Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Mudflaps (again) - check yours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got the factory fitted (well SC fitted) mudflaps on the front of my Model 3.

I was giving the car a quick wash over earlier, and I think I'm going to take the flaps off tomorrow and give this area a wash over as it looks like there is A LOT of crud stuck down behind them.

I think they might be better off than on frankly.

I wasn't happy with the rigidity of the mudflaps when only fastened with the clips and screws. I felt there was a fair chance that they might vibrate and rub on the edge of the wheel arch. As the supplied screws were going rusty, I removed them, cleaned everything up, and re-fastened the mudflaps using a bit of 3M double sided foam tape, plus some large head stainless steel self-tapping screws. They feel a lot more solidly fixed in place now, and I don't think there's much chance of them damaging the paintwork.

Reactions: Yachtsman
A word of warning about removing them. I have a paint defect on my 2 month old Model 3. Paint is coming off in flakes on the rocker sills. The first question I was asked is could I take a picture of the front wheels. When I asked why, it was to check the mud guards were still in place. They told me the mud guards have been fitted as standard to stop what has happened to my car. Stones flicking up and taking off paint. They indicated that if they were no longer there I wouldn't get the issue covered by the warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: OneTinyFish
A word of warning about removing them. I have a paint defect on my 2 month old Model 3. Paint is coming off in flakes on the rocker sills. The first question I was asked is could I take a picture of the front wheels. When I asked why, it was to check the mud guards were still in place. They told me the mud guards have been fitted as standard to stop what has happened to my car. Stones flicking up and taking off paint. They indicated that if they were no longer there I wouldn't get the issue covered by the warranty.

Mine didn’t come fitted with any so I find it hard to believe that that arguement could be universally applied. Also, Tesla have run out of fitting kits apparently and are giving priority to Nordic regions. ( If Bristol Service Centre are to be believed)

So in theory, mine which I collected 7 months ago (prior to offering the mudflaps) is covered under warranty for the peppering along the bottom?

34800F0A-DA7C-4348-9535-9F214FC357A6.jpeg
0EDEE550-A21B-40A9-8A89-C371AD91CFC6.jpeg
Here are pics of what lies beneath and the puddle, that is not draining that was held against the paintwork here.
6DB6E635-ACDD-4918-A651-43AC7C586BEF.jpeg

Worst design ever!

It might be worth drilling a couple of drain holes in the flaps to at least let the water out. If the temps drop and that lot freezes then it could do some damage?

Alternatively, maybe fill the cavity with something like Waxoyl cavity wax? That'd stop it filling up with water and crap!

Last edited:
Reactions: HKP_Tom
Drain holes seem like a good idea. The upper edge could probably be sealed with some non-setting butyl mastic, the stuff that comes in strips between two sheets of waxed paper. This type of mastic seals well, but can also be removed if need be, with no damage to the underlying surface. I use it for sealing cable holes, rather than use some sort of sealant that sets, both because it's easier to use and because it's non-permanent and can be removed cleanly.

Reactions: HKP_Tom
Worst design ever!

It might be worth drilling a couple of drain holes in the flaps to at least let the water out. If the temps drop and that lot freezes then it could do some damage?

Alternatively, maybe fill the cavity with something like Waxoyl cavity wax? That'd stop it filling up with water and crap!
Or just get aftermarket ones?

Mine came with the OEM flaps, but I changed them over as I had already brought a pair (as one does while waiting for delivery) and it had better coverage.

(excuse the music on the video)

I wouldn't fit these if Tesla gave them to me free. They are a defective design. Maybe if you stick them on or pad them out with foam they will be better? Or you could just get the arches & sills PPF'd.