Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 SR+ 80% charge distance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have looked up and found very technical discussions on battery degradation, but I was hoping to see what other people with SR+ get after an 80% charge as I feel mine has dropped quite a bit.

SR+ with aero wheels

80% shows 174 miles

90% shows 195 miles

26000 miles and car is a year and 3 months old.

I drive twice a week to a location 130 miles away and supercharge to 95% to make it back with enough battery incase I have to make a large detour for some reason.

I am pretty sure 80% used to be 191 miles so it feels like I have had quite a lot of battery degradation.

Any other SR+ owners can share their numbers and make me feel better about my numbers?

18k miles SR+ and I get 191 miles at 80%, but I did not get that again until recently. Charge your SR+ to 100% then take it on a nice long drive down to 20%. Make sure you drive it nice and calm for that drive. No heater, no seat heaters and nice warm temps outside 70% degrees Fahrenheit +. That's what I did and all my miles came back. I think I averaged about 185 w/h or whatever it is called on that trip. Don't worry your battery is more than likely fine and the BMS just needs a little recalibration.

I have looked up and found very technical discussions on battery degradation, but I was hoping to see what other people with SR+ get after an 80% charge as I feel mine has dropped quite a bit.

SR+ with aero wheels

80% shows 174 miles

90% shows 195 miles

26000 miles and car is a year and 3 months old.

I drive twice a week to a location 130 miles away and supercharge to 95% to make it back with enough battery incase I have to make a large detour for some reason.

I am pretty sure 80% used to be 191 miles so it feels like I have had quite a lot of battery degradation.

Any other SR+ owners can share their numbers and make me feel better about my numbers?

Mine is in same boat as yours. 14,000 miles and just about year old. 80% is at 177 been try to do some recalibration based on another thread but to no avail yet. But sounds like it could take some time. Maybe I will try KB1121 recommendations

How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity

18k miles SR+ and I get 191 miles at 80%, but I did not get that again until recently. Charge your SR+ to 100% then take it on a nice long drive down to 20%. Make sure you drive it nice and calm for that drive. No heater, no seat heaters and nice warm temps outside 70% degrees Fahrenheit +. That's what I did and all my miles came back. I think I averaged about 185 w/h or whatever it is called on that trip. Don't worry your battery is more than likely fine and the BMS just needs a little recalibration.

They all came back in 1 trip?

I am going to try what KB1121 said, but I do charge at home to 90% every time twice a week before that trip I make. Thanks, Even though I am still the lowest, it may be somewhat normal.

When comparing to a new SR+ that is rated at 250 and then 80% would be 200, it feels like I really have lost a lot of capacity.

The battery doesn't balance under 90%. You need some charges to 90% to get everything balanced again.

what happens when your battery calibration is off and “90%” is actually only “89%” voltage wise? Would we not get any useful balancing?

Op- I have a 2019 SR+ with 14k miles, same numbers as you. I’ve given up and just switched back to percentage.

Be sure you are getting data from other 2019 owners, since you can’t directly compare to 2020s (have to convert to energy first).

18k miles SR+ and I get 191 miles at 80%

I assume this is a 2019 with that mileage? That’s pretty great for that mileage if so.
Bet you are one of the best for a 2019 with that many miles, and at least a year old.

I've got a June 2019 SR+ w/ 23,000miles and at 80% it says 182miles. Take a look at my attachments from TeslaFi (grain of salt of course). I never saw the original 240miles, I think it was 237 from day 1. I will say firmware version 2020.36 was GARBAGE for me when it comes to range and charging to 90%... I switched back down to 80% for my daily 60mile round trip here in Las Vegas. I start at 80% and usually get home with 45% so meh. I've pretty much stopped worrying about range since my wife received her Model Y a few months ago (talk about range drop it's showing 292mi from the LR 316 but not worrying about it)

Attachments

• FusionCharts.png
    FusionCharts.png
    76.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    89.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I've got a June 2019 SR+ w/ 23,000miles and at 80% it says 182miles. Take a look at my attachments from TeslaFi (grain of salt of course). I never saw the original 240miles, I think it was 237 from day 1. I will say firmware version 2020.36 was GARBAGE for me when it comes to range and charging to 90%... I switched back down to 80% for my daily 60mile round trip here in Las Vegas. I start at 80% and usually get home with 45% so meh. I've pretty much stopped worrying about range since my wife received her Model Y a few months ago (talk about range drop it's showing 292mi from the LR 316 but not worrying about it)

Does look like you have gained about 7 miles since the end of August though....that's some good news. Wishing mine would do that.

I’ve got a May 2019 SR+W/30,000 miles I have never seen my rated range above 230. Right now im at 217/220 rated range at 100%. Drive 70 miles a day and charge every other day back to 90%. Don’t know what happen but I lost a whole bunch of miles! ‍♂️

I’ve got a May 2019 SR+W/30,000 miles I have never seen my rated range above 230. Right now im at 217/220 rated range at 100%. Drive 70 miles a day and charge every other day back to 90%. Don’t know what happen but I lost a whole bunch of miles! ‍♂️

Why do you charge every other day? Is it parked somewhere that it can’t be plugged in when you’re done driving for the day?