Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 MR vs Chevy Bolt (energy consumption)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is set to 72 degrees, on lowest fan speed "1" (not auto).
So you're rolling through HVAC heat, then. On a short trip, along with bringing the drive train up to speed, having poor results like that on short trips is expected.

Note that the Bolt's usage also goes up in those temps. Even without any HVAC. It's the nature of the lithium batteries.

Bolt has remote connectivity, and claims to have the ability to do OTA.
BWHAHAHAHA *shakes head*

Over the last year and a bit I've had one software patch for the Bolt. I think there's another pending, I got a physical letter about it a while back, but I haven't gotten around to booking an appointment to drive in for it, also.

So you're rolling through HVAC heat, then. On a short trip, along with bringing the drive train up to speed, having poor results like that on short trips is expected.

Note that the Bolt's usage also goes up in those temps. Even without any HVAC. It's the nature of the lithium batteries.

I drove in Bolt with exactly the same settings 72 degrees and 1 fan speed. Exactly the same daily route. Most of my driving is in 70s - low 80s degree weather when AC is barely needed, just to remove humidity.

It is set to 72 degrees, on lowest fan speed "1" (not auto).
BTW if you're concerned about energy use turn it down to LOW, Auto off (make sure to kill the A/C), set the vents to windshield only, and leave it at 1 or so. That's normally what I run it at, and my dual motor doesn't use anything like that amount of energy in those temps for that kind of trip.

Reactions: M109Rider
Yes...per the manual below:

View attachment 370563

Although the Bolt does provide health status when I use the app while idle and unplugged... But unsure whether the checks were done in real time or maybe cached from last power on.
I feel like doing system tests that use significant power while the car is parked instead of while running is cheating the EPA test. Especially if it results in more power usage overall. Just my opinion.

Most of my driving is in 70s - low 80s degree weather when AC is barely needed, just to remove humidity.
You don't need the A/C if it's just you. I say this as living off the Gulf coast. If it's getting a bit cloudy turn up the fan. You just need to keep your own breath off the windshield, having it on intake (not recycle) will natural move respiration moisture out of the cabin.

Last edited:
I feel like doing system tests that use significant power while the car is parked instead of while running is cheating the EPA test. Especially if it results in more power usage overall. Just my opinion.
10W, AKA 0.01kW, isn't exactly "significant" in this context.

Unless you want to get into talking about addressing environmental temps, battery degradation, and going down that rabbit hole. It's opening up a huge can of worms.

Do you get the same usage if you put the Tesla in chill mode?
The Bolt is very efficient under 50MPH. Also if you put it in L the Bolt is pretty feasible to keep you off friction brakes better than the Model 3 RWD. I can't really test head to head myself, because my D can't touch the Model 3 RWD, but until you get to highway speeds I doubt you could get the Model 3 to exactly match Bolt road usage.

Of course 55MPH and up the Model 3 buries the Bolt. Even my D does.

You don't need the A/C if it's just you. I say this as living off the Gulf coast. If it's getting a bit cloudy turn up the fan. You just need to keep your own breath off the windshield, having it on intake (not recycle) will natural move respiration moisture out of the cabin.

Ok, now I need to control my breathing? This starts sounding like a PADI certification course.

I just want to get in the car and drive. All I am saying that there is a significant different in energy consumption between the two cars, despite equal MPGe.

There's work that could be done on this, but a locked vehicle being able to be ready for seamless "walk up, open, sit, and drive" is a hellva tough trick to pull off without keeping a fair amount of stuff "live". Clear priority is "working system". Energy use reduction of the order we're talking about is a very logical lower priority action item.

I agree with this. I am happy with the response time of getting into my completely asleep car. I certainly feel like minimizing vampire drain (wasted energy) should be part of Tesla's mission even more than any other car company since they are the only car company doing this for responsible/environmental reasons and every other company is doing it because of lost $$$. So it is a bit perplexing that Tesla seems ok with the rather high waste. Solving the vampire drain is just engineering and Tesla is pretty good at that, so I hear . Many of Tesla's owners charge their cars from the wall via carbon burning utility companies. I'd be interested in the current environmental impact of vampire losses of a vehicle, over the course of one year, in, say Wyoming, Kentucky, or West Virginia?

Reactions: Kant.Ing