Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Replacement tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving a 2020 M3 long range. Currently at 30k miles and tires are getting a bit lean. Factory tires are Continental Pro Contact. I'm getting quotes and looking for recommendations for all season tires. I have a couple places recommending Toyo Extenza tires. Also reading that Michelin Cross Country are good.

Any thoughts or other brand recommendations? I'd like to keep in the $1,100 ish range and do not want tires that may be noisier. (Continentals are not bad).

Thanks.

So far so good. I keep my tires lower than the recommended pressure, so I can't really give a meaningful efficiency number but I didn't notice a difference going from (very worn) MXM4 in my normal daily routine. They are definitely the bees knees in the snow. Best performance this side of a real snow tire. They ride nice, but do give up some steering feel and roadholding compared t the MXM4. Not a performance tire or even a "sporty" tire. Just a good snow-competent touring tire.

They are on the noisy side, which didn't bother me much at first, but now that I'm on a NVH kick, taking apart my car to sound deaden this and that, it's bothering me some. Just a humming noise at pretty much any speed. Not terrible, but noticeably louder than the MXM4.
Thanks for the feedback! Maybe I'll give them a try before next winter rolls around if I don't get anything by then. Not sure if the OEMs will last until then though. They're already only a couple 32nds away from the wear bars.

Upvote 0
Is there really a huge difference in efficiency and noise levels between the OEM tires and el cheapo Barum, Milestar or Westlake tires from Discount Tire? I’m not a wannabe racer; I just take the kids to school everyday and commute around town and travel on the highway. I don’t need anything fancy and have always gone with the cheapest tires with good ratings and decent mileage warranty on my previous ICE cars.

Upvote 0
Is there really a huge difference in efficiency and noise levels between the OEM tires and el cheapo Barum, Milestar or Westlake tires from Discount Tire?
Most reports comparing tires that are not specifically low rolling resistance to those which are low rolling resistance (i.e. mostly OEM tires and a few others marketed as low rolling resistance, including "EV" tires) suggest that tires that are not low rolling resistance could lose up to 10-15% of economy and range, although there are few public tests in the US indicating how each specific tire model does. Presumably, this can apply to "low cost brand" tires as well as the better known brand tires. Whether up to 10-15% is "huge" depends on what you consider "huge". But consider any added electricity cost when comparing tire costs.

For ICEVs, the apparent magnitude in percentage terms appears smaller, but that is because ICEVs consume much of their fuel to produce waste heat. But the cost of extra fuel due to tire rolling resistance is significant enough that it should be considered when comparing costs of tires for ICEVs.

Upvote 0
For those thinking about el cheapo tires, your might want to check out a few reviews. The safety you are giving up may not be worth the price.
I doubt it. Never had any problems. I also live in the New England states. Car is heavy so does not really matter what tires you put in, you will need to replace tires as soon as it reaches 4/32nd soon. 2-3 weeks will probably get it to 2/32nd. Cheap tires are the way to go. Someone else assessment just assumes that his skill is the same as yous.

Worst if you have air suspension

Upvote 0
You go right ahead... I just hope you don't have to stop quickly behind me.
Hahaha. I never had any accidents the 25 years of driving. I drive over 120k miles on the Tesla as well. Trust me, a 4000 lb car momentum movement will not be prevented by tires. Also, deceleration is key to safe driving.
Putting someone else confidence in you is like seeking acknowledgement that you are the same person. I have driven in cross climate 2, wrg4, turenza, and cheapo tires. No difference

Upvote 0
Hahaha. I never had any accidents the 25 years of driving. I drive over 120k miles on the Tesla as well. Trust me, a 4000 lb car momentum movement will not be prevented by tires. Also, deceleration is key to safe driving.
Putting someone else confidence in you is like seeking acknowledgement that you are the same person. I have driven in cross climate 2, wrg4, turenza, and cheapo tires. No difference
The only thing between that 4,000 lb car and the road surface is the tire and yes a good quality tire has better grip and handling than a cheap tire. That is a fact whether it's performance tires, all season tires, or winter tires. Shorter stopping distances equals safer tires. You can not control all circumstances that occur on the roads and the ability to avoid unforeseen incidences increases your safety and those around you.
According to Forbes: In 2020, a total of 35,766 fatal car accidents occurred on roadways across the United States. Another 1,593,390 crashes resulted in injuries and 3,621,681 caused property damage. That means a total of 5,250,837 collisions happened over the course of a single year.

Reactions: pikeman
Upvote 0
I have to agree. Been driving since I first got my license in 1996. I've had all manners of vehicles, ranging from a Pontiac to Toyota to Mazda to Hyundai to Subaru to Audi and now two Teslas -- never had an issue with tires. I've usually gone with the cheap tires, but I would sometimes go for the well-known brands if the price difference wasn't too big or if there were nice rebates. The keys for me are with tire are:

1) Don't drive like an ass
2) Don't tailgate
3) Keep speed down in the rain/snow
4) Don't ride down to the wear bars

I have never had a problem using this basic common sense.

Upvote 0
I have to agree. Been driving since I first got my license in 1996. I've had all manners of vehicles, ranging from a Pontiac to Toyota to Mazda to Hyundai to Subaru to Audi and now two Teslas -- never had an issue with tires. I've usually gone with the cheap tires, but I would sometimes go for the well-known brands if the price difference wasn't too big or if there were nice rebates. The keys for me are with tire are:

1) Don't drive like an ass
2) Don't tailgate
3) Keep speed down in the rain/snow
4) Don't ride down to the wear bars

I have never had a problem using this basic common sense.
None of the aspects you have mentioned can control the actions of those driving around you.

Reactions: GoodKarma
Upvote 0