Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
chrome delete
significant centre console changes
upholstery changes
power trunk
double glazing
heat pump

Would of loved these on my car, especially if there is no price change. Some added insulation to improve road noise, German build quality (hopefully coming soon), someone at the end of the production line checking the cars paint, fit and finish, someone to actually PDI the cars before handing over to the customer and Tesla may make the perfect car yet.
The heat pump is certainly worthwhile. Both my Leaf and Kona had heat pumps, and in winter using the heater had a negligible impact on consumption.

I’m intrigued by the double glazing idea, but I suspect most of the noise we hear in the car doesn’t come through the glass, but though the various body panels that are poorly insulated.

The power trunk is very welcome, but of course that can be added at nominal cost:

Vendor - Vendor Thread - Power Trunk and Frunk Fitting Service

Reactions: Mr H and Adopado
If they change the roof to the Y configuration and make it a hatchback that would be a real proper change.....

Octovalve and heatpump might add 10-20 miles to SR. I do wonder how LFP will play into this. Combination of being bulkier with extra efficiency. I guess they will still fit 55KWh and it would just pick up an extra 10-20 miles from the efficiency gains.

Also curios about that Elon tweet where he wants basic range to be 300+ and where that leaves the 3 SR.
That is never going to happen, it would require a significant design change, the M3 is a saloon car, they aren't going to change that. The other changes are fairly minor changes to the car, the heatpump/octovalve is the most complicated change.

Chrome delete and power boot? Man thats a shame, I'm already booked in to get both of this fitter to my, now old, Model3!

Also have already "deleted" the piano black interior.

Looks like they've built the car some of us wanted all along.

The heat pump is certainly worthwhile. Both my Leaf and Kona had heat pumps, and in winter using the heater had a negligible impact on consumption.

I’m intrigued by the double glazing idea, but I suspect most of the noise we hear in the car doesn’t come through the glass, but though the various body panels that are poorly insulated.

Maybe the double glazing is for thermal insulation rather than / as well as noise?

Reactions: ringi and Roy W.
As someone who signed for a business lease on the 29th September I’m hoping the first shipment to the UK will have these changes. Not the end of the world if not, but would be nice if the refreshes are imminent.

Following the shipping thread I don’t think any model 3s have departed to the UK (via Zebrugge) as yet?

There’s only one M3P in inventory so I’m assuming they sold off all the ‘pre refresh’ in the last quarter? Probably for two reasons, one to make the number and two to make way for the updates? Time will tell I guess!

Reactions: Danny Dog
Purported pic of new centre console

https://twitter.com/jstesla/status/1314739304770412545?s=21

E0454E51-A1D9-4934-B4DF-79CD548F45E9.jpeg

middle bin now has sliding door? doesn’t look connected to phone tray any longer. phone tray seems to have no cover and fixed in place?

Not sure how that has impacted the location of the front USB ports.

It might just be camera angle/perception but is the phone location tucked underneath the screen more? If so, perhaps to minimise driver distraction.

I’m not sure if I like it better or worse.

Keycard still destined to end up down the side of your seat too.

I’m more interested in the side panels being upholstered instead of plastic, as denoted by the stitching....

My centre console, like many on here, is wrapped (PPF) so have the best of both worlds, a very minimalist centre tunnel which doesn’t get scratched.

Dimming mirrors are apparently back too.

Getting a bit of mild upgrade envy in my March 2020 car that’s done just over 500 miles due to lockdown and WFH lol.

I’m more interested in the side panels being upholstered instead of plastic, as denoted by the stitching....

My centre console, like many on here, is wrapped (PPF) so have the best of both worlds, a very minimalist centre tunnel which doesn’t get scratched.

Dimming mirrors are apparently back too.

Getting a bit of mild upgrade envy in my March 2020 car that’s done just over 500 miles due to lockdown and WFH lol.
I'd be upset if dimming mirrors came back. Aside from matrix led headlights it would seem the refresh adds everything I think is missing from the current model 3

With what looks to be a sliding door on the middle section of the centre console there's no need for the warning on screen to close the lid gently anymore. Wonder if they branch the software to remove this or if they use feature flags to differentiate the various trim sets of the model 3?

Also, looks like the front usb ports are going to be hard to access now. I wonder if they've been moved?

With what looks to be a sliding door on the middle section of the centre console there's no need for the warning on screen to close the lid gently anymore. Wonder if they branch the software to remove this or if they use feature flags to differentiate the various trim sets of the model 3?
Just out of interest how much time have you dedicated to wondering this?

Since it would lack the relevant magnetic hardware switch in the console to trigger the alert I can't see it needing any software change at all.

Reactions: tsh2