Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 LR rwd - Time for new tires - NEED Help/Suggestions PLEASE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I took delivery on March 24th 2018 (Tempe, AZ) and I put on approx 2,300 miles/mo
90% of that is carpool lane freeway driving on the 202/101

I always take my cars to Discount TIre & buy the certs & have all the rotations done there

It came with Michelin Primacy MXM4 235/45/18 - I believe 45,000 mile tires ???
(do all these Michelin's come with the acoustic foam in them?)

looking to see what everyone else is doing when its time to replace tires that are only getting about half the mileage warranty

Am I really looking at buying a new set of tires every 25,000 mi / year ?

stay with the 18" OEM Michelin?
or
18" brand_____ ?
or
switch to 19" wheels/tires... brand_____ size_____ ?
or
run flats?
or
get new 19" Turbines & tires from EVwheeldirect.com or Tsportline.com

Any/all suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks!

I took delivery on March 24th 2018 (Tempe, AZ) and I put on approx 2,300 miles/mo

I always take my cars to Discount TIre & buy the certs & have all the rotations done there

looking to see what everyone else is doing when its time to replace tires that are only getting about half the mileage warranty

or
18" brand_____ ?
or
or
run flats?
or

Thanks!
FYI, your tires have a pro-rated warranty. There’s a thread about this somewhere in the forums.

Your winter lows average in the mid 40s- unless you often take the car to much colder places there's no good reason to replace with all seasons- which tend to suck, in all seasons.

If you want to knock at least 20 feet off your stopping distance (and get significantly better handling, wet traction, etc) put a set of stock-sized Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on there and call it a day.

or
18" brand_____ ?
or
or
run flats?
or

Thanks!

How often are you rotating your tires? On a RWD vehicle (especially an EV that uses regen braking) you absolutely need frequent rotations to get maximum tire life. I rotate mine every 5000 miles, with the first rotation done early at 2500 miles.

To make a good recommendation for your tires, I'd need to know the following:

- What temperatures/climate/weather do you need to drive in? Mostly mild, dry temperatures? Severe heat? Deep cold? Heavy rain? Mild/light snow? Heavy snow/ice?
- What's your driving style? Mild with lots of highway miles? Average? Spirited? Race track?
- What are the important characteristics you need in a set of tires? What's a priority and what will you give up?
+ Longevity/maximum miles of life
+ Comfortable/soft ride
+ Quiet ride
+ Dry road handling/cornering
+ Wet road grip/handling
+ Snow/ice/low-temperature grip
+ Energy efficiency
+ Single set of tires for year-round, or willing to switch sets for summer/winter?
+ Looks/low-profile
+ Run-flat

I can probably pick a few choices that fit your desired characteristics.

• Informative
Reactions: Terthen
How often are you rotating your tires? On a RWD vehicle (especially an EV that uses regen braking) you absolutely need frequent rotations to get maximum tire life. I rotate mine every 5000 miles, with the first rotation done early at 2500 miles.

To make a good recommendation for your tires, I'd need to know the following:

- What temperatures/climate/weather do you need to drive in? Mostly mild, dry temperatures? Severe heat? Deep cold? Heavy rain? Mild/light snow? Heavy snow/ice?
- What's your driving style? Mild with lots of highway miles? Average? Spirited? Race track?
- What are the important characteristics you need in a set of tires? What's a priority and what will you give up?
+ Comfortable/soft ride
+ Quiet ride
+ Wet road grip/handling
+ Energy efficiency
+ Single set of tires for year-round, or willing to switch sets for summer/winter?
+ Looks/low-profile
+ Run-flat

I can probably pick a few choices that fit your desired characteristics.
Well hey since you offered!
I'm in ATL, so similar temps/rain as you in HOU.
Lots of highway miles; I go 10 above the speed limit, sometimes 20-30 over if I'm following a luxury car with radar.
In order of importance to me:
+Single set
+Quiet ride
+Soft ride
+Wet road
+Longevity
+Efficiency
Cornering
-Looks
-Runflat

Same for San Diego: 60-80s
Highway Mostly - MPH 75-80
+ Comfortable/soft ride
+ Energy efficiency

Does have to handle decent water when it does rain.

Well hey since you offered!
I'm in ATL, so similar temps/rain as you in HOU.
Lots of highway miles; I go 10 above the speed limit, sometimes 20-30 over if I'm following a luxury car with radar.
In order of importance to me:
+Single set
+Quiet ride
+Soft ride
+Wet road
+Longevity
+Efficiency
Cornering
-Looks
-Runflat

Based on that, I'd recommend a tire in the Grand Touring All-Season category or possibly the Ultra-High Performance All-Season (UHP) category. The tires I'd recommend that fit your priorities:

(GTAS) BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport
(GTAS) General Altimax RT43
(GTAS) Michelin Primacy MXM4 (OEM Tire)
(UHPAS) Yokohama Advan Sport A/S

One additional tire that merits consideration:

(GTAS-3PMS) Vredestein Quatrac 5

The BF Goodrich and the General Altimax are both highly rated and are the comfort/noise leaders. The BF Goodrich has a slight advantage in wet traction. The General has a slight advantage in longevity (UTQG 70K miles vice 60K miles).

The Michelin is the efficiency leader, and is just as good as the other two in comfort/noise, but will have lower longevity and a little lower grip.

The Yokohama has performance/grip/cornering advantages but will have lower longevity. Also, it's comfort/noise may be nearly equal to the others at the beginning of life, but is likely to get noisier later in life because of it's performance advantages.

The Vredestein is highly rated, and has some winter characteristics, it can handle light snow and cold/wet conditions. (Called 3PMS, stands for 3-peak mountain/snow rated). It may have lower life than the others. I have a set of these on my P3D+ and they feel great, but they're brand new so I can't comment on summer performance or mid-life/end-life performance.

Based on that, I'd recommend a tire in the Grand Touring All-Season category or possibly the Ultra-High Performance All-Season (UHP) category. The tires I'd recommend that fit your priorities:

The BF Goodrich and the General Altimax are both highly rated and are the comfort/noise leaders. The BF Goodrich has a slight advantage in wet traction. The General has a slight advantage in longevity (UTQG 70K miles vice 60K miles).

The Michelin is the efficiency leader, and is just as good as the other two in comfort/noise, but will have lower longevity and a little lower grip.

The Yokohama has performance/grip/cornering advantages but will have lower longevity. Also, it's comfort/noise may be nearly equal to the others at the beginning of life, but is likely to get noisier later in life because of it's performance advantages.

The Vredestein is highly rated, and has some winter characteristics, it can handle light snow and cold/wet conditions. (Called 3PMS, stands for 3-peak mountain/snow rated). It may have lower life than the others. I have a set of these on my P3D+ and they feel great, but they're brand new so I can't comment on summer performance or mid-life/end-life performance.
Thank you! How does Michelin win on efficiency yet not on longevity? I have always thought that I trade noise/ride/grip for efficiency/longevity.

Based on your feedback, I think I will stick with the MXM4's. That's what I run on my Nissan LEAF, and although you are correct that they do not run to their full life (I suspect due to the weight of EVs), with the proration I can usually get a decent net price on the replacements over time.

I'm on the same boat, now at about 22,000 miles and might have to get a new one soon.
M3 LR RWD, with Original Michelin MXM4 (OEM)

What do you think of this:
(UHPAS) Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS
vs
The others you listed below?

- What temperatures/climate/weather do you need to drive in? Mostly mild, dry temperatures of NorCal
- What's your driving style? Mild with lots of highway miles
- What are the important characteristics you need in a set of tires? Order of priority:
+ Energy efficiency
+ Comfortable/soft ride
+ Quiet ride
+ Wet road grip/handling
+ Single set of tires for year-round

I'm on the same boat, now at about 22,000 miles and might have to get a new one soon.
M3 LR RWD, with Original Michelin MXM4 (OEM)

What do you think of this:
(UHPAS) Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS
vs
The others you listed below?

The Ultra-High Performance All-Season emphasizs a bit more handling, grip and cornering, with a little less emphasis on quiet ride, comfort, and efficiency. Not by much, but some. In this regard, the Bridgestone is very similar to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

If your top categories are energy efficiency, longevity, and quiet comfortable ride, that better fits the Grand Touring All-Season category, which the other 3 tires in that list above match better.

Top energy efficiency will be the Michelin Primacy.

• Helpful
Reactions: chibi_kurochan