Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 MIC 2021 tail lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
with absolutely no visibility in those wee door mirrors.

I turned off auto mirror dim (a recent 'innovation' for Tesla) and adjusted the reverse position of the mirrors to help improve matters. It has certainly improved reversing off our drive (a downward curve with a lowish wall on outer circumference) but jury is out how much difference that will make in really challenging conditions. Thankfully, when it works, low light performance of rear camera is pretty good so does help, but certainly not a substitute for proper visual checks and I have on several occasions just had to rely on 6th sense and reverse into the abyss...

I picked up my M3P 2022 registration yesterday, and it has the old style lights. I was a little disappointed for about half a second. But then I thought I'm not going to let such a small thing get in the way and ruin the enjoyment of what is an epic car!

In any case, I noticed from the cold weather overnight that some condensation had formed inside the rear lenses, so I dare say at some point I will be making an appointment at my local SC for replacements. Then I will specifiy the new style. :)
I think you’re onto a loser straight away regarding the rear lights if you get a M3P. As they sell less numbers, there are far more earlier builds being sold new which have the old lights. I picked up my new M3P in October, and it has the old lights. A friend of mine picked up his M3LR the week before, and his has the new lights. Just one of those things I suppose. Annoying yes, completely! Doesn’t spoil the enjoyment of the car though.

'reported'...

Have we actually seen it in real life?
Screenshot_20220316-195755_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Terry F
The LRs seem to be hanging on to the older lights for longer. RWDs seem to have switched over. I find that a bit odd - you’d think if there were parts bins etc they’d switch over the LR/P earlier? But who knows with Tesla
It seems to be random (within batches). Plenty of LRs had the new design that were delivered in Sept 2021.

The LRs seem to be hanging on to the older lights for longer. RWDs seem to have switched over. I find that a bit odd - you’d think if there were parts bins etc they’d switch over the LR/P earlier? But who knows with Tesla
I have a 2021 M3LR delivered in Nov 21 with the new taillights, but saw a 2022 registered M3LR with the old lights last week. Bit odd to chop and change between old and new design.

Moderation comment - numerous posts moved from delivery experiences thread

Just be aware, those picking up from Bluewater.

I’ve received the old style rear lights with the pidderly rear indicator, 1 reverse light and 1 fog light on the latest 2021 model.

I’ll be kicking off with Tesla however just wanted to pre-warn you.

I do have a service appointment booked and plan to call them tomorrow. Not happy at all, given the new lights are an improvement and there shouldn’t be any reason why I should receive something sub standard to everyone else.

Does beg the question what else I have on my car that’s from the early 2021 models. Just hope I have matrix headlights now.
Had a similar experience, was wondering as to whether you had any luck with Tesla about changing the lights?

It's a classic case of, they paid the same as me and yet got something perceived better.

I would say, because it's luck of the draw if the tail lights mist up badly or not regardless of design.. I'd happily settle for ones that don't fill with water, regardless of the design.

To get swapped out only for the new ones to then have the water issue would be an own goal.

If anyone has a good set that don't fill with condensation or water, I would honestly recommend sticking as they are best.

Reactions: Durzel
for me it's one thing I truly hated about Model 3. I thought the indicator lights were rubbish. Hated them A LOT. I only decided to place the order once I started seeing new model 3 with the new lights.

My M3LR arrives in June/July. Knowing my luck it will have the old style lights. arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrGG!!!

I hired a 2021 RWD and the reverse light was so pathetically dim. For a 50K car.. seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!