Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Rear outside seat headrest removal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JSBinPNW

Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2022
1505 SE 113th Court
I am 6'4" with long arms. I am very comfortable in my M3 with the seat fully back. I also often need to fold the rear seat down somewhat often. Question #1 - does moving the the front seat all the way back with the back seat down damage the front seat? The rear seat headrests push fairly far into the soft area of the front seats. Question #2 - can the rear seat headrests be removed? That would be the optimum solution for me. We have a Honda CRV so when taking passenngers we use that vehicle. Thank you very much for any insights you can provide.

The front seat headrests are very easily removed. The rear is just slightly different.
I wouldn't risk the damage of pressure from the headrest into the back of the front seat. I would move the front seat up a bit. What you risk isn't a big deal though. The back of the front seat is a large plastic piece. You can buy another one on Ebay used for about $100.
Here's a video on how to remove the rear headrests.
There's a tiny little hole at the base you need to insert a tool to push the release, while also pushing the button. This will release the two rods and you can pull the headrest up.

You can remove the front head rests I just did it on one side.
The clips are down pretty deep on the shaft at least deeper than
I though though. Back did not drop off on mine as some report
or hasn't yet it seems on there pretty tight. 2023 model Y picked
up march 22nd.
Procedure is listed on line and was in Tesla's DIY section to at one
point.