Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Range Loss Date and Mileage Trend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In watching the threads on range loss, I'm recognizing a trend in the shape of several member's battery degradation curves.
It appears that many of ushave seen the same significant drop at nearly the same time.

In my case, according to Teslafi, I lost 8 miles of range between 8/1/19 and 8/3/19 with 16K miles on version 2019.24.4.
Stats confirms this report but not in the same detail.

Has anyone with this sudden range loss had this occur at similar dates or mileage?

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 6.59.37 AM.png

IMG_1882.jpeg

IMG_1883.jpeg

I just confirmed with Tesla this is due to software update.

They rolled back 325 to 310 miles to protect the battery and 310 is rolled down to 300 to protect the battery too.

Some going under rated is based on their driving style. The saw many at 280-285 max range and that is normal because they have a heavy foot. Most should see 300 for AWD and 310 for RWD.

• Disagree
Reactions: tomas

They rolled back 325 to 310 miles to protect the battery and 310 is rolled down to 300 to protect the battery too.

Some going under rated is based on their driving style. The saw many at 280-285 max range and that is normal because they have a heavy foot. Most should see 300 for AWD and 310 for RWD.

Another data point: My LR RWD M3 never got the bump up from 310 to 325. I only got the bump down from 304 to 296.

Is it possible that missing the bump up and getting the bump down could explain software related range loss?

I just confirmed with Tesla...

Uh-oh. Good sign that the information following is of dubious accuracy at best.

That being said, the last update I got appeared directly correlated with the range reduction (310->300).

The reasons stated, however...I have my doubts...there was that fire in China and they may have temporarily stepped the max voltage down...but who knows...that was a Model S, not a Model 3...

Especially since “driving style” was mentioned. There has never been any evidence that the rated range is related to driving style. Every time we check, we seem to confirm rated miles are a measure of available energy, nothing more, nothing less.

I guess I should check again with this software version.

Reactions: bijan
My 2019.28.2 must be from a very special code branch then.;)
It is still at 325.

We all know not all techs know what’s going on, but I spoke the the tech that was working on my car. He may not know, and just said whatever to make me feel comfortable.

They couldn’t even push my RWD to anything higher than 24.4. My AWD has been on 28.2 since release, but the RWD can’t get it yet. Since you have 28.2, I guess they may have fixed it.

Also, most of my co-workers never even got the update that gave them 325 max range. Not sure why some still has it, some never got it, and me who had it but lost it in a firmware update.

They couldn’t even push my RWD to anything higher than 24.4. My AWD has been on 28.2 since release, but the RWD can’t get it yet. Since you have 28.2, I guess they may have fixed it.

Prior to 28.2, my LR RWD was on 24.4. That didn’t have the range drop either. It may be related to the firmware, but I think it is a dubious when the Tech says / implies that Tesla dropped the range intentionally for all cars with an upgrade for safety or whatever.

As you said, I think the Tech is just saying something to make you feel comfortable.

No change in range at all. I got 24.4 on July 26th. What did change is my efficiency seems to have gone up.

My efficiency had been around 115% for the last 3000 miles, low 110%-high 117%. But since 24.4, last ~500 miles, my efficiency has gone up to 127%.
IMG_3090.jpg
IMG_3074.jpg

is it available on Andoid?

Looking for software that accurately calculates battery degradation, my M3 in 15 months old and 27000km.
Not the last time I looked. You might want to try TeslaFi, but it's a subscription. There are probably other apps for Android that may be worth a look at.

I don't think the apps calculate degradation as much as pull the raw data off the Tesla API, after you put in your Tesla credentials.

No change in range at all. I got 24.4 on July 26th. What did change is my efficiency seems to have gone up.

My efficiency had been around 115% for the last 3000 miles, low 110%-high 117%. But since 24.4, last ~500 miles, my efficiency has gone up to 127%.
View attachment 444533 View attachment 444534

Wow, your numbers are very consistent. Do you drive the same route very consistently? Is it flat where you live?

Rated range has NEVER reflected driving style. It is purely kWh available in the battery divided by a constant. It is plausible that a software update could intentionally or accidentally change how kWh available is computed. Ambient temperature can affect. When you measure vs when charging completed can have big impact due to vampire loss, which could also change with software update.

The key thing to remember: changes in the number are NOT reflecting degradation or loss of battery capacity. They are reflecting a change in how remaining capacity is computed, or environmental circumstances like temperature.

This type of reporting is useful. If a software change had unintended consequences, Tesla needs to know. My guess: software related, it will be fixed.

Don’t panic.

Reactions: willow_hiller
The only thing that is known is many people have experienced the est. range drop since these updates at around the same time. We can only speculate what the recent updates have actually done since Tesla hasn't released any official remarks about it. I hope they elaborate how this is calculated in the future.

My trips data has been consistently right around 230 WH/m or less, which should net me about 310 miles, but my estimated is at like 294 now at 100% (drops a couple miles every few days). They might factor in idle battery drain between charges. Before the updates, I never got exactly the rated # of miles by the end of the day.

A positive takeaway is now you can actually display in miles/km and it be somewhat accurate after a few charge cycles. I was previously only using battery % because I never had the rated miles unless I was on a long trip, driving constantly. I much prefer they underestimate my range, especially if I took a long trip somewhere. This falls in line with what my wife's Mazda does more.

I would very much like if they had something buried in the menu somewhere to see diagnostic data, like battery degradation and available battery capacity. That would help reduce paranoia from all of us.