Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 rear view mirror auto dimming not dimming enough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have problems with M3 rear view mirror not dimming bright lights from behind? It worked fine I’m beginning, now not as well. To make sure it wasn’t just my perception, I compared it to the auto dimming rear view mirror in my 20yr old Acura. And definitely isn’t dimming as well.

Anyone have problems with M3 rear view mirror not dimming bright lights from behind? It worked fine I’m beginning, now not as well. To make sure it wasn’t just my perception, I compared it to the auto dimming rear view mirror in my 20yr old Acura. And definitely isn’t dimming as well.

Just had mine replaced yesterday by mobile tech after several weeks comparing it too the side-view dimming and determining it wasn't working. You can shine a bright light on the mirror when in a darkened area (your garage for instance) and/or at night and you should see the dimming. On Youtube there's a video of a guy complaining it dims too much! and shows the dimming affect.

It's a somewhat common issue. I'd contact Tesla and have them come check it out.

Just had mine replaced yesterday by mobile tech after several weeks comparing it too the side-view dimming and determining it wasn't working. You can shine a bright light on the mirror when in a darkened area (your garage for instance) and/or at night and you should see the dimming. On Youtube there's a video of a guy complaining it dims too much! and shows the dimming affect.

It's a somewhat common issue. I'd contact Tesla and have them come check it out.
the side mirriors have dimming?

Yes, in fact I had mobile service verify that they were working correctly, just too dim for my taste. I hang a black shear piece of cloth Netting over the interior rear view mirror at night to aid in glare reduction, and have a "night" memory setting for the outer rear view mirrors, pointing them slightly down.

Wonder if they could be lightly tinted, without hindering the inherent tinting function? I would be nice if Tesla would offer tint control in an update.

Reactions: C141medic
My rearview and side mirrors started not dimming at dusk about two months ago but then dimming at around 5:45 PM (when it was already dark in wintry New England) regardless of light input. Service advisor said it's a known issue though a firmware update is not available yet. I'd really like an option to dim manually in software.

Reactions: C141medic