Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 SR+ 150 miles on full charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m my last car, a BMW i3s in summer my range could show a heady 180, in winter on full charge I’d be lucky to get 100 miles, despite driving like a 90 year old nun, turning off everything and driving in eco pro+. I can’t comment on my M3 yet as I’ve only got 62 miles on the clock.

Precondition wherever possible I think, it can only help.

Upvote 0
hmm might have a play - normally expect around 200 or thereabouts of mostly motorway 70-80mph on my SR+ but thats been through the milder months. So 150 sounds about right for winter. I did a trip to stoke a couple of weeks ago and it was cold, started preconditioned and 100% and I think that got me there about 15% battery and its 152 miles?

Upvote 0
Hi
Did a 150 mile round trip today on a full charge.
I am heavy footed but doesn’t this seem a bit low?
Where’s the other 120 miles gone
This is a common surprise among first year ev owners. cooler temps really affect range. The good news is, you can mitigate if you really need more range. Preconditioning battery and really preheat while plugged in, before a trip, and drive easier. You’ll squeeze extra out. If you don’t really require the range, continue to enjoy your spirited fun driving and don’t fret about it. Even when youre only getting half the rated range, it’s still as energy efficient as a 60mpg car.

Reactions: Js1977
Upvote 0
Yeah Pre-conditioning the car through the app at least half hour before you set off on a big journey makes a big difference. I did 165 miles to Tebay Supercharger from Derby the other day in Rain and 2c. Arrived with 22% battery left which seemed about right. If I precondition and prewarm the cabin I am finding on the motorway at 70 and quite low heating through the journey I was getting about 20 miles per 10% battery, whereas on the return journey from Carlisle completely forgot to pre condition and the 75 miles to Scotch Corner took about 45% of my battery.

Upvote 0
In the first week of ownership of my SR+, I did 485 miles. all in sub 5deg temps (some days were well into the minuses), wet roads and mashing the pedal at most opportunities! haha!

According to the trip info and also confirming by measuring KW usage from charging at home and at superchargers, I have averaged 286 wh/mi or just over 200 mile range. This is a mixture of local town roads and 70mph dual carriageways.

I have however, been preheating and conditioning for all the journeys at home whilst plugged in.

Upvote 0
Hi
Did a 150 mile round trip today on a full charge.
I am heavy footed but doesn’t this seem a bit low?
Where’s the other 120 miles gone
There are many threads and posts on the forum about the potential range in different circumstances. The short answer is that you never start with a fixed range so you have not lost anything. The car WLTP does not take account of any the circumstances of one particular trip. In some rare circumstances you may exceed the WLTP but in most other circumstances you will inevitably get less. Winter has a disproportionate effect due to temperature, wind and rain. As you get to know the car and have driven in different conditions and on different types of roads at different speeds you will get to know what to expect. Use of the Energy Graph feature for your trips will give you a better idea of how you are doing in relation to predicted range. Many people choose to view their battery use in percentage for this reason ... that starting figure in miles can give the wrong idea!

Upvote 0
My experiences in a Long Range Model 3 (old) - going through Europe in winter, especially Germany, didn't care about range as me & family needed to stop more frequently than the car, Germany has unlimited speed sections, so went VERY fast when safe.

UK - I've rarely used superchargers, plug in at home to pre-condition car to heat cabin, maybe battery. On trips out to seaside (280-300 miles round trip without charging but some on slow roads/traffic congestion), I'm generally faster out than coming back (until I know I have enough range). Knowing a few tricks & tips helps.

• Pre-heat car (on charger) before leaving - seats to max then switch to 1 or 2 for journey, cabin to high-comfortable then turn it down a bit on journey. Use home energy to overheat car
  • Cold, wet, sea-level air is much harder to push out of the way
  • Seat heat more efficient than cabin/air heating
  • 5mph slower makes a makes a huge difference (last leg of a long trip, 100 miles, predicted charge on arrival went from minus 3% to arrived with plus 6%)
  • Don't navigate to a supercharger a long way from it. If you prefer range to charging speed, only navigate when near as warming battery takes a lot of energy
  • Without getting too close, be in the wake of a large vehicle - but always be safe ("yes Dad..")
  • Tyre pressures can make a difference, you don't want over-inflated, but winter can make pressures lower without realising
  • Know your vehicle - plenty of youtube videos with more tips - it would be great to know where energy is being used in detail. Bjorn Nyland's winter Norway videos are useful for this. I'm sure there are even colder places eg Canada
  • In EVs - hard accelerating might not be much worse than moderate acceleration, it's unlike a geared ICE (even auto), cruising speed is probably more important
  • Read the road, one-pedal driving & gentle regen deceleration, avoid braking if regen is enough
  • Switch air-con/heating to manual
  • As you get more experienced, you'll get more cocky & arrive back home (assuming charger) at low percentage - plug in to charger straight away, don't let battery get cold before charging if possible (depends on electricity rates etc, even if more expensive, maybe top up a little).
  • Switch to percent, not miles. Miles can be based on your driving, different standards (EPA/WLTP etc)
  • For longer trips, plan out a RETURN route with aBetterRoutePlanner (ABRP) or similar to give MORE options for charging (it'll show ones for the return leg that you might just have/choose to use on your journey out or vice versa)

I used to do a long commute & with the petrol car I had, I had to top up EVERY day as every other day was just a bit too close for comfort. Doing that same commute now, I'd just be plugging in at home, getting in to a pre-heated, defrosted car while my neighbours are scraping their cars & swearing. Adding up filling time, defrosting an ICE both journeys added maybe 30 minutes to the journey? EVs win hands down in my opinion

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Without getting too close, be in the wake of a large vehicle - but always be safe ("yes Dad..")
I thought that myth had been busted?

Reactions: Adopado
Upvote 0
If you get caught short on energy, go at 50mph on the motorway (just follow a lorry on inside lane).
The range will go up a shed load.
Done this in our leaf in the past when I thought I was going to run out and the range is way way better.
Although a very frustrating drive. Better than running out tho.
A TopTip is to follow a coach for 2 reasons - 1, they go faster than a truck and 2, You get free wifi.....

Upvote 0
Yeah Pre-conditioning the car through the app at least half hour before you set off on a big journey makes a big difference. I did 165 miles to Tebay Supercharger from Derby the other day in Rain and 2c. Arrived with 22% battery left which seemed about right. If I precondition and prewarm the cabin I am finding on the motorway at 70 and quite low heating through the journey I was getting about 20 miles per 10% battery, whereas on the return journey from Carlisle completely forgot to pre condition and the 75 miles to Scotch Corner took about 45% of my battery.

20 miles per 10% is a rough number I use for longer trips. Goes out of the window on cold starts and short hops but thats fine as I can plug in when needed for those.

Nav seems fairly pessimistic when it starts off too - when I went to stoke the other day and it was cold out, it was predicting arriving with 5% but that quickly went up to 15-20% after cruising on the motorway for a while. Needs a few miles to forget your past history I guess

Reactions: badbadger06
Upvote 0
I thought that myth had been busted?

Autopilot (free one), set distance to 1-3) - more distance than the average Audi driver on the motorway.

In America, people can get funny about distances that are normal in UK.

Seems to make a difference to me and others. Instant readouts on EV vs ICE having to do averages.

"In the Mythbusters episode Big Rig Myths, they tested a model truck and car in a wind tunnel at the equivalence of seven car lengths (about 70 feet) away from the semi—which is about half the commonly recommended safe distance of 150 feet from a semi-truck at 55mph*—and found that the amount of wind resistance on a car was cut fairly significantly. At the insane distance of two feet from the back of a semi at 55mph, the model test showed that the amount of drag was reduced almost completely."

• Helpful
Reactions: badbadger06
Upvote 0
If you're driving at 55 mph you'll get more savings from going at the reduced speed than you will by driving too close to the vehicle in front.

At 55mph they got an 11% difference at 100 feet from the 'big rig'.
The UK safe stopping distance at 50 mph is 174 feet.

The part you highlighted was at 70 feet from the vehicle in front. Well under half the safe stopping distance.

So sure you will get a saving in consumption if you drive too close to the vehicle in front of you. If you stick to the safe distances, then the improvement will be marginal.

Being safer than an Audi driver won't make the wounds heal any quicker. :)

Reactions: Adopado
Upvote 0