Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 LR Real World Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am interested to get a few responses from owners on here as to the real world typical range of a M3 LR. I completely understand that like ICE vehicles, it varies depending on acceleration and so on. Part of the reason I ask this is I live in Lincolnshire, and sometimes travel to Torbay, which is around 277 miles. I am aware of the supercharger network, but would like an understanding before travelling to test drive. 😊 Thank you in advance!

I have an M3 LR on the 19” wheels.

I’ve charged to 100% 3 times, and from each of these charges I drove around 230-240 miles before plugging in with 50 miles remaining.

So I’m getting about 280 or so to a full charge on a mix of A roads and motorways. The weather is generally cold where I am (north), and I don’t hang around (within the speed limits) so these are factors to consider.

On recent runs where headwinds have been a factor, as you’d expect I achieve less mi than range suggests.

For example, I started at 250mi this morning, drove about 40mi with headwinds most of the way, and I arrived with 192mi range remaining.

I have an M3 LR on the 19” wheels.

I’ve charged to 100% 3 times, and from each of these charges I drove around 230-240 miles before plugging in with 50 miles remaining.

So I’m getting about 280 or so to a full charge on a mix of A roads and motorways. The weather is generally cold where I am (north), and I don’t hang around (within the speed limits) so these are factors to consider.

On recent runs where headwinds have been a factor, as you’d expect I achieve less mi than range suggests.

For example, I started at 250mi this morning, drove about 40mi with headwinds most of the way, and I arrived with 192mi range remaining.
Very interesting, thanks for the response!

M3 75kwh, no heat pump (so newer ones better).

In Europe a few years ago, I didn't care, there are loads of Superchargers in most places. In Germany I went fast when it was safe and roads are so good that passengers preferred high speed in Germany to slower speeds elsewhere. We charged every 2-3 stops, other stops were for us (coffee, toilet, food). M3LR just ate up the distances.

In UK, I've rarely used Superchargers. When going to/from the beach, I have a range above 300 miles, but that includes lots of slow traffic. The slower you go, the longer range you get (aerodynamics). Slowing from 70 to 65 makes a huge difference. Acceleration isn't such a big deal as ICE cars, but one-foot driving with little braking/good observation helps a lot. On holidays, I find local chargers or even plug in granny charger at friends' houses.

Return trip at normal driving speeds (not reduced) - 8:35 hours driving + 46 minutes charging costing £21. Play with settings for miles (forgot to change), winter, loads, exact locations etc. ABRP is free (there is a premium option, never used), try out some likely problematic journeys (always check return trips as it lists additional chargers you might want in case of diversions, earthquakes etc). Click on table icon to see table like below.

Looking at below, you would stand a chance to do each leg without charging (except at destination).

Lincoln>Torquay is 90+88-(29+55) = 94 (hopefully maths right, am a bit tired).

Leave Lincoln with 100%, get to Torquay with 6% + reserve (bigger reserve in Tesla than many other EVs). Slow down for PART of the journey and you'll have 10+% remaining. Charge immediately at destination (hot battery good for charging, cold batteries may lose even more power, will charge slowly). If you can plug in at all at destination, even a granny charger, it's doable. However, I don't think it's sensible to drive for many hours without a break, even in a Tesla (which is far less tiring), so a charging/toilet break probably welcome!

A Better Routeplanner

1641157410998.png

1641158343952.png

Reactions: GH2000
Have a read of this thread for some more real world stats, and be aware that weather makes a big difference to range in winter compared to summer.

M3 75kwh, no heat pump (so newer ones better).

In Europe a few years ago, I didn't care, there are loads of Superchargers in most places. In Germany I went fast when it was safe and roads are so good that passengers preferred high speed in Germany to slower speeds elsewhere. We charged every 2-3 stops, other stops were for us (coffee, toilet, food). M3LR just ate up the distances.

In UK, I've rarely used Superchargers. When going to/from the beach, I have a range above 300 miles, but that includes lots of slow traffic. The slower you go, the longer range you get (aerodynamics). Slowing from 70 to 65 makes a huge difference. Acceleration isn't such a big deal as ICE cars, but one-foot driving with little braking/good observation helps a lot. On holidays, I find local chargers or even plug in granny charger at friends' houses.

Return trip at normal driving speeds (not reduced) - 8:35 hours driving + 46 minutes charging costing £21. Play with settings for miles (forgot to change), winter, loads, exact locations etc. ABRP is free (there is a premium option, never used), try out some likely problematic journeys (always check return trips as it lists additional chargers you might want in case of diversions, earthquakes etc). Click on table icon to see table like below.

Looking at below, you would stand a chance to do each leg without charging (except at destination).

Lincoln>Torquay is 90+88-(29+55) = 94 (hopefully maths right, am a bit tired).

Leave Lincoln with 100%, get to Torquay with 6% + reserve (bigger reserve in Tesla than many other EVs). Slow down for PART of the journey and you'll have 10+% remaining. Charge immediately at destination (hot battery good for charging, cold batteries may lose even more power, will charge slowly). If you can plug in at all at destination, even a granny charger, it's doable. However, I don't think it's sensible to drive for many hours without a break, even in a Tesla (which is far less tiring), so a charging/toilet break probably welcome!

A Better Routeplanner

View attachment 751203

View attachment 751213
Thank you for that! Certainly gives me confidence it will suit 98% of my driving journeys!

Reactions: UkNorthampton
I find that 270 miles on a full charge seems to be possible at motorway speeds with two adults and luggage in the car for a late 2020 LR with the heat pump in temperatures around 10°C. Don't forget that over a run you'll probably only manage an average of about 50-55mph unless the roads are really clear.

TBH on a long journey I try to charge whenever we stop for a break, it often means I can get to the next stop if there are no chargers available or just makes use of the time, I've not yet had to queue, but I'm not going to busy locations most of the time. I really only need to plan destination charging most of the time.

Honest question. Would you normally do those 277 miles without a stop for stuff like a loo break, lunch etc. in realistic traffic that’s a 5 hour drive and personally I regard that as too long to safely drive without stopping As does the RAC RAC research reveals safety risk - how long do you drive without stopping? | RAC Drive

so since they recommend 15 mins per 2 hours, you can easily fit in a charge each way that will get you home a lot safer and refreshed then trying to tough it out. So the question is more a mindset one, than a car one imo

Honest question. Would you normally do those 277 miles without a stop for stuff like a loo break, lunch etc. in realistic traffic that’s a 5 hour drive and personally I regard that as too long to safely drive without stopping As does the RAC RAC research reveals safety risk - how long do you drive without stopping? | RAC Drive

so since they recommend 15 mins per 2 hours, you can easily fit in a charge each way that will get you home a lot safer and refreshed then trying to tough it out. So the question is more a mindset one, than a car one imo
No definitely would stop at least once 😊 just as someone who has never owned an EV, there is a few concerns about the actual range but I reckon they are now well covered!

No definitely would stop at least once 😊 just as someone who has never owned an EV, there is a few concerns about the actual range but I reckon they are now well covered!
Yeah. That was one of the biggest mental hurdles I had to jump. To link putting miles in the car while I’m doing something else, rather than going somewhere special to put miles in the car and only doing that one thing While I’m doing it. E.g while I’m going to the loo/having lunch, in the office or sleeping put miles in the car. The max range really should be the max distance between places you can charge, rather than the max from arrival to destination. The huge advantage Tesla has is the certainty that the superchargers will work

The thing to realise is speed kills range. Energy use is roughly proportional to speed squared. So driving at 80 uses 30% more energy than 70. If you want to get anywhere near the stated range you really can't cruise at over 70. I have seen people complain they are struggling to get 200 miles range and they are 'only' cruising at 80. Sadly you canna change the laws of physics

I selected the M3 LR as I wanted a true 200 mile range EV. It does this without any consideration or worry on long runs, all year. In the summer it does 250.
But, if driven for loads of short journeys in the winter you will need to recharge after 150-180 miles.
I had a 22kwh Zoe before and that was a true 70 mile range car (yes, it could do 100 if driven carefully, in warm weather and without headwind) but 70 miles was always achievable. The Tesla can do at least 3 times that based on its battery capacity and better efficiency on the motorway.

Reactions: GH2000
Things to keep in mind:

You don’t want to arrive with no battery at a destination that doesn’t have a charger. You may need to drive around when you’re there.

The “range” of an ev is not the distance you can ever realistically drive… even when conditions are favourable enough to achieve it you never drive from 100% to 0%. (Only YouTubers ever do this. )

Charging a Tesla is usually quick and easy so there’s little to be gained by squeezing the range in the hope of avoiding a stop. That’s just a recipe for unnecessary stress and anxiety… it turns out that it’s actually quite relaxing to have a stop on your journey!

Did my first long trip yesterday, Leamington Spa to Dawlish and back in a day with a little driving around while down there which was about 360 miles in all, pretty much all fast A-Road and the M5.

Departed on 100% charge, didn’t precondition as it was very mild here yesterday and got to my first stop 166 miles away on 40% remaining, so 270 miles total seems about right, majority of journey was with autopilot at 70mph, mostly dry but a few down pours and wet roads at times too.

Used the supercharger at Topsham which was packed, so did a short top up while I walked the dog and carried on. On the way home the car suggested stopping on the M5 to complete the journey, had the supercharger completely to myself (lonely Tesla pic below), was there about 10 mins and again walked the dog. Carried on and had the A46 completely to myself late at night and was very heavy with the right foot (purely for testing and comparison purposes to my old BMW 440i) and got home with 35% battery. Total charging costs was around £24 for the whole trip, compare that to my old car, which would of used about £80 of petrol at todays prices. I can’t really fault the car to be honest!

020B6855-32C8-4D0B-8CC3-3FFCE56AD90F.jpeg

Would I of stopped in my old BMW? No.. . Would I then need to have taken the dog for a walk when I got home to Leamington? Yes.. .
So the stop didn’t really make any difference in the grand scheme of things and if anything it was good to stretch my legs and get a break from driving late at night.

I agree with what others are saying, it does take a little change of mindset. I’ve managed to adjust to it pretty quickly and easily.

As a side note I think the car does a great job at working it all out with the stops required, etc. Spent a couple of mins planning the journey before I left adding the stops to the satnav and then when I arrived in Devon spent a couple of mins planning the route back so I knew what to expect and it was all good 🙂

Buy the EV you won’t regret it

You should spend some time looking at "A Better Route Planner", either app or website for your proposed routes. It is well recommended by Tesla owners and I can vouch that it is very accurate (even more so than the Tesla in-car navigation which tends to plan to err for safety).

Before I decided to purchase my M3 LR a few months ago I tried every likely journey that I regularly drive as well as all the long mileage claims I had for work, about 10k per year (I have a spreadsheet for claiming mileage with all journeys) I tried everything for the three years pre-covid as we all know that affected "normality" ;)

I found that almost everywhere that I usually stopped for a toilet break/meal/leg stretch already had a supercharger as the ABRP plotted journey shows you where and for how long you need to charge. That certainly influenced and reduced my concerns and the high availability of working superchargers (in stark contrast to the public networks) sealed it for me.