Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The latest TMC Podcast (#14) is now available on YouTube and all major podcast networks. We covered FSD Beta's exciting v11 update, Enhanced Autopilot coming to the U.S. and Canada, and more!

M3 Pedestrian Warning Sound PWS

The more I drive the car, the more I want the pedestrian warning sound. Apart from the obvious safety aspects (its only a matter of time before someone walks out from behind a van etc into our path) it would save a lot of time in crawling behind people who do not realise that you are there - yes a very real problem.

it would save a lot of time in crawling behind people who do not realise that you are there - yes a very real problem.

This - lots. Driving through fleet services car park for example, I'm often getting stuck at walking pace behind people. Don't they know I want to get to the on-ramp and launch it FFS :)

• Funny
Reactions: MrBadger
The more I drive the car, the more I want the pedestrian warning sound. Apart from the obvious safety aspects (its only a matter of time before someone walks out from behind a van etc into our path) it would save a lot of time in crawling behind people who do not realise that you are there - yes a very real problem.

I do understand, but I live in a little village and i am not sure the sound of the spaceship rolling into town will go down to well. I think it needs some kind of volume control from the reviews i have seen.

To be fair, my current Peugeot 208 GTi whilst I wait for my Model 3 to arrive has a rather loud sport exhaust, yet no one hears it or moves out of the way anyway! They just stroll into the road looking at their phone.

Personally, I'd like to unplug the PWS as I'm not convinced anyone will check the road or listen before walking into it... Of course, it's intended to help hearing-impaired people too though!

Its really not very loud. Their complaining will be louder than the noise the car makes. Seriously, normal conversation will be louder than the PWS at most speeds.

^^^ This! ^^^

There was a video on one of the other threads where someone was taking sound level readings and complaining about how loud it is. Their voice was about 80-something dB, the car was in the region of 60-70dB. Obviously the car was further away by a few metres but it's probably about as loud as a person talking at a normal volume level.

Personally I think it's a good idea. One of the complaints people make (as a pedestrian) against EVs is the lack of noise. Plus there will probably be other sounds in future.

I'll see how annoying it is later on.

To be fair, my current Peugeot 208 GTi whilst I wait for my Model 3 to arrive has a rather loud sport exhaust, yet no one hears it or moves out of the way anyway! They just stroll into the road looking at their phone.

Yes. But blipping the throttle sorted that. You can't do that with an EV and tooting the horn is too verbose and far worse than a subtle PWS.

R.A.G

Oct 22, 2019
Herts
Personally I’d rather have it, at least if you’ve got it you have the choice, you can easily reduce the volume by taping over the speaker grill under the car if it needs toning down a bit, but as others have said I doubt if it will be necessary. I’d much rather have this noise as I’m reversing out of my drive on a dark winters morning!

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC