Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 SR+ charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
32A single phase, 3 x 16A 3 phase.

Have you manually adjusted the current in the charge screen of car?

The right number gives the max current that the charge point is offering. If its less than you expect, its likely to be a charge point issue. Not all charge points will be set to the max. There may be several reasons why its been de-rated by installer. Or a fault. So a check of the installation paperwork possibly by a follow-up with the installer.

32A single phase, 3 x 16A 3 phase.

Have you manually adjusted the current in the charge screen of car?

The right number gives the max current that the charge point is offering. If its less than you expect, its likely to be a charge point issue. Not all charge points will be set to the max. There may be several reasons why its been de-rated by installer. Or a fault.

I can't increase it past 20A but when it's charging it sometimes flashes 21A.

I might have to get the installer back.
He originally installed it for a BMW i3 and then transferred it over to my charging spot one space down.

I doubt there's a charger problem, as the car seems to be behaving normally, but it's quite possible that the charge point has been internally set to only signal to the charger that 20 A is available. Several models of charge point have this ability, often adjustable via an internal DIP switch, or perhaps a small screwdriver operated rotary switch.

Looking at the MIs, it seems that the Webasto Pure has a DIP switch internally to set the max available current that's signalled to the charger via the control pilot connection, although there doesn't seem to be a 20 A setting. There is a note about the unit only being capable of 20 A though, when it's a 22 kW (3 phase) model connected to a single phase supply. This is the page from the MIs:

Webasto Pure.jpg

Last edited:
I doubt there's a charger problem, as the car seems to be behaving normally, but it's quite possible that the charge point has been internally set to only signal to the charger that 20 A is available. Several models of charge point have this ability, often adjustable via an internal DIP switch, or perhaps a small screwdriver operated rotary switch.

Looking at the MIs, it seems that the Webasto Pure has a DIP switch internally to set the max available current that's signalled to the charger via the control pilot connection, although there doesn't seem to be a 20 A setting. There is a note about the unit only being capable of 20 A though, when it's a 22 kW (3 phase) model connected to a single phase supply. This is the page from the MIs:

View attachment 586686
To be fair it says "limited" to 20amps rather than not capable of more. and says there is stuff about deactivating the limit on page 20 so it may still be fixable dependant on what is on page 20. but sounds like it will def need a visit from the installer

To be fair it says "limited" to 20amps rather than not capable of more. and says there is stuff about deactivating the limit on page 20 so it may still be fixable dependant on what is on page 20. but sounds like it will def need a visit from the installer

Exactly. "limited" means that the control pilot duty cycle has been fixed to signal 20 A to the charger, not that there is something physically limiting the current. A charge point has no way of limiting the current other than by signalling to the charger to do so, as there is no charge current control circuitry in a charge point, it can only turn the power on and off on the mains side, everything else is done by altering the control pilot signal to the charger.

Edited to add:

Re-reading the MIs, it seems possible that just changing the DIP switch setting may fix this problem. It's possible that this unit has the DIP switch set to the last option, 1 1 0 0, 32 A 3 phase. If this is the case it will limit the control pilot signal to 33.33% duty cycle, which will signal the car charger to limit the current to 20 A, which ties up perfectly with the car charger indicating 20 A / 20 A on the display.

Changing the DIP switch settings to the second line in the table, 0 1 0 0, should allow the unit to increase the control pilot duty cycle up to 53.33%, to signal to the charger that up to 32 A is available.

Before doing this, it would be sensible to ensure that the supply cable and associated circuit protection is OK for 32 A. It's just possible that it may not be, and may be a reason for the DIP switch being set as it is.

Last edited:
I'll have the installer stop back. This has been helpful.

I must say no amount of youtube videos can prepare you for the actual car.

Amongst all the relevant replies I didn't spot anyone specifically confirming that the SR+ charges as fast as any other Tesla on AC charge points ... so at home on a single phase supply you can expect 32amps 7+ kW
You definitely need your installer back.

I can't increase it past 20A but when it's charging it sometimes flashes 21A.

I might have to get the installer back.
He originally installed it for a BMW i3 and then transferred it over to my charging spot one space down.

I had this with a ChargePlace Scotland charger the other day - the car locked the maximum charging at 20A - I let it charge for a short while thinking it might increase - it didn’t, stopped it, unplugged and then plugged it back in again and it let me increase to 32A.

From looking at part numbers, it looks as if the AC charger is common across all UK Model 3s, so AC charging should behave in the same way irrespective of model. DC charging may well behave differently, because of the change in battery capacity between models, but DC charging uses a charger that is external to the car, with the car signalling to the external charger, opposite to way in which AC charging works. AC charging works by the external charge point (which is just a power outlet and switch, in essence) signalling to the charger (which is in the back of the car) the maximum AC supply current that is available, and the charger then varies the demand to comply with that set limit, and keep the charge current below it at all times.

Amongst all the relevant replies I didn't spot anyone specifically confirming that the SR+ charges as fast as any other Tesla on AC charge points ... so at home on a single phase supply you can expect 32amps 7+ kW
You definitely need your installer back.

Thank you. When he's back I'll know what to expect when he's done and before he leaves.

I get 8.2kWh on my single phase eo mini when charging my sr+ so the car is definitely not capped

I had this with a ChargePlace Scotland charger the other day - the car locked the maximum charging at 20A - I let it charge for a short while thinking it might increase - it didn’t, stopped it, unplugged and then plugged it back in again and it let me increase to 32A.

I've stopped, started, tried at different times of the day and never over 20A. I asked him about it when he installed it but he suggested I check if the car wasn't capped at that. I've confirmed now and will have him sort it. I got the impression he was really busy and off to another job that he really just didn't want to deal with it at the time.

From looking at part numbers, it looks as if the AC charger is common across all UK Model 3s, so AC charging should behave in the same way irrespective of model. DC charging may well behave differently, because of the change in battery capacity between models, but DC charging uses a charger that is external to the car, with the car signalling to the external charger, opposite to way in which AC charging works. AC charging works by the external charge point (which is just a power outlet and switch, in essence) signalling to the charger (which is in the back of the car) the maximum AC supply current that is available, and the charger then varies the demand to comply with that set limit, and keep the charge current below it at all times.

This makes a lot of sense. I'll feed back once it's sorted. Likely someone would come across a similar issue at some point.

My money is on the DIP switch being set for 3 phase, 32 A, in error, as this would give a default 20 A max, according to the Webasto Pure MIs. I bet that changing the DIP switch to the 32 A, single phase, setting will fix the problem and give you the full 32 A.

• Informative
Reactions: ElRey
Thanks for all the help.

He's been back and I'm not charging at the full 32A and able to get up to 7KW.

My money is on the DIP switch being set for 3 phase, 32 A, in error, as this would give a default 20 A max, according to the Webasto Pure MIs. I bet that changing the DIP switch to the 32 A, single phase, setting will fix the problem and give you the full 32 A.

You do get to keep your cash as you were spot on.:):)

Reactions: Glan gluaisne