Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Luggage Capacity and Kjust M3 Custom Luggage Set Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
Like many people here given the choice I would have bought a Model Y. I am used to driving hatchbacks with bigger boots than the M3 and I was worried that the M3 might not be adequate for our needs.

Not too worried about moving large items and stuff like that I have friends I can lean on for that sort of thing. No. My issue is holidays. I have a wife and 2 teenage daughters and none of them are familiar with the concept of traveling light. Mostly I am talking about trips to airports with suitcases. Our normal set of suitcases holds about 310 liters and fits comfortably in a Skoda Octavia with room to spare for hand luggage etc.
20200119_121301.jpg

Sadly the same cannot be said for the M3. The under floor and frunk don’t really help since neither can hold a decent sized case and besides I need them for the hand luggage charge cables etc.
20200119_120841.jpg
20200119_120901.jpg

I know there are lots of things I could do like: Hire a car, get a train/coach/taxi, get someone to drop us off etc. but having spent a fortune on that car I want to bloody well use it!
I could of course tell everyone they need to travel lighter. My luggage usually totals about 20 litres so not much I can personally do and I get enough grief for having spent so much on a car already that I could do without the associated loss of further brownie points by admitting its not practical by enforcing a 10 pairs of shoes per person limit. I could also use the 40 of the 60/40 split or put a case in the middle.
They are options but the thing is the luggage capacity of the M3 is regularly reported to be 425 litres including the Frunk but I am calling BS on this. Having done some measurements myself I contend that the main boot compartment is in fact at least 425 litres by itself not counting under the floor or the frunk. Get a tape measure and have a look if you don’t believe me. So the point is if the main boot is over 400 liters and I want to get in 300ish litres of luggage then It should fit. I clearly just have the wrong bags. So I went searching for a better set of bags and came across Kjust custom M3 bags. To be fair I don’t think they actually manufacture anything for a specific car. What they do is make a range of bags in car like sizes and shapes then package them up into sets that suit specific cars. Including the M3. So I bought a set.
Tesla Model 3 Car-bags set 2017+ 5 pcs
Not a bargain at £277 but cheaper than getting another car or a roof rack.
20200119_144908.jpg

20200119_144922.jpg
20200117_125522.jpg
20200117_125414.jpg

It is 5 bags including 1 for under the boot floor. The ones for the main boot consist of:

2x Kjust Trolley Travel Bag AW11KM (114L)

1x Kjust Sport Bag SP85FK (72L)

1x Kjust Sport Bag SP34UK (65L)

There is also the under floor bag: 1x Kjust Sport Bag SP38TW (72L)

I am a little sceptical of the sizes I would put the main set at more like 95/66/59 liters based on the dimensions but bags can bulge so maybe they can fit a bit more than a tape measure indicates since the more they bulge the rounder they become and a sphere is the most internal space efficient shape. Anyway even at my reduced sizes they still meet my 300 liter requirements:

Only the 2 largest are roller cases so I also bought a trolly which weighs only just over 1kg and fits neatly in the bottom compartment of any of the sports bags.
20200119_145411.jpg
20200119_145456.jpg

Not used them in anger yet but they seem very well made from good materials so i'll have to see how I get on. But if anyone is looking to maximise carrying capacity in their M3 they could probably do worse based on what I have seen so far.

Just watch out for occupant and cargo weight limit - our AWD with tow is 375kg (its on a sticker inside the passenger door), so 3 rugby players as passengers is out of the question ;) I never understood why so low - iirc tyre rating should accommodate another 100kg on a car of this weight.

Last edited:
Just watch out for occupant and cargo weight limit - our AWD with tow is 375kg (its on a sticker inside the passenger door), so 3 rugby players as passengers is out of the question ;) I never understood why so low - iirc tyre rating should accommodate another 100kg on a car of this weight.
Fortunately we are all fly-halfs in my family and thanks to airline weight restrictions so is the luggage. but I agree 375Kg is naff all. Ironic. if there is one thing you would hope to rely on from a American brand it's load carrying capacity.

• Funny
Reactions: Chalks99