Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Replacement tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving a 2020 M3 long range. Currently at 30k miles and tires are getting a bit lean. Factory tires are Continental Pro Contact. I'm getting quotes and looking for recommendations for all season tires. I have a couple places recommending Toyo Extenza tires. Also reading that Michelin Cross Country are good.

Any thoughts or other brand recommendations? I'd like to keep in the $1,100 ish range and do not want tires that may be noisier. (Continentals are not bad).

Thanks.

Driving a 2020 M3 long range. Currently at 30k miles and tires are getting a bit lean. Factory tires are Continental Pro Contact. I'm getting quotes and looking for recommendations for all season tires. I have a couple places recommending Toyo Extenza tires. Also reading that Michelin Cross Country are good.

Any thoughts or other brand recommendations? I'd like to keep in the $1,100 ish range and do not want tires that may be noisier. (Continentals are not bad).

Thanks.
I suggest you look at the prorated warranty on the tires. I was able to get replacements for half off. Of course, this means getting the same tires.

Reactions: TimTam
Upvote 0
Michelin CrossClimate 2 are excellent all seasons for areas that get real snow, but a bit on the spendy side. I got Nokian Encompass AW01 as a cheaper alternative that still performs in the snow. I have had good luck with Continental DWS in the past on FWD vehicles as well.

Upvote 0
What are your priorities?
  • Range / economy, noise: the OEM tires or various "EV" tires optimized for range / economy and noise.
  • Sportier performance with good (for an all-season tire) winter performance: Michelin CrossClimate2 (but expect about 11% worse range / economy)
  • Even sportier performance: various ultra-high-performance tires (but expect worse range / economy)

Upvote 0
What are your priorities?
  • Range / economy, noise: the OEM tires or various "EV" tires optimized for range / economy and noise.
  • Sportier performance with good (for an all-season tire) winter performance: Michelin CrossClimate2 (but expect about 11% worse range / economy)
  • Even sportier performance: various ultra-high-performance tires (but expect worse range / economy)
Thanks. Good info.

I'm looking for economy and noise. I really don't want to sacrifice range (good tip) with sportier tires. This being my first Tesla, the performance is "great" with my factory tires for the first 30k miles. Would be interesting to know the difference with sportier tires.

Upvote 0

Thanks.
Stick with stock Continental Pro Contact RX - On my 3rd set, went through exhaustive research process each time. Always end up back to the same conclusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: KenFTL
Upvote 0
Thanks. They served me well so far so I will strongly consider sticking with the Continentals.
You've probably already replaced your tires by now, but for anyone in a similar boat looking for new rubber, I just replaced my stock Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires on my '21 Model 3 SR+ (46k miles) as they were down to 2-4/32nds. Also, I almost spun out coming out of an off-ramp on a damp (but not soaking wet) day, which hastened my search for new tires. A visit to the Tesla service center for final warranty work on my 3 before my b2b warranty expires (will blow by 50k miles in the next couple of months) also revealed that my tires (especially the fronts) needed an alignment as there was a lot of extra wear on the inner half of the fronts. Actually surprised I got 46k miles out of the OEMs.

Living in Maryland, I wanted true all-season tires that could handle a little snow as well, so my search narrowed down to the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's and the Continental ExtremeContact DSW 06 PLUS's. After reading a review on Tirerack, I decided the Conti's would better suit me (longer tread life, better overall performance except for snow) so I took the plunge and ordered a set from Tirerack and had them shipped to my local NTB. Ordering them from TireRack, they came with 2 years of road hazard protection....cost $848 + tax. NTB charged an additional $110 for installation/balancing, and I shelled out another $150 for 3 years of alignments.

Aside from them completely F'ing up the initial alignment (my steering wheel was off-center almost 45 degrees and the car threw a bunch of error codes by the time I drove it back to NTB...ended up having to clear them manually after they fixed the alignment) everything's good. Only have made 1 commute with the Conti's so far, but seems efficiency is down 5-10%. Hopefully that will come down once the tires are broken in. They feel very good with the limited road time with them so far.

Upvote 0
...I took the plunge and ordered a set from Tirerack and had them shipped to my local NTB. Ordering them from TireRack, they came with 2 years of road hazard protection....cost $848 + tax. NTB charged an additional $110 for installation/balancing, and I shelled out another $150 for 3 years of alignments.
Thanks for posting this. I'm also in Maryland and was wondering how I'd handle replacement tires and installation when it's time. This info will help me.

Did NTB use the pucks on the lift? Did they give any indication that the didn't know much about a Tesla?

Upvote 0
Did NTB use the pucks on the lift? Did they give any indication that the didn't know much about a Tesla?
I think it depends on which NTB you go to. The one I went to didn't have pucks, but luckily I did, so they used my pucks to lift the car. Also, the service guy didn't even know how to unlock a Tesla (LOL) so I had to show him. I assumed since Teslas are a dime a dozen in my area they had to have serviced a Tesla before, but I guess I shouldn't have assumed.

Upvote 0
I think it depends on which NTB you go to. The one I went to didn't have pucks, but luckily I did, so they used my pucks to lift the car. Also, the service guy didn't even know how to unlock a Tesla (LOL) so I had to show him. I assumed since Teslas are a dime a dozen in my area they had to have serviced a Tesla before, but I guess I shouldn't have assumed.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Might use a small tire shop nearby in Mt. Airy.

Upvote 0
I decided the Conti's would better suit me (longer tread life, better overall performance except for snow) so I took the plunge and ordered a set from Tirerack
I have had the DS06's on my 3LR AWD for 24k miles now. I just rotated them last week and I measured the tread depth. They are all still evenly worn (After having Telsa perform an alignment at 30k miles) and have 7-8/32nd tread depth remaining. I am impressed with the wear rate and the handling is better than the stock MXM4's. Initially efficiency was worse, but now is about the same as the MXM4's.

Upvote 0

Thanks.
I've been keeping an eye on Sailun Erange tires:

they're a real bargain and seem to get excellent reviews.

Upvote 0
Michelin CrossClimate 2 are excellent all seasons for areas that get real snow, but a bit on the spendy side. I got Nokian Encompass AW01 as a cheaper alternative that still performs in the snow. I have had good luck with Continental DWS in the past on FWD vehicles as well.
How are those AW01's? My local DT has a set on hand. I'm worried a more snow oriented tire will sacrifice some range and handling. But you'd think with that treadwear rating they wouldn't have a ton of rolling resistance compared to the stock Primacy's.

Upvote 0
How are those AW01's? My local DT has a set on hand. I'm worried a more snow oriented tire will sacrifice some range and handling. But you'd think with that treadwear rating they wouldn't have a ton of rolling resistance compared to the stock Primacy's.
I decided to get tires (Conti DSW 06's) that had SOME snow ability but not to the point that I would have to sacrifice range/comfort for the other ~360 days of the year where there was no snow (and this past year 365 days with no snow to drive on LOL). And if it ends up snowing to the point I can only get by on snow tires, 99.99% chance I wouldn't be taking out the 3 to drive anyways.

Upvote 0

So far so good. I keep my tires lower than the recommended pressure, so I can't really give a meaningful efficiency number but I didn't notice a difference going from (very worn) MXM4 in my normal daily routine. They are definitely the bees knees in the snow. Best performance this side of a real snow tire. They ride nice, but do give up some steering feel and roadholding compared t the MXM4. Not a performance tire or even a "sporty" tire. Just a good snow-competent touring tire.

They are on the noisy side, which didn't bother me much at first, but now that I'm on a NVH kick, taking apart my car to sound deaden this and that, it's bothering me some. Just a humming noise at pretty much any speed. Not terrible, but noticeably louder than the MXM4.

Reactions: BogStandard
Upvote 0