TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

M3 Not Unlocking with 2 Different iPhones

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by scottman71, Apr 19, 2019.

1. scottman71

scottman71 Member

For some reason, my car suddenly stopped recognizing my phone and my wife's iPhone when I approached the car to unlock it. I had to use my keycard to get inside. Once inside, the car recognized the phone and accessed my music etc, but as soon as I stepped out... nada. Thoughts?

2. SJC3

SJC3 Member

When this happens, I unlock my phone and it works immediately.

3. evp

evp Nerd

I occasionally need to actually start the Tesla app before the phone connects to the car on BlueTooth.

4. Jrzapata

Jrzapata Member

I would say, follow this procedure:
    1 delete phones from car, both as key and Bluetooth
    2 delete Tesla app
    3 shut down phone
    4 start phone
    5 download app
    6 log on
    7 add phones as key
    8 add phone as Bluetooth

The only times I have issues with my phone is when it is in my back pocket

5. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

Just remove the phone keys from the car and re-add them. Hopefully that fixes it v

6. Red Fox

Red Fox Member

On one occasion I had to restart the phone - complete power down and then power up. Could be that process just restarted the Tesla App. But on another occasion I had a similar problem that the M3 would not see my phone for music or dialing. That time, restarting the M3 did the trick. Since then I have been stable for several weeks.

7. Leafdriver333

Leafdriver333 Somewhat Active Member

When the phone is not recognized as key you can still unlock with the app and remote start the car.
    I don't carry the key card with me because I can still drive the car even if the phone unpairs.

8. scottman71

scottman71 Member

Just tried soft and hard resetting, then finally deleted phone key. However, when I tried to add a new phone key again, I couldn't -- car could not communicate with the phone. So I've got that going for me now. Thoughts?

9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

Did you have both car and phone in BT search mode?

10. scottman71

scottman71 Member

Yes. Added phone key on the M3 screen and followed directions on the Tesla app on my phone. It searched but couldn’t communicate. Rebooted phone. Logged out/in the app etc. Nothing.

11. Jrzapata

Jrzapata Member

Delete app and install again

12. Jrzapata

Jrzapata Member

Make sure to reboot phone after delete app and before install app again

13. Wennfred

Wennfred Supporting Member

Ensure that the WiFi is off on the phone so that the Bluetooth is the only signal it see... sometimes the WiFi shuts off the Bluetooth signal, it’s a glitch in some phones, give that a try.

14. Hans L

Hans L Member

Get the key fob. Way more reliable. While it may not currently have passive entry, it always works, is super fast, no delays, no reboots of the phone, convenient and confirms unlock/lock.