Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Performance - Traction control on hard acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 Model 3 performance, with Pirelli P Zero tyres. It's done around 1050 miles so tyres are all new still.

If the road is not 100% dry, if I floor the accelerator down from stopped, the traction control comes on almost all the time. The icon is displayed and it limits the acceleration for a few seconds. The only time it doesn't seem to come on when doing this is if it's 100% dry condition. Even then the traction control still comes on 10-20% of the time.

I'm on latest software version, all tyres 42 psi. Obstacle Aware acceleration is off

Is this normal ?

Last edited:
I have a 2022 Model 3 performance, with Pirelli P Zero tyres. It's done around 1050 miles so tyres are all new still.

If the road is not 100% dry, if I floor the accelerator down from stopped, the traction control comes on almost all the time. The icon is displayed and it limits the acceleration for a few seconds. The only time it doesn't seem to come on when doing this is if it's 100% dry condition. Even then the traction control still comes on 10-20% of the time.

I'm on latest software version, all tyres 42 psi. Obstacle Aware acceleration is off

Is this normal ?
I think you have the answer in your own post: When the road is not 100% dry, traction control kicks in due to the high torque as there is always oil residuals on the roads. So yes, with the P version, this is normal.

Agreed but still takes some to get it to brake traction in the dry
Yes, if you're on some flat, dry decent tarmac in summer, there won't be any acceleration limit at launch, even with Pirellis.
I'd like to see a video of it happening if anyone says otherwise, but OP says "10-20%" of the time in those conditions which suggest maybe the road surface in those cases isn't perfect.

The Michelins have started doing it to me when cold, but that’s expected given they are summer tires. They get better when they warm up, just a shame my estate requires a foot stomping dash across 4 lanes of a roundabout to get into the correct lane, so I get to experience the tyres kick out each morning. Anyone know where F1 get their tyre blankets?

I’d kill for the Falken FK510s I had on my Quattro. They just felt glued to the road no matter the conditions.

I've driven M3Ps with quite a few different tyres fitted.
The fastest 0-60 times I've recorded were in winter, on a slightly damp road with winter tyres. TC was nowhere to be seen.
I've also done standing starts on 'super sticky' track tyres in the height of summer and felt TC limiting initial acceleration.
There's no one tyre which works brilliantly in all conditions.

Is this normal ?
I would just comment that if you floor the accelerator from stopped in a car that has the potential to apply all of its power instantly (somewhere in the ballpark of 500bhp) you are going to require some traction control ... no matter what the road surface condition! I can tell you this from doing some tarmac hill climb events in a car with less than half that power ... and having an ICE it didn't have the ability to apply its maximum power instantly. Despite the lower power, immaculately clean launch position and warming the tyres there was some skill required (no traction control) to get a clean launch ... because obviously the wheels want to spin. You will see cars at these events intentionally spinning up their tyres whist stationary by dropping the clutch with plenty of revs on whist lining up for the start to clean and warm the tyres. When launching, balancing the amount of power applied against the clutch release, just occasionally you actually get it bang-on! Tesla manages the power for you of course, otherwise you would be like a hillclimb car spinning it's wheels whilst stationary, even with AWD. If you think the Tesla isn't doing a good job I suggest you get a friend in a powerful ICE car (with or without traction control) and launch together ... feed back the results here! ;)

Just to add my 2 pence worth.

I’ve had my M3P for very nearly a year (360 days to be exact) I think a recent update has made the traction control kick in much much earlier as I don’t recall it ever doing it that much last year or during the wet over the summer /autumn. I’m also on factory P-Zeros and loads of tread left but the TCS halts almost all harsh acceleration every single time. Today, on a snow covered road, (it looked like it had a hard frost on it at best) the car was almost un-drivable. TCS and ABS kicked in with the slightest input of any pedal.

That said, I was on the way to swap the P-zeros for winter tyres. On the wet roads the acceleration was much quicker with notably less TCS cut ins. I headed out into the Peak district and drove on approx 1cm of snow covered car park with 100% control. Maybe the P-zeros aren’t a fan of the colder climes but have only done a few short drives since the change. (Although I’ve been using P-Zeros for about 10 years and don’t recall an issue before) Will be in a better place to fully get a grip (see what I did there 😉) on how they compare after a week or so.

Today I had no “scrubbing” while on full lock which I’ve had for a few weeks. I also ended up on some snowy roads on the commute home and had the chance to plant my foot. As the OP suggested I’d have expected the TCS to kick in - but not today, I just took off. Same results on wet roads. Was very impressed. Not done my normal commute yet so can’t comment on any change in range due to the tyres but will check that soon. Also no real notable increase in noise given these don’t have the foam inside like the normal ones do.