Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 SP: Springfield OR to Grants Pass OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 M3 Standard Plus that has a theoretical range of 240miles.

I’m planning a trip on the I-5 south and noticed there are no supercharger between Springfield OR and Grants Pass OR. Apparently there’s a planned supercharger for roseburg, buts it’s a whiles away.

Given that the Springfield supercharger to Grants Pass is is about 135 miles, does anyone see any issues with range here? I’m concerned about reduction in range due to elevation increases on the route, AC usage and I’m carrying a few large suitcases as we’re going for a holiday.

Does anyone have experience with a 2019 M3 standard plus model on this route? Is the elevation gain a concern for range between Springfield and Grants Pass.

Using ‘A Better Route Planner’ it says to not drive more than 45mph on this route to save battery which seems ridiculous.

Any help or thoughts here is appreciated.

ABRP is suggesting you could make it going from 100% battery down to 23%… but that is with a 5.6mph tail wind and using the standard model for a SR+ (261 Wh/mi reference consumption at 65mph).

I would think you could make this, even with a headwind 5 or 10mph and if you had to slow down maybe only by 5 to 10mph from the speed limit.

I would check your settings in ABRP, do you have your arrival charge minimum at like 40% or something?

You'll make it, but you should charge to at least 90% and monitor your speed. Just slow down if you your expected arrival percentage goes down. I would start at the speed limit and adjust from there. You can also draft a semi with autopilot fairly easily on interstates (although probably not worth it on the inclines).

This route would be more of a concern in winter but in summer the battery is fairly efficient. There is a small net elevation gain and some low (2,000 ft) passes, but overall the elevation gain/change isn't much of a conern.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
@PLUS EV 's advice is spot on. Watch your arrival charge and slow down if you see it dropping too fast/low.
If you get in a bind, you could use a destination charger in Sutherlin at the Best Western.
Plugshare says that it is available for $20 and you would gain 30 miles range in an hour.

Thanks everyone. This is helpful.

couple other questions:
1. Does autopilot reduce battery efficiency? Or does it help?
2. How does AC usage play into this? I’m guessing reducing the AC probably helps?

I don't think AP really affects it very much... might actually improve a little if you have trouble maintaining a constant speed, etc

AC uses some energy, but not nearly as much as heat in the winter. You could try turning it off if you're super seriously in a bad position, but if you keep it moderate (69 to 72) I don't think you'll see much of a difference... a few percent probably.

@PLUS EV 's advice is spot on. Watch your arrival charge and slow down if you see it dropping too fast/low.
If you get in a bind, you could use a destination charger in Sutherlin at the Best Western.
Plugshare says that it is available for $20 and you would gain 30 miles range in an hour.
FWIW I have used this destination charger as I stayed there once. When you arrive, it appears the chargers are free and open, but there is no electricity. When I checked in, I asked about it and they came out and turned on the electricity for me. I get that they don't want free loaders but it was a fairly clunky process and gave me a bad impression of the place from the get-go. It probably added 10-15 minutes to the check-in process and it just wasn't something I wanted to deal with after a long day of travel. But sure, they do work and they are an option in case of emergency.

I don't think AP really affects it very much... might actually improve a little if you have trouble maintaining a constant speed, etc

AC uses some energy, but not nearly as much as heat in the winter. You could try turning it off if you're super seriously in a bad position, but if you keep it moderate (69 to 72) I don't think you'll see much of a difference... a few percent probably.
Agree with all of this. And definitely don't get the notion that you will shut off a/c and run with the windows open as that will cause drag and be even worse than just using the a/c.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and acarney
Not sure what the holdup with getting a SC in Roseburg. Tesla even added one to the map on Myrtle creek just south of Roseburg implying they can’t get a host or something. Want to tow a small camper with MY from Seattle to San Diego. Put into ABRP with usage of 600 wh/ mile. Says I’m good the whole way on I5 except can’t get through Springfield to Grants pass. Seeings how major I5 is, Tesla needs to find a way to get this done!

I have a 2019 M3 Standard Plus that has a theoretical range of 240miles.

I’m planning a trip on the I-5 south and noticed there are no supercharger between Springfield OR and Grants Pass OR. Apparently there’s a planned supercharger for roseburg, buts it’s a whiles away.

Given that the Springfield supercharger to Grants Pass is is about 135 miles, does anyone see any issues with range here? I’m concerned about reduction in range due to elevation increases on the route, AC usage and I’m carrying a few large suitcases as we’re going for a holiday.

Does anyone have experience with a 2019 M3 standard plus model on this route? Is the elevation gain a concern for range between Springfield and Grants Pass.

Using ‘A Better Route Planner’ it says to not drive more than 45mph on this route to save battery which seems ridiculous.

Any help or thoughts here is appreciated.

We have the same vehicle (assuming you also have 18" aero's). Although we haven't done that leg, we've done plenty of longer legs, with similar elevation gain, without a problem (e.g. Sheridan to Evansville, WY). I don't know why, but ABRP consistently overestimates our consumption when entering in accurate conditions info - I guess the baseline wh/m it assumes is just higher than our actual SR+ usage. We find the in-car Tesla navigation estimates to be much more optimistic (and accurate in most cases). Of course, YMMV! :)

As for efficiency, in addition to the helpful comments above, make sure your tires are up to pressure.

Reactions: PLUS EV
Update: this turned out to be a pretty straightforward route. Started around 100% at Springfield and reached Grants pass with about 40% left. Generally used autopilot at a speed of 60mph (so took some time). Also didn’t need the the AC since it was 70F - kept the fan at LO.

I guess it’s more of a challenge to maintain efficiency in the winters.

Update: this turned out to be a pretty straightforward route. Started around 100% at Springfield and reached Grants pass with about 40% left. Generally used autopilot at a speed of 60mph (so took some time). Also didn’t need the the AC since it was 70F - kept the fan at LO.

I guess it’s more of a challenge to maintain efficiency in the winters.

I'm late to the party on this thread, but I was going to say pretty much exactly what you wrote. I've driven this leg multiple times both ways in a 2017MS 75D whose range has gone down to 236 miles, so very similar to yours. Never had a problem making it with decent margins in either direction, but it has always been in the summer. I also drove regular freeway speeds.

rant/ This open stretch is still a major pet peeve for me, not because I can't make it but because it forces me into using the Grant's Pass and Springfield SC's. The Springfield SC is OK, a little far from the freeway, but the Grant's pass SC is, honestly, a shitty little SC in a parking lot well behind a diner I wouldn't care to use in the first place with nothing else particularly close by. The Myrtle Creek and Roseburg SC's can't come soon enough. This is the biggest gap in SC's on I-5 between Canada and Mexico! /rant

Reactions: bruce4000