Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 & S Recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is recalling almost half a million of its Model 3 and Model S vehicles, citing two separate technical defects that could increase the risk of accidents. In a report filed December 21 with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, found by Barron’s, the automaker said the issues affect all Model 3s made between 2017 and 2021 and certain Model Ss made between 2014 and 2021. It says opening and closing the Model 3’s trunk can damage the rear-view camera cable harness, preventing the camera from being able to display images. In Model Ss, meanwhile, a potentially faulty latch could cause the vehicle’s front hood to open all by itself.

Tesla is recalling almost half a million of its Model 3 and Model S vehicles, citing two separate technical defects that could increase the risk of accidents. In a report filed December 21 with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, found by Barron’s, the automaker said the issues affect all Model 3s made between 2017 and 2021 and certain Model Ss made between 2014 and 2021. It says opening and closing the Model 3’s trunk can damage the rear-view camera cable harness, preventing the camera from being able to display images. In Model Ss, meanwhile, a potentially faulty latch could cause the vehicle’s front hood to open all by itself.
Just wanted to add that this doesn't affect 2021 refresh MS folks. Affected S productions are Sep 2014 - Dec 2020, whereas refreshes started being produced in Jun 2021 (I think).

Those with vehicles that are subject to the recall likely already have received notification from Tesla (I woke up to have the email in my inbox, having received it just past midnight California time).

I will say that the email for the Model S secondary latch issue is not very well written. It is title 'trunk secondary latch', continues to use the word trunk for about the first half of the description, but then about halfway through it then references frunk. I do believe this is with the front trunk, or frunk as they explicitly state to use the description "Open Recall Repair – MS Frunk secondary Latch & Striker" for creating the service appointment request.

Reactions: QUBO
It is scary when the hood flies up. When I was driving my father's 3 day old 1954 Cadillac, the hood flew up against the windshield. The Cadillac dealer said that the first 2,500 of the Model 62 had defective hood latches, and the company had reported 7 fatal accidents due to the latch.

yea....my wife M3 and my Ms are both in that recall....schedued fix for 3 jan 2022