Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Buy a £40000+ USB stick and get a free electric car thrown in! :)

The USB stick in the glove compartment is a bit more secure for sentry purposes. I wonder when they will start recording from the interior camera too when sentry events occur? Really should start an upload to Tesla cloud if alarm is triggered too...

Buy a £40000+ USB stick and get a free electric car thrown in! :)

The USB stick in the glove compartment is a bit more secure for sentry purposes. I wonder when they will start recording from the interior camera too when sentry events occur? Really should start an upload to Tesla cloud if alarm is triggered too...
Totally agree that sentry should be uploaded to the cloud instantly (maybe with premium connectivity?), I would say most criminals will know where to look for the memory stick/ssd and moving it to the glovebox will just mean they force it open causing more damage.

Reactions: Medved_77
The Ranger that came out to me today said he’d got a job tomorrow where he was changing the chrome trims on a Model 3 for the new black trims. It will be the first one he’s done. No idea of the cost, but it’s obviously possible.
For what it's worth I spent some time this morning scouring the Tesla EPC and I can't find any of the satin black trim pieces on there, nor mirror assemblies, or anything else related to the 2021 model.

So, not sure how this person has managed to a) get the part numbers for everything required, b) get the actual parts and c) book a ranger to come and fit them! Maybe they're a Tesla employee.

Reactions: CMc1 and Roy W.
For what it's worth I spent some time this morning scouring the Tesla EPC and I can't find any of the satin black trim pieces on there, nor mirror assemblies, or anything else related to the 2021 model.

So, not sure how this person has managed to a) get the part numbers for everything required, b) get the actual parts and c) book a ranger to come and fit them! Maybe they're a Tesla employee.
You might be right. I just said to the Ranger that now with the change to black, they’re going to have a lot more parts to stock, and he mentioned the job to change to black trim. He did mention that the rear quarter light and trim was one item, but didn’t specifically say that he was replacing those. I asked about the door handles, and he said he thought the customer would be wrapping those.

Strange... :cool:

I'll probably enquire out of curiosity when it comes to it. The brightwork would be easy enough to replace (rear quarter window notwithstanding), but the wing mirrors and particularly the door handles (whole door has to be taken apart pretty much, glass out, etc) would be expensive from a labour point of view.

I'm going to go on a limb and say it would cost £1500-£2000 all in, with a decent amount of that on labour.

Reactions: CMc1 and Roy W.
I'll probably enquire out of curiosity when it comes to it. The brightwork would be easy enough to replace (rear quarter window notwithstanding), but the wing mirrors and particularly the door handles (whole door has to be taken apart pretty much, glass out, etc) would be expensive from a labour point of view.

I'm going to go on a limb and say it would cost £1500-£2000 all in, with a decent amount of that on labour.

I think that's conservative, I believe the mirrors are one piece items (but I could be totally wrong), I would assume best part of £1000 for a pair if they are, plus 2 side camera's, 4 door handles, window trims plus rear quarter trim with glass, I think your could easily be that amount for genuine new parts alone.

I think that's conservative, I believe the mirrors are one piece items (but I could be totally wrong), I would assume best part of £1000 for a pair if they are, plus 2 side camera's, 4 door handles, window trims plus rear quarter trim with glass, I think your could easily be that amount for genuine new parts alone.
Yeah you're probably right. Makes the ~£13k it would cost me to upgrade my March 2020 M3P seem cheap ;)

And yes, the mirrors are one piece assemblies, although that doesn't include the mirror or the cover I don't think (at least according to the EPC)

The Ranger that came out to me today said he’d got a job tomorrow where he was changing the chrome trims on a Model 3 for the new black trims. It will be the first one he’s done. No idea of the cost, but it’s obviously possible.
Strange... :cool:
@Roy W. Maybe you misheard him & he was replacing damaged chrome on a Tesla owned by a Black rapper :eek: ?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Durzel
One thing I'm interested in is the heat pump, I've never had one so not sure how they work or what savings would really be. I'm aware the heater in the Model 3 uses a fair bit of power, luckily I've never liked a roasting hot car but I do like the way it gives instant heat from a cold start. In these colder mornings I've been switching the heater on for a few minutes before leaving to get the cabin temperature up and clear the glass, when I get in I switch the seat heater to 1 and after a couple of minutes switch the cabin heater off all together. My commute is fairly short 10-15 minutes. How long does a heat pump take to get the car up to temperature compared to the standard heater?

I am waiting to get a delivery date for a model 3 now, I am expecting it to have the refreshed items. I spoke to someone at Tesla about a week ago and he confirmed a few of the things I could remember to ask (and he knew about.)
So for an order placed 12 days ago, I will get the power trunk, new center console, all glass roof and he didn’t know about the double glazing, octo-valve or any upholstery change. Or, that was willing/able to comment on, at least.

Still, I am Southern California, so not too worried about the heater, but better efficiency and cooling? Yes, please!
I had also thought I had heard about different wheels and something about the lights? I haven’t seen anything about either of those, nor do I remember where I heard those originally. I am waiting for a cybertruck and wasn’t paying much attention to updates to the other models.

I love that they put updates in s soon as they are available, but it also means that eventually every one of us will be in the position of being jealous about newer features. Hopefully many can be re-fit to older cars!

Cross posting from the deliveries thread for visibility:

For those jonesing for info on the refresh, this has just appeared (has english subs):

Highlights:

• Laminated glass
  • Blacked out window trim / door trim
  • Brief look at new sport wheels (don't look great)
  • Power trunk demo
  • Holes in rubber sealing to help with water ingress to boot
  • Matte door trim with door graphic on open button
  • New steering wheel material ('more grippy')
  • Wheels on the wheel (!) are metal now
  • Tunnel as expected
  • And 64Gb USB flash (USB A) included in glovebox

Cross posting from the deliveries thread for visibility:

For those jonesing for info on the refresh, this has just appeared (has english subs):

Highlights:

• Laminated glass
  • Blacked out window trim / door trim
  • Brief look at new sport wheels (don't look great)
  • Power trunk demo
  • Holes in rubber sealing to help with water ingress to boot
  • Matte door trim with door graphic on open button
  • New steering wheel material ('more grippy')
  • Wheels on the wheel (!) are metal now
  • Tunnel as expected
  • And 64Gb USB flash (USB A) included in glovebox

A decent list of changes (could take or leave the chrome vs black out)

I really dislike that centre console/tunnel though. The old one is more unique, interesting, and better (once the piano black is covered).

As someone that picked up in september, the only thing I'm a bit jealous of here is the laminated/double glazing.

A decent list of changes (could take or leave the chrome vs black out)

I really dislike that centre console/tunnel though. The old one is more unique, interesting, and better (once the piano black is covered).

As someone that picked up in september, the only thing I'm a bit jealous of here is the laminated/double glazing.
Maybe of interest:
model3 pvb laminated glass retrofit

• Love
Reactions: CMc1