Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 recalls?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it was this thread:

and this post:

In fact, the news item you posted said this:
Of course 1% is an estimate and they will only know after checking 475,000 cars. So the fact they are taking this step means it is significant enough to warrant a recall. Unlike the water ingress which caused complete failures in the RHD wiring harness ;)
My M3P is part of the recall.

Just checked & will call into SC when back (it's only 3 miles from home)

Screenshot 2021-12-30 at 18.14.21.png

My understanding is 100% of M3s made to the end of 2020 will be subject to the recall. They will all be inspected and all will have a guide fitted. Only a subset will have damage to the camera coax cable, and where so that will also be replaced - that may only be 1% of the total recalled vehicles but who knows at this point and is probably very dependent on how often you use the boot.

Mine wasn’t on the list a few hours ago, but is now. I’m presuming every pre-2021 car is on there.

I’ve got an aftermarket automatic trunk fitted to mine so not sure how that complicates things.
If they’re only fitting a guide then it’s not likely to be an issue. If a new harness is needed then that’s where it will get tricky.

I’d play safe and disconnect all the pass-through cables anyway.

If they’re only fitting a guide then it’s not likely to be an issue. If a new harness is needed then that’s where it will get tricky.

I’d play safe and disconnect all the pass-through cables anyway.
I wouldn’t really know where to start with doing that (mine was fitted by the venerable @Mr H), and also if I were to disconnect pass-through cables and close the boot, I presume Tesla wouldn’t be able to open it again without climbing through the boot from the inside to use the manual release :(

I wouldn’t really know where to start with doing that (mine was fitted by the venerable @Mr H), and also if I were to disconnect pass-through cables and close the boot, I presume Tesla wouldn’t be able to open it again without climbing through the boot from the inside to use the manual release :(
Correct, disconnecting the 2 cables inside the boot lid as well will bring it back to stock

Ranger or service centre
Neither it seems, just received this text:

Morning. No immediate action is required if you own a Model 3 vehicle affected by this recall. If you experience a loss of rear-view camera display, you may continue to operate the vehicle by performing a shoulder check and using your mirrors when backing. Tesla will contact you to schedule a service appointment when parts become available in your region and inspect and retrofit your vehicle, all free of charge. I will close this appointment for now.
Kind Regards, Tesla Service

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Neither it seems, just received this text:

Morning. No immediate action is required if you own a Model 3 vehicle affected by this recall. If you experience a loss of rear-view camera display, you may continue to operate the vehicle by performing a shoulder check and using your mirrors when backing. Tesla will contact you to schedule a service appointment when parts become available in your region and inspect and retrofit your vehicle, all free of charge. I will close this appointment for now.
Kind Regards, Tesla Service
So they are ahead of the problem then :)

That's a very very odd way to deal with a "Recall". Yes, my car is affected.
My experience with recalls from other manufacturers is the same - you need to wait for parts to be available and they contact you when ready to make an appointment. Trying to proactively schedule something will get result in you being turned away.

Mine wasn’t on the list a few hours ago, but is now. I’m presuming every pre-2021 car is on there.

I’ve got an aftermarket automatic trunk fitted to mine so not sure how that complicates things.
Could be a mammoth problem 😉
Maybe if you deliberately avoid mentioning it so will they and everyone can just pretend its not an issue.......

Last edited:
As @Mr H mentioned, disconnecting the pass-through cables (and powering down the control unit), and also reconnecting original cables as stock would just return the boot back to normal manual operation. The struts will be fine with manual movement I imagine.

Though it’s not certain what will happen and I guess it’s the risk taken when fitting these aftermarket kits.