Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 no longer will connect to my wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honest question: does Model 3 support 802.11 n/ac standards? The reason I am asking is that on my Model S I had to explicitly disable the SSID I created for Tesla on 5 GHz channel (Default for many routers/APs is to enable it on both 2.4 and 5GHz).

Limiting it to 2.4 GHz in legacy/compatibility mode (802.11 b/g) solved the issued where it was either refusing to connect altogether or constantly flipping between LTE and WiFi (never staying connected for more than 15 seconds).

Didn't notice this was an S reference - My S connects fine to an SSID that is advertised over both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. It says it's connecting at 802.11g (yes, that's old, but not as bad as my carrier thermostats that only connect at 802.11b**). I always read the "turn off 5ghz" for lots of 2.4ghz devices, but it makes no sense to me. The 2.4ghz device cannot see the 5ghz SSID.

The 3 is connecting at 802.11ac (ac = 5ghz). I haven't tried to force it down to 2.4ghz to see what standard it uses.

** I setup a different AP for the carrier stats on an isolated network. I had to enable backwards compatibility mode one the AP for them to connect. My UniFi system has an 802.11b compat mode. 802.11g is default.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
2.4 gHz travels further than 5 gHz, provided you don't live in a crowded apartment building with a lot of RF. So unless you have a router/extender in your garage, you'll want to focus on 2.4. Also N & ac also will have greater distance than g or b.

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
Thanks to @arcus I believed I also resolved my Tesla Y WIFI issue. I would receive error "Unable to obtain IP Address. Please check DHCP server settings." Sometimes I could get it to connect is after Tesla reboot.

I have ATT Fiber using BGW3200-500 modem/WIFI router with 2.4G/5G combo.
SOLUTION: I had ATT split the 2.4G and 5G into separate SSID. Then I set the 2.4G to B/G standards.

Honest question: does Model 3 support 802.11 n/ac standards? The reason I am asking is that on my Model S I had to explicitly disable the SSID I created for Tesla on 5 GHz channel (Default for many routers/APs is to enable it on both 2.4 and 5GHz).

Limiting it to 2.4 GHz in legacy/compatibility mode (802.11 b/g) solved the issued where it was either refusing to connect altogether or constantly flipping between LTE and WiFi (never staying connected for more than 15 seconds).

Reactions: arcus
Well, mine is connecting to the house WiFi, but not how it *should* be.

Two weeks ago I installed a WiFi extender, giving it a new SSID and set the car up to connect to it. At the time, I specifically told it to forget the other SSID it had been connecting to previously.

Whadya know... the car is connected to the old SSID.

I had it forget the old one, connected to the new one, then pressed the “Power Off” button on the car, hoping to do a deeper system reset than the two steering wheel button method.

Waited three minutes, then stepped on the brake. Screen came up and it’s connected to the correct SSID.

Hopefully, doing a full “Power Off” will get rid of all the bugs and MCU re-boots I’ve had with .32

So yeah, you aren’t the only one experiencing wonkiness with .32.0. I’ve been anxiously awaiting the “Update Available” notification for .32.1.
Yep. "Hard" Power Off worked for me. Thx.