Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 SR+ AC Charging

Reigate

Oct 14, 2019
Brisbane
I’m a new owner and may have a fault with my SR+. I have tried numerous times using both Destination Chargers an Type 2’s and cannot get the car to charge above 16 amps even though the EVSE’s were all rated above 16 and up to 32 amps? The EVSE’s were a mixture of single and three phase and my Type 2 cable is rated at 32 amps.

Would someone please confirm that they are able to AC charge an SR+ at 32 amps?

ChrsiH314

Mar 24, 2015
Sydney, Australia
As far as I know you can charge an SR+ at up to 32A 3 phase = 7.5kW, or 16A 3 phase=11 kW. I don't think the car supports dual chargers like the model S/X. The old model S's supported 32A 3ph=22kW if you installed a second charger. Superchargers are a different story of course being DC current.

Techno-phile

S100D, P3D- in garage
Nov 13, 2014
Perth, Australia
As far as I know you can charge an SR+ at up to 32A 3 phase = 7.5kW, or 16A 3 phase=11 kW. I don't think the car supports dual chargers like the model S/X. The old model S's supported 32A 3ph=22kW if you installed a second charger. Superchargers are a different story of course being DC current.

M3s have subchargers for each phase which can each handle 16amp.
Hence a 16amp 3p supply should give 11kW. And a 48 amp single phase supply should give 11kW.
We have tested an M3 on an old 40amp single phase HPWC and it charged at 9kW, splitting the 40amp to 13 amp over each subcharger.

strykeroz

May 27, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
I have the Tesla supplied EVSE on a 32A single phase circuit and we charge at 32A unless we throttle the charge rate on the schedule. Initially it does ramp up but it gets to 32A within the first minute.

Be interested to hear the outcome.

ChrsiH314

Mar 24, 2015
Sydney, Australia

Urgh finger slip I meant 32A 1 phase = 7.5kW or 16A 3 phase=11kW. Sorry.

Reactions: ShockOnT

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC