Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Performance Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at a 2020 M3 Performance model at a local dealer (not Tesla), I first noticed that it did not have the 20 inch tires/rims and the bright red brake calipers - I then noticed there is no spoiler or racing pedals, etc. I looked up the VIN through several spots - tesla VIN check, insurnace, car fax and all state it is a performance model. When looking at the details of the vehicle on the screen in the car it sates dual motor and has the "sport" option under driving. This same dealer has another 2020 that has all these features that are missing on the color I wanted. Few questions

- didn't all 2020 model 3 performance come with all the performance upgrades? those were not "extra" I thought?
- when looking at the display in the car should it mention "performance" somewhere near where it shows the vin, dual motor, etc? I have seen this on a model X - but in looking at several model 3's I do not understand if you can easily tell if it's a performance model from the screen

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated

Doesn’t the dual motor trunk badge have a red line under it? Does the dual motor on the software screen have a red line under it?

They did have what was called a “stealth” performance model for some years that lacked the nicer wheels and breaks. I thought that ended the n the 2019 model year but I don’t know for sure. The configurator allowed sole options when ordering.

I wonder if the LR model with the boost gets the sport mode. If the vin says it’s a performance, and your screen says performance it should be one!

I am looking at a 2020 M3 Performance model at a local dealer (not Tesla), I first noticed that it did not have the 20 inch tires/rims and the bright red brake calipers - I then noticed there is no spoiler or racing pedals, etc. I looked up the VIN through several spots - tesla VIN check, insurnace, car fax and all state it is a performance model. When looking at the details of the vehicle on the screen in the car it sates dual motor and has the "sport" option under driving. This same dealer has another 2020 that has all these features that are missing on the color I wanted. Few questions

- didn't all 2020 model 3 performance come with all the performance upgrades? those were not "extra" I thought?
- when looking at the display in the car should it mention "performance" somewhere near where it shows the vin, dual motor, etc? I have seen this on a model X - but in looking at several model 3's I do not understand if you can easily tell if it's a performance model from the screen

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated
There was a point in time after the stealth performance Model 3 was no longer being sold where the website allowed you to check and uncheck the "Performance Pack" upgrade which include the wheels, spoiler and brake calipers. Effectively if you did not like how the performance wheels looked they gave the option for it to look like a Long Range Model 3 but actually be a Model 3 Performance without all of the extra performance upgrades you had the option of choosing. Its possible this model could be a byproduct of this since many people wanted 18 inch wheels with a performance upgrade but it was not offered at a cheaper price whatsoever and people paid the same amount for either option. Not sure if buying a used M3P with all of those features missing is worth it though!

Reactions: 907XCP
Doesn’t the dual motor trunk badge have a red line under it? Does the dual motor on the software screen have a red line under it?

They did have what was called a “stealth” performance model for some years that lacked the nicer wheels and breaks. I thought that ended the n the 2019 model year but I don’t know for sure. The configurator allowed sole options when ordering.

I wonder if the LR model with the boost gets the sport mode. If the vin says it’s a performance, and your screen says performance it should be one!
The dual motor trunk badge and the the dual motor software screen both have red lines under them, yes. There is just no sign of any extras that I thought came with a 2020 performance model. It does have 19inch sport wheels - that is it. The performance is supposed to have the 20inch wheels and staggered tires, bigger brake calipers (red), racing pedals, etc. This car has none of that. They do have another one - same year 2020 that DOES have all those adds and are selling for less (it has 6k more miles on it). I tried to tell the sales person about this - he didn't care. They said it has been on their lot for 77 days - I told them this is why. They are asking entirely to much for it and it doesn't have the performance adds that the other one does.

There was a point in time after the stealth performance Model 3 was no longer being sold where the website allowed you to check and uncheck the "Performance Pack" upgrade which include the wheels, spoiler and brake calipers. Effectively if you did not like how the performance wheels looked they gave the option for it to look like a Long Range Model 3 but actually be a Model 3 Performance without all of the extra performance upgrades you had the option of choosing. Its possible this model could be a byproduct of this since many people wanted 18 inch wheels with a performance upgrade but it was not offered at a cheaper price whatsoever and people paid the same amount for either option. Not sure if buying a used M3P with all of those features missing is worth it though!
totally agree - I want these things in a performance!

Sounds like a legitimate "stealth" performance, also known as P3D- on these forums (with the minus sign at the end).

For the right price they're certainly with considering, but if this dealer is pricing it just like one with the bigger brakes, that's a hard pass in my opinion.