Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Owners: Would you buy another Model 3 today?

Would you buy a Model 3 today?

• Yes

Votes: 197 93.8%
  • No

Votes: 14 6.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BMW, Audi, MB should just give up now.
My Model 3 test drive months ago was nothing short of a revelation, a total game changer. I cross shopped the usual suspects: BMW M340/M3; Audi S4/S5 SB; MB C43 AMG... After driving the Model 3, everything else felt like antiquated, last century crap. To think that I got it for more than 10k less than all others I've considered is just mind blowing.

I can't wait to sell my wife's Acura for the Model Y. I will probably buy my daughter a used 3LR in a few years because they are so safe.

Genuinely curious, besides autopilot and the EV acceleration of the Model 3, what else made you come to this conclusion. I'm thinking about the S4/S5 when asking this.

wh
You've made a lot of threads over the past few days gathering information. I hope that you understand that you're polling the minority of owners who are also going to tend to be more vocal about both their love for tesla and their complaints when they have issues. I don't see how its possible for you to base a purchase decision on data gathered here alone.

Why isn't that what forums are for I'm here for the same reason I've also checked yelp for how tesla service is treating customers and wait time to get into a service station I've watched youtubes also I'm still kicking the ball around between 3 vehicles

This is not chump change for a car that has bad quality control so i'm assuming everyone likes the motors and handling with a battery pack
it's like rolling the dice if you buy one I mean I can go over it and look for defects and maybe find nothing then again find a lot of them the service station might set you back 3-4 -6 weeks to get in if there's a problem at lease where i'm at I checked bad reviews with that

Reactions: Kleenerth3
I voted yes. We already have 2. Bought the first one in March 2018. Loved it so much and picked up the second one a year later almost to the day.

We have had minor issues with the car, but no issues at all with the service centers:
  1. With the first one there were panel gap alignment issues (this was an earlier build) and a very very small spring that came off the glove box. They fixed both of those at the service center. We got a Model S loaner each time we brought it in. There was also an issue with the driver side door handle, I went to the service center and they fixed it. But then the same issue appeared again. Then they sent out a mobile service to my workplace and he was able to fix it.
  2. The second one had a very small squeak in the steering wheel, a very unnoticeable loose trim piece (mobile service guy pointed it out), and there was a small dent in the back seat upholstery. Had to go to the service center for the first two issues. Mobile service drove out to my workplace to fix the last one.
  3. Sometimes (rarely) the screen crashes and we have to re-boot.
I have small annoyances with some things (same things you see other people complain about):
  1. Prices keep changing. We could have gotten a Performance model for cheaper than our LR RWD!! That's nuts. But oh well. I am glad the prices keep dropping. That means the next Model 3 we buy will be even better and cheaper.
  2. Elon says cool software updates are coming on xx/xx date...but it ends up coming out way later than that date. Oh well it's disappointing. But when it *does* come out, it's so freaking exciting!
Even with the minor issues, hopefully I will never drive an ICE again. I am so excited every time I get to drive this car. I don't care how much traffic I get stuck in anymore, AP actually makes traffic enjoyable.

My parents also have a Model 3. No issues with their car either. My brother in law who was soooo against Tesla for some odd unknown reason, now wants one too after driving my parents car.

My dad's friend bought one too. And one for each of his 3 kids.

I can see how the service centers would be struggling to keep up with the demand in LA. I hope they get better. From your previous posts, I know you are really risk adverse. It's hard to predict the future and I hope you are happy with whatever choice you make. I'm sure one day you will switch to a Tesla (or other EV) though and when you do, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Reactions: TJ73
Despite having my car out of action for almost a month due to a tough to diagnose loose connector deep in the heart of the car I could not imagine driving a different car. The performance, autopilot, the controls and screen design. I know Tesla has been slammed for their service but for me it's been exemplary. Burbank SC has been outstanding in their service though I know this is not the case everywhere.

I voted no because I’m waiting for the Tesla truck or perhaps the Rivian. Wasn’t sure what you were asking in the thread since the thread and poll are worded differently. If the question is “would I buy a Tesla today?” it would be hell yes. If you’re asking if I’d buy “an additional one to add to the one I already have” then it’s no, because of my earlier response.

Genuinely curious, besides autopilot and the EV acceleration of the Model 3, what else made you come to this conclusion. I'm thinking about the S4/S5 when asking this.

Funny you mention AP, which I find to be the least impressive thing (standard AP) about the car.
Man, where do I start?

The simplicity of it all was the first thing that really grabbed my interest. I really thought I wanted the fancy quilted massaging (vibrating) seats, a hi res cockpit display, apple car play, a HUD and cool ambient lighting. There are so many buttons and other things going on in these cars that it just becomes sensory overload. At the end of the day, it really is unnecessary fluff. The model 3 is the polar opposite. So minimalistic, uncluttered and refreshing. The forward view without an instrument panel is amazing. The UI is so intuitive and well organized, it really is like using an iPad. My 10 year old can navigate it without instruction.

The process of driving. Your phone is the key. You sit, brake, shift and go. When you're done, you park and walk away. There's no bulky key fob, buttons to unlock/lock the car, start/stop button, loud engine warm up. It's all very slick and streamlined.

Of course there's the drive... Coming from a modded BMW M235 and many other cars like it, I am used to quick turbo cars. The Model 3 is on a whole different level in terms of power delivery. No gears to shift, turbo to spool, launch control ritual, no wheel spin and making a total racket to go fast. It's all instant and silent. It really feels like there's a direct connection from brain to rubber on road. There's simply no comparison. The steering feels far more connected than my little 2, it's shockingly nimble and well sorted for its size and weight.

I can go on about not having to fill up twice a week on expensive premium gas, oil changes and all that....

The process of driving. Your phone is the key. You sit, brake, shift and go. When you're done, you park and walk away. There's no bulky key fob, buttons to unlock/lock the car, start/stop button, loud engine warm up.
Today, our Model 3 was scheduled for service to fix a rattle. The M3 is primarily my wife's car. I had the day free, and she was working, so I was going to take in the M3 for service, which meant she was driving our Porsche Macan to work.

She got in the Macan. I saw the brake and reverse lights turn on...and the Macan sat there. And sat there. And sat there. The driver's door opened and she called for me. "I can't get it to back up", she said. I suggested she turn the ignition key and start the car. "Oh", she said, "I'm so accustomed to putting the Model 3 in reverse and going. I forgot I had to start the Macan".

LOL.

• Funny
Reactions: Pommie and TJ73
I clicked “Yes” but if you’d have asked “Model 3 over C300”, I’d have clicked “HELL YES!!!” for the Model 3.

I drove one of these Mercedes C300s for a week and I’m sorry, but the Model 3 is a modern space ship in comparison.

This, exactly.

I recently took a C300 owner for a ride and within about 2 minutes he said he'd made a big mistake buying the MB.

Reactions: Scott7