoy spirited driving or prefer to be on the leading edge of autonomous driving.

I had the same choice to make, and in my case, the biggest reason I was buying the car is because I loved driving it. Given that choice I opted to go with a Stealth AWD without FSD (for now).... I still have the option of adding FSD in the future if they roll out a feature that is a must-have for me.

my $0.02

The big difference between the performance and the non performance AWD is the torque up to about 60mph. After that the highway acceleration doesn't have as much of a difference between the two. The point about not adding more power with the LR AWD is only partly true. Tesla could sell a power bump software package or release a free over the air update.

For FSD, how long is your commute? Would you be doing many trips where Navigate on Autopilot would be useful? It's finally getting to the point where it can make decent lane changes, and I'm sure it will improve more over the next year or so. You will already have HW3 so you can take advantage of the new software coming out.

**You can skip this part I'm just explaining my situation** I'm going to get rid of my current car (0 debt no profit) and going to get a model 3. I'm going to finance it via lease 3rd party (cause you dont have the option to buy your lease at the end with tesla). However I believe I will be limited on MONTHLY cost. **

*My dilemma*
Model 3 long range + FSD = $55k
Model 3 performance No FSD = $56k
Which version should I persue??
I can't afford the extra $ to get m3p fsd.
I'm not sure if FSD is worth 7k
I'm not sure if the extra speed is worth it.
I know I can add the FSD later but i probably won't be able to afford it for about 3+ years.
I know whatever motor config you get you're stuck with.
PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE!!!
Thank u
Test drive a P3D and an AWD to see if the extra power makes any difference at all to you. If so, obviously get the P3D and buy FSD at a later date.

My 2 cents: The AWD has more than enough power for 99% of us. There is no legitimate reason to need the extra power of a P3D other than the satisfaction of knowing you have the top-of-the-line Model 3.

I've had my AWD 14 months and launching is so much fun. Not to show off or compete with anybody, just to enjoy. However, to this day, I have never floored it 100% one single time. Even launching at ~90% of full power, you need to grip the steering wheel with both hands. That's more than enough for me.

Yes the P has faster to 0-60 and slightly faster top speed, but how often will you get to use those? The punch from the AWD is still amazing, and no matter how fast, you will eventually adapt and it won't be as fun as new (until you get an OTA that increases performance 5% lmao).

imo the extra money for a sliiiightly faster car makes no sense. The AWD is already insanely fast and fun for a passenger car.

FSD will keep getting better over time with new abilities. It won't be very fun to see everyone else getting the latest stuff, even if you can get to 60 half a second faster than the AWD.

The big difference between the performance and the non performance AWD is the torque up to about 60mph. After that the highway acceleration doesn't have as much of a difference between the two. The point about not adding more power with the LR AWD is only partly true. Tesla could sell a power bump software package or release a free over the air update.

It's even less dramatic than that. I think the 0-20 is the biggest difference between the P and non-P (although P has quite a bit more kick, tbf). The 30-60, 40-60, 50-80, etc are almost exactly the same.

Tesla without performance package is super fast. For the life of me, I can’t understand why people need extra speed or 0-60 time reduced by about one second. I have a standard model X and I have it on “Chill” mode, even with that it is super fast. I have LR model 3 with FSD in order (waiting for December delivery).

For me, unless you spend you spend your days on the track racing other cars, or you want to “jump” on green lights.

The max speed goes from 145 to 162 (LR to Performance). But would you ever drive at that speed? They are just abstract numbers. The range, which is actually useful, declines from 322 to 310.

Call me old fashioned, but I don’t see the merit of spending even $100 more on a performance model.

This is the same argument anyone makes when trying to decide whether to purchase a 4 cylinder version of a car or a 6 cylinder if available (Like BMW 430 Vs 440).

The difference is, speed in a tesla is a LOT more accessible to everyone than it is in that BMW. people that dont see the value in buying an M3 (the real one) wont see the value in buying a Model 3performance. Those that do, do /shrug.

The model 3 is one of the best bang for buck performance cars in existence right now, in just about every trim it exists in. Its just that the performance variant is fast enough to outrun (on a street) just about anything other than another tesla. Even if you dont use it (often) or (at all), some people like knowing they can and are willing to pay for it. Either you are one of those people, or you arent.

The "value" proposition of a model 3P is in relationship to things like M3s, M5s, Porsches, RX7s, Mustangs etc. Not honda accords.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shemp
I'm going to finance it via lease 3rd party (cause you dont have the option to buy your lease at the end with tesla).

FSD + lease == 100% waste of money.
It doesn't really work today, and likely wont be fully functional before you lease term is up.

If you have to ask strangers on how to spend your money.... I say invest into bridges over East River!

a

I picked Red AWD + FSD vs white P without FSD.
I figured AWD is fast enough for daily driving and extra acceleration of P is not useful unless to track it, but I use FSD features daily.
Also, 20" summer wheels on P cars are another headache for me during winter times.

Reactions: Maximus-MX
FSD + lease == 100% waste of money.
It doesn't really work today, and likely wont be fully functional before you lease term is up.
I thought this was a purchase. That was why I suggested paying for FSD. If it’s a lease, then I don’t think FSD is worth it, because I don’t think anything significant will happen in three years (I would be glad to be wrong). If you buy it and keep the car say for 6 or more years, FSD is worth it. However, I still would not spend $100 more for performance model. But that’s me.