Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Pedestrian Warning Sound PWS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That really does sound awful. The reverse isn’t too bad, as it’s clearly a reversing vehicle. But in my opinion the forward sound, sounds like an ICE . I can’t tell if I’m hearing the speaker or the AC fans. But it sounds like a jet.

The more I drive the car, the more I want the pedestrian warning sound. Apart from the obvious safety aspects (its only a matter of time before someone walks out from behind a van etc into our path) it would save a lot of time in crawling behind people who do not realise that you are there - yes a very real problem.

The more I drive the car, the more I want the pedestrian warning sound. Apart from the obvious safety aspects (its only a matter of time before someone walks out from behind a van etc into our path) it would save a lot of time in crawling behind people who do not realise that you are there - yes a very real problem.

I do understand, but I live in a little village and i am not sure the sound of the spaceship rolling into town will go down to well. I think it needs some kind of volume control from the reviews i have seen.

To be fair, my current Peugeot 208 GTi whilst I wait for my Model 3 to arrive has a rather loud sport exhaust, yet no one hears it or moves out of the way anyway! They just stroll into the road looking at their phone.

Personally, I'd like to unplug the PWS as I'm not convinced anyone will check the road or listen before walking into it... Of course, it's intended to help hearing-impaired people too though!

Its really not very loud. Their complaining will be louder than the noise the car makes. Seriously, normal conversation will be louder than the PWS at most speeds.

^^^ This! ^^^

There was a video on one of the other threads where someone was taking sound level readings and complaining about how loud it is. Their voice was about 80-something dB, the car was in the region of 60-70dB. Obviously the car was further away by a few metres but it's probably about as loud as a person talking at a normal volume level.

Personally I think it's a good idea. One of the complaints people make (as a pedestrian) against EVs is the lack of noise. Plus there will probably be other sounds in future.

I'll see how annoying it is later on.

To be fair, my current Peugeot 208 GTi whilst I wait for my Model 3 to arrive has a rather loud sport exhaust, yet no one hears it or moves out of the way anyway! They just stroll into the road looking at their phone.

Yes. But blipping the throttle sorted that. You can't do that with an EV and tooting the horn is too verbose and far worse than a subtle PWS.

Personally I’d rather have it, at least if you’ve got it you have the choice, you can easily reduce the volume by taping over the speaker grill under the car if it needs toning down a bit, but as others have said I doubt if it will be necessary. I’d much rather have this noise as I’m reversing out of my drive on a dark winters morning!