Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 LR ordered today! Options on selling old car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Next up I have to sell the i3s asap, it’s going on motorway tomorrow.
I went through that process a few weeks back. I got an 'OK' quote from WBAC and Motorway (Wizzle, Cazoo and the rest were a waste of time). I put it on Autotrader and I got a lot of calls eventually selling it for significantly more. I know the Autotrader route seems like hassle but IMO worth a £50 punt.

I think you are mixing up Motorway and Autotrader.
Not really, with Motorway the dealer will come around to pick up your car once a deal has been struck. When my pal sold his car, the dealer argued that the car wasn't in the conditions as described and tried to negotiate a lower price.
I could not be bothered with that, but accept that others might have had better experiences.

When you list on Motorway they give you a valuation and ask if they can get that will you be happy with it. If you say yes then there is no further negotiation as long as the vehicle is ‘accurately described’. I got a value I was happy with at the outset and that was the price paid by the dealer. They sent a 3rd party to collect and money was transferred immediately.

Reactions: G4WFT
Have to say this far the motorway option seemed pretty slick. Already received a £1000 deposit. Dealer is sorting out remaining finance on Friday. Collection arranged for Wednesday. The guy coming is a driver but he obviously will fully inspect the car (which is immaculate). I’ll post again once the car is away and give my final opinions on the process. So far so good though.

I sold two cars through Motorway prior to ordering my Model 3 and they were great, although their website does not handle two cars being sold by the same person/PC and gets confused. Luckily a few calls to their service desk sorted that out (their desk queuing needs work though).

In both cases the winning dealer I think had put the funds for my cars in some kind of escrow account and they both used a company called Pro Driver to inspect and collect the car, which was friendly and painless in both cases. They take a few photos (a couple of blemishes which would polish out), then phoned the dealers, said "car looks good...nothing to worry about", dealer then hits a button on the MW website I believe, which releases the funds, I confirm they have hit my bank (can take up to an hour I believe), collection agent then drives away only once the funds have been received and its then an online process to transfer the vehicle via the DVLA website. All very easy and saves a lot of frankly tiresome interaction via "normal" methods.

Dependant on the car, I would also advise getting any scuffs and scratches smart repaired - Chips Away did a great job for frankly peanuts on the tail gate of one car, removing some scratches (dogs ingress/egress marks). This will help regardless of the method of sale used and saves the dealer/buyer having it done.

Have to say this far the motorway option seemed pretty slick. Already received a £1000 deposit. Dealer is sorting out remaining finance on Friday. Collection arranged for Wednesday. The guy coming is a driver but he obviously will fully inspect the car (which is immaculate). I’ll post again once the car is away and give my final opinions on the process. So far so good though.

My motorway experience was superb. As you describe leading up to the handover process, which was easy too. Driver arrived, checked the car, immediate bank transfer to me, handed over the keys and off he went. Simples. And a good deal more £ than WBAC. I’m confident you’ll be pleased with the overall process.

Equally confident you’ll love the Model 3, I’m two years in with mine now and still love it. Regular trips up to Glasgow for football for me and the drive up is a breeze in the Model 3, for some reason I find a long journey in it much less tiring than in previous cars. Also find the supercharger at Eurocentral really handy to fill up before heading home, never too busy in my experience.

I have also sold my last car via Motorway and similar to @interbear I could not fault the process, the key thing is making sure you have detailed all the chips/scrapes/bumps during the photo upload process. The guy collected mine had a quick look around the car, checked docs, had the engine running for 5 mins (weird writing/thinking of an engine now ;)) then rang the dealer and funds appeared in my account then off he drove. Ironically the guy spent more time asking me questions/looking around my Model 3 that had been delivered the day before (good diversion tactic maybe)

Another plus for Motorway from me. I sold my 2018 Golf R through them September 2020 and got more than the online price guides (Autotrader etc) indicated. They came and picked it up as promised and the money was in my account within 30 minutes - before they left with the car of course!

Reactions: Katic1972
Let me give you all an update on where I am in this sale. I was due to have my i3s collected by the winning motorway dealer tomorrow. He paid me £1000 last week as deposit and closed on my outstanding finance balance on Friday as agreed.

Unfortunately I contracted covid so contacted the dealer who graciously thanked me for my honesty and transferred the balance of funds (between sale price and settlement figure) into my account.

Moreover, my direct line car insurance was due to end on 27/10 (day of collection). The dealer put my i3s on his trade insurance.

I won’t be driving her as I’m in quarantine and the car is fully off road in my driveway anyway.

The dealer said he will collect the car next week when I’m out of quarantine.

Have to say I’m blown away by this, the finance is fully cleared and the monies in my account and the lovely chap saved me having to extend insurance for a week.

Can’t fault the motorway approach and I’m delighted with the dealer. Thought I’d share my experience, as promised.

Let me give you all an update on where I am in this sale. I was due to have my i3s collected by the winning motorway dealer tomorrow. He paid me £1000 last week as deposit and closed on my outstanding finance balance on Friday as agreed.

Unfortunately I contracted covid so contacted the dealer who graciously thanked me for my honesty and transferred the balance of funds (between sale price and settlement figure) into my account.

Moreover, my direct line car insurance was due to end on 27/10 (day of collection). The dealer put my i3s on his trade insurance.

I won’t be driving her as I’m in quarantine and the car is fully off road in my driveway anyway.

The dealer said he will collect the car next week when I’m out of quarantine.

Have to say I’m blown away by this, the finance is fully cleared and the monies in my account and the lovely chap saved me having to extend insurance for a week.

Can’t fault the motorway approach and I’m delighted with the dealer. Thought I’d share my experience, as promised.
What a lovely uplifting story! Hope you get better soon!

Great to hear such a positive experience - I tried WBAC, Wizzle and Motorway, and Motorway came through head and shoulders with their valuation. It ended up being Arnold Clark who submitted the winning bid but it was no stress at all sorting pickup and transfer of funds.

@Katic1972 hoping your quarantine is as stress free as it can be!

Reactions: Katic1972
Update. The dealers representative arrived at my house, me now out of quarantine and gave the car a once over. There was no further attempt at renegotiation or attempts to eek out more on the deal.

Motorway was absolutely wonderful to deal with and maybe I got lucky by having a dealer who was clearly a decent, sensible and lovely human being.

So that’s us a one car fam until the M3LR is due in December. I will miss my i3s it was a fantastic city car and a great introduction to the EV world. Now eagerly waiting on starting my Tesla journey in December.

Update. The dealers representative arrived at my house, me now out of quarantine and gave the car a once over. There was no further attempt at renegotiation or attempts to eek out more on the deal.

Motorway was absolutely wonderful to deal with and maybe I got lucky by having a dealer who was clearly a decent, sensible and lovely human being.

So that’s us a one car fam until the M3LR is due in December. I will miss my i3s it was a fantastic city car and a great introduction to the EV world. Now eagerly waiting on starting my Tesla journey in December.

This is very similar to my very positive Motorway experience. Really good way to sell a car. Hope your COVID recovery is going well.

Wasn’t going to sell so early but it saves on two monthlies and insurance plus I took advantage of getting a great price £27k rather than the paltry Tesla trade in or anywhere else.

It’s a cracking wee car and I can wholly recommend one to anyone looking for a second EV or to have as an EV city car. Especially in Scotland where public charging is still in very many places free.