Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 running front camera defroster just for fun when parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I stepped out the back door this morning I noticed that our M3 was covered with a thin layer of fine snow except for the front camera, which had been defrosted (triangle clear of snow other than defroster lines). I have pix but it's a pain to post them, and they don't really add to the written description IMO.

I don't see this as a problem per se -- the energy to run the defroster is probably peanuts, and besides the car was plugged in. But I'm mystified as to why they'd do this. The back window defrost hadn't been run (can't tell about the mirrors since they're vertical, no accumulation). The car was thoroughly cold-soaked, and no, nobody had preheated it. I mean, I know the camera has to be clear for AP to work, but the whole windshield has to be clear for the car to work, and clearing the windshield would clear the camera anyway.

An odd choice. Any guesses why they did it?

Like this?

Assuming some type of resistance heat. Also see a similar thing with parking sensors.

What do you think @mongo?

20190125_092106.jpg

Like this?

Assuming some type of resistance heat. Also see a similar thing with parking sensors.

View attachment 371648
A lot like that (a little more distinctly triangular, and with stripes where not completely cleared). I hadn't noticed about the sensors, for some reason I wasn't inspired to linger outside (though come Wednesday, today will seem like beach weather). Clearly it's resistance heat, that's how the defrosters work -- I guess maybe you mean some kind of leakage rather than deliberate operation of the heaters? That would seem pretty sloppy, I'm still thinking it's a design choice rather than an oversight.

Hmm, possibly something about the cameras can be damaged by low temps? (Seems a bit unlikely but there must be some reason.)

A lot like that (a little more distinctly triangular, and with stripes where not completely cleared, I guess I will go to the trouble of posting the pic). I hadn't noticed about the sensors, for some reason I wasn't inspired to linger outside (though come Wednesday, today will seem like beach weather). Clearly it's resistance heat, that's how the defrosters work -- I guess maybe you mean some kind of leakage rather than deliberate operation of the heaters? That would seem pretty sloppy, I'm still thinking it's a design choice rather than an oversight.

Hmm, possibly something about the cameras can be damaged by low temps? (Seems a bit unlikely but there must be some reason.)

No I think it is intentional. I think it runs all the time in cold temps regardless of your defroster settings. Not sure if defroster could get through the triangle as easy as resistance heat.

That was last January. I have noticed it often. That was just a light dusting.

Check your S. I think it does the same thing.

Nothing like cold weather testing

• Informative
Reactions: jgs
No I think it is intentional. I think it runs all the time in cold temps regardless of your defroster settings. Not sure if defroster could get through the triangle as easy as resistance heat.
To be clear I think (actually I'm sure) the cameras use the same kind of resistive defrost the back window does. I wasn't referring to the blowy fan windshield defroster.

Check your S. I think it does the same thing.
It was under cover last night so I can't do a 1:1 compare, but I've never noticed it doing that unless I preheat it. (At which point yes, it has exactly the same system for clearing the camera.) I'll keep an eye on it in coming days, normally the M3 is covered and the S is sitting out, of late.

Nothing like cold weather testing
Indeed!

Here it is, by the way. You can see the heating element lines just as clear as anything.

IMG_5238.jpg
IMG_5239.JPG

Last edited:
Like this?

View attachment 371648

Defroster for the AP cameras. Functionality may be changing as part of the continuous dashcam feature they are working on. It also reduces the time needed to get the cameras working for all the safety features. Additionally, keeping it warm prevents issues with the optics frosting or condensing over when you get into a cold car a start breathing.
I believe the B pillars are also heated, and likely the fender/ repeater ones.

Also my pet theory why auto wipers don't work well on really light mist, it evaporates...

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl and jgs
When I stepped out the back door this morning I noticed that our M3 was covered with a thin layer of fine snow except for the front camera, which had been defrosted (triangle clear of snow other than defroster lines). I have pix but it's a pain to post them, and they don't really add to the written description IMO.

I don't see this as a problem per se -- the energy to run the defroster is probably peanuts, and besides the car was plugged in. But I'm mystified as to why they'd do this. The back window defrost hadn't been run (can't tell about the mirrors since they're vertical, no accumulation). The car was thoroughly cold-soaked, and no, nobody had preheated it. I mean, I know the camera has to be clear for AP to work, but the whole windshield has to be clear for the car to work, and clearing the windshield would clear the camera anyway.

An odd choice. Any guesses why they did it?

There you go with false assumptions "but the whole windshield has to be clear for the car to work".

Not when the car drives itself. Then it becomes like the idiots you see on the road that dug a little hole just for the driver to see forward.