Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 LR Real World Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an M3 LR on the 19” wheels.

I’ve charged to 100% 3 times, and from each of these charges I drove around 230-240 miles before plugging in with 50 miles remaining.

So I’m getting about 280 or so to a full charge on a mix of A roads and motorways.
Ditto and almost identical - around 280-290 unless a lot of the journey is contraflow or driving at 40-60mph in which case more

Dual motor Long Range, 18" wheels without Aero Trims, 7 months, 5315 miles

As of 18:30 on 3 Jan it has 44% battery which it claims is enough for 148 miles. Extrapolating that is seems that at 90%, my charge limit, i'd have a range of 302 miles. But re-charging at 10% that really means 270 or so miles.

Looking at range another way, the car has averaged 267 w/hr per mile over 5315 miles. That is 0.26kwh/mile and with a battery capacity of, it is claimed, 75kw, that is 288 miles.

My view is that realistic safe range is 275 miles, which seems to fit with the experience of many. It is more at lower speeds on a warm day and less at high speed on cold days. Just like ICE cars...

Reactions: SpareHeadOne
a month back I had it lose 50% for 100 miles. In good warm summer conditions you might get 300, in worst conditions 200.

Another way to think about it is time. I did an 8 hour trip each way, starting at 90-100% I'd drive around 3 hours before first stop being needed, then 2 hours for any subsequent stops. I was losing around 25% an hour at motorway speeds, in winter this might be 30%. You'd rarely plan to stop below 20%, and when on the road there's substantial diminishing returns for charging beyond 60-70% (it gets slower as it gets nearer to full charge)

Would I of stopped in my old BMW? No.. . Would I then need to have taken the dog for a walk when I got home to Leamington?
Of total irrelevance to the thread & I apologise if this is taken the wrong way but there is increasing use of 'of' instead of the correct word 'have' these days & in this instance both are used. I suppose 'of' has come about when people hear 'should've' which is an abbreviation of 'should have' but verbally sounds like 'should of'.

Such is the evolution of our fair tongue... Erstwhile habban eald wordes be writan æftre....forlætan 'habban' būtan nu ‘of’.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smidgeon
Of total irrelevance to the thread & I apologise if this is taken the wrong way but there is increasing use of 'of' instead of the correct word 'have' these days & in this instance both are used. I suppose 'of' has come about when people hear 'should've' which is an abbreviation of 'should have' but verbally sounds like 'should of'.

Such is the evolution of our fair tongue... Erstwhile habban eald wordes be writan æftre....forlætan 'habban' būtan nu ‘of’.
Your right. I bet you're head literally exploded when you read it, but you just have to chill and except these things. Anyways hope this helped. I'm just off to enter my PIN number into something.
:)

English was my weakest subject at school so I’m not surprised I made a mistake haha, but will certainly bear it in mind. Every day is a school day 😅

Maths and science were my strong points, so I became an engineer and design the things we’ll all be driving around in the next 5-10 years :)

Almost the perfect sentence - if only you had begun it with 'So', and mentioned the problems you had with your break peddle.

I'm thinking that many people would not spot the ironic "misspelling" pun on the signs you sometimes see when driving through a village "Give Us a Brake" ... it was only when spending time looking at this forum that I discovered how many people are genuinely not aware of the difference. Anyway, back to M3 Real World Range!

Reactions: Smidgeon
a month back I had it lose 50% for 100 miles. In good warm summer conditions you might get 300, in worst conditions 200.

Another way to think about it is time. I did an 8 hour trip each way, starting at 90-100% I'd drive around 3 hours before first stop being needed, then 2 hours for any subsequent stops. I was losing around 25% an hour at motorway speeds, in winter this might be 30%. You'd rarely plan to stop below 20%, and when on the road there's substantial diminishing returns for charging beyond 60-70% (it gets slower as it gets nearer to full charge)
I would echo this except to say, if possible, stopping at about 10% charge is pretty much optimal. You'll get the fastest possible charging speeds then and the top up to the next stop won't take long at all.

Some of us, like myself, are really geeky about this and use ABRP and concern ourselves with pre heating the cabins and choosing optimal routes. However the simple reality is, in any dual motor Tesla, any journey in a country as small as England is similar to an ICE journey. The only difference being when you need a wee/coffee/ginsters (Delete as applicable) You just get a passenger to check that the next service station has a working charger. Then you just pull in and do your normal journey stuff whilst the car recharges.

Reactions: Overworked
I reckon I average about 250 miles range in my 2019 Model 3 LR. Mix of long and short journeys, the latter are not usually as efficient which reduces the average.

When chief mammy Sturgeon lets us back into football matches north of the border I’ll be back to making regular trips up to Glasgow. That’s a 375 mile trip each way for me. I always stop twice for a rest / coffee / toilet visit and charge the car at the same time. I used to stop twice with my previous ICE car so switching to the Tesla has made very little difference to my journey time. Perhaps 20 minutes longer each way as I tend to stop for 30 minutes each time rather than 20. Sometimes I’ll even stop for a 3rd time closer to Glasgow so that I can get a decent charge in to start my return journey. All round it’s been absolutely no issue and any “range anxiety” I had prior to buying the car quickly disappeared.

... You just get a passenger to check that the next service station has a working charger. Then you just pull in and do your normal journey stuff whilst the car recharges.
Actually I find that it is easier set the car to navigate to the next service station SuC. Then it preconditions so that it charges most efficiently on arrival and will let you know whilst en-route that there is a working charger there and availability of working stalls. If there were ever to be a non-working SuC station (not had one yet!) it seems that the car would tell you and re-route you.

Actually I find that it is easier set the car to navigate to the next service station SuC. Then it preconditions so that it charges most efficiently on arrival and will let you know whilst en-route that there is a working charger there and availability of working stalls. If there were ever to be a non-working SuC station (not had one yet!) it seems that the car would tell you and re-route you.
True, I'm talking if you go off the SuC network. Now my free miles have long gone I don't bother planning for that, just stop wherever there is a charger.

That being said, if it's a choice between a supercharger destination and a none supercharger close by I'll usually pick the supercharger due to reliability concerns

• Informative
Reactions: Overworked
That being said, if it's a choice between a supercharger destination and a none supercharger close by I'll usually pick the supercharger due to reliability concerns

I think that's the nub of the matter. We don't have range anxiety, we have charger reliability anxiety.

You get exactly the same problem with an ICE vehicle during a fuel crisis, but most of the time you don't notice it because petrol stations are ubiquitous and when a pump fails it tends to be one of at least six or eight.

If (say) every single supermarket had something in their car park then you probably wouldn't think twice because the next one won't be too far away a lot of the time.