Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 MIC 2021 tail lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hired a 2021 RWD and the reverse light was so pathetically dim. For a 50K car.. seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't know there was a correlation between car price and brightness of reversing lights. Back in time there used to be a connection in so much as cheaper cars didn't have a reversing light at all ... in fact I don't think any cars had reversing lights when I was first driving! Of course decent lighting should be a feature of every car whatever the price.

I don’t get it. This is not like a BMW facelift when the lights actually look different even when not in use. The lights on the Model 3 are virtually indistinguishable when not in use no matter which version one has - apart from when it’s fogged up.

The brake lights are whole C like lights now, rather than lines, so there is a visual difference in how they work, but physically they look identical and as remarked you don't even see the benefit of them yourself unlike, say, headlights.

The brake lights are whole C like lights now, rather than lines, so there is a visual difference in how they work, but physically they look identical and as remarked you don't even see the benefit of them yourself unlike, say, headlights.
The larger brake lights are more likely to be noticed in daylight and stop someone else running into the rear of your car, so a potential benefit to you.

I didn't know there was a correlation between car price and brightness of reversing lights. Back in time there used to be a connection in so much as cheaper cars didn't have a reversing light at all ... in fact I don't think any cars had reversing lights when I was first driving! Of course decent lighting should be a feature of every car whatever the price.
That’s because they were covered up by the horses tail…

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
Maybe a bit off topic!
I seem to recall that back in the 1970s there was quite an aftermarket trade in fitting rear fog lamps and reversing lamps as these only came as standard on higher spec cars and were not a legal requirement. As a trainee electrician I used to make a few bob fitting these and upgraded audio systems (cassettes and 8 tracks were popular then) for friends and family. Of course, on some cars there was a mechanical switch already fitted to the side of the gearbox so the gearstick could automatically turn on the reversing lamp when reverse was selected, otherwise it was a simple switch fitted to the dash somewhere handy for the driver to flick as required. Hardly bears any comparison to a modern Tesla. 😀

Reactions: Adopado
Because without decent rear illumination, its very difficult to see those rear quarter panels, especially, if, like me, you need to reverse tight to a fence post or similar in complete darkness. Actually, in some of my other recent cars, I've even found switching on the rear fog lights helps forward creeping in similarly tight situations in the dark.

Reactions: roadcred
So I have a September 2021 MIC LR, saw some videos on youtube regarding the tail lights where it clearly demonstrates a "longer" turn signal at the back including a reverse light on both sides. You can see it here

I've had a look at my car and it does not have these. Short turn signal and only one side reverse light. Can others with recent LR's confirm they have the same or have I just gotten an older version of them? I think the short ones are too short....

Old
View attachment 737397

New

View attachment 737398

Anyone with the newer tail lights can share what the part numbers are for the pcs of tail lights? Thank you!