Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Owner - Looking to add 2016 MX - Advice?

JamesIng

Apr 28, 2019
Santa Clarita, CA
Hi everyone- We’ve had out 2019 Model 3 for over a year now and are loving it. We are a family of 5 w/ 3 kids - 15, 11 and 6. The older 2 had quite big growth spurts in the past 2 months, and even though we managed to drive across the country in the M3 last summer, its getting too tight for even a quick trip to the beach now.

Looking at trading in our Nissan Leaf for a used Model X 2016 from the Tesla site - with 7 seat configurations. I know I’m sacrificing some newer tech, and likely no FSD with the lower price range I’m looking at. Am i missing anything else by getting a 2016 model X?

We looked into the Model Y - but honestly, it comes out to the same price as the used X, and the 7 seater wont be available until 2021, and we’re looking to get something now.

Thanks!

Zaxxon

Supporting Member
Dec 11, 2012
Colorado
You're missing a ton of range with a 2016 vs new. That and the significantly reduced Supercharging capability (if you plan to road trip) would be the biggies to me.

I have a 2019 X and love it.

vamsi539

Jul 29, 2019
Tenneessee
You won’t be compromising newer tech if you get used with FSD.

I purchased a 2016X six seater. White interior for $60k in Jan. I just got HW3 upgraded yesterday Since I had FSD. So I’m up to the latest tech

Yes. The newer ones have better battery tech,suspension etc but for us it was not worth the extra $20–$30k for a 2019/2020.

Hope this helps.

vamsi539

Jul 29, 2019
Tenneessee
Forgot to add. If you are looking for a 7 seater. The 2016 middle row second seat is of the same height as the other 2 so third row feels claustrophobic. This changed sometime in 2017 so consider that.

JamesIng

Apr 28, 2019
Santa Clarita, CA
You're missing a ton of range with a 2016 vs new. That and the significantly reduced Supercharging capability (if you plan to road trip) would be the biggies to me.

I have a 2019 X and love it.

Not terribly concerned with range. Our M3 only has 230mi max and we made it across the country without every cutting it close. But good to keep in mind.

Reactions: Zaxxon

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC