Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 SR+ home charging issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, picked up my 2020 M3 SR+ on 9/4.
I have charging at home using the supplied 5-15 adapter and was charging at 1 mile of charge per hour.
I was expecting between 3-6.
I just received my 14-50 adapter. Upon 1st use, I noticed the charging amps on screen read 16/32 amps. Less than 1 minutes into charging session, I received an error message, the car stopped charging. I removed plug from car, waited about 10 minutes, and tried again with same results. I called Tesla and they said there's a couple of different settings for the onboard AC to DC charger. I thought it might be the mobile charging cable, so I went back to Tesla and swapped charging cable, and had same issue. Bringing var to the shop and I'm hoping this is a fairly simple fix.
I did use a Supercharger and had no issues. Anybody else have this problem? Thanks in advance for your comments/help.

Interesting, the charging cable that came with the car should be able to do 12A charging (make sure it's set to that on the car screen) and give you at least 4-5 miles per hour. With the 14-50 adapter it should be able to do 32A charging (make sure you set it to that). However it looks like you already have those set.

What is the error message? I would contact Telsa and tell the your car is not charging.

I forgot to mention that nothing else should be drawing power on the same circuit while you are charging.

Interesting, the charging cable that came with the car should be able to do 12A charging (make sure it's set to that on the car screen) and give you at least 4-5 miles per hour. With the 14-50 adapter it should be able to do 32A charging (make sure you set it to that). However it looks like you already have those set.

What is the error message? I would contact Telsa and tell the your car is not charging.

I forgot to mention that nothing else should be drawing power on the same circuit while you are charging.

Would it be snarky to ask if you can tell us what the secret message was?

Attachments

• PXL_20200917_232656050.jpg
    PXL_20200917_232656050.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 85
  • PXL_20200917_232602800.jpg
    PXL_20200917_232602800.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 82
    275.4 KB · Views: 75

Attachments

275.4 KB · Views: 75
  • PXL_20200917_232659630.jpg
    PXL_20200917_232659630.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 76
Hi, picked up my 2020 M3 SR+ on 9/4.
I have charging at home using the supplied 5-15 adapter and was charging at 1 mile of charge per hour.
I was expecting between 3-6.
I just received my 14-50 adapter. Upon 1st use, I noticed the charging amps on screen read 16/32 amps. Less than 1 minutes into charging session, I received an error message, the car stopped charging. I removed plug from car, waited about 10 minutes, and tried again with same results. I called Tesla and they said there's a couple of different settings for the onboard AC to DC charger. I thought it might be the mobile charging cable, so I went back to Tesla and swapped charging cable, and had same issue. Bringing var to the shop and I'm hoping this is a fairly simple fix.
I did use a Supercharger and had no issues. Anybody else have this problem? Thanks in advance for your comments/help.

Getting reduced charging from the 5-15 makes sense if its not the only thing on the circuit (almost never is, in a garage, unless someone specifically had a standard plug run on a separate circuit.).

So, your charging issue on the 5-15 might be because of the other load on the circuit. 3-5 MPH maxes that circuit out. Many people have no idea that the "plug in the garage" might also be daisy chained to some plugs in the house that other stuff is plugged into.

For the 14-50, THAT should be a separate circuit. Who installed that for you?

Thank you for the details and pictures. I don't see anything obvious yet. I noticed both of the charging screen pictures, the 1A and the 16A both show about 241V. So neither of those was the case with the 5-15 adapter then, right?

If there is a bad or weak connection that causes a lot of voltage drop when it ramps up, the car will first try to use three fourths of the initial rate to see if that works better. But if it fails again at the lower rate, I think it stops altogether, so that doesn't look like this, where it's running 1A or 16A.

And it's not the warning about charge cable not pushed in all the way. I can't come up with anything offhand, so time to start eliminating variables. You said you tried with two different Tesla mobile charge cables. Could you give a try at a public charging station that has the J1772 handle with the adapter that comes with your car? That would still be going through the onboard charger inside your car, but different external equipment. I am starting to wonder if it's that onboard charger that's the problem.

Getting reduced charging from the 5-15 makes sense if its not the only thing on the circuit (almost never is, in a garage, unless someone specifically had a standard plug run on a separate circuit.).

So, your charging issue on the 5-15 might be because of the other load on the circuit. 3-5 MPH maxes that circuit out. Many people have no idea that the "plug in the garage" might also be daisy chained to some plugs in the house that other stuff is plugged into.

For the 14-50, THAT should be a separate circuit. Who installed that for you?
The 5-15 is its own circuit. A master electrician with 25 years experience, who has been installing 14-50's for tesla owner's for a few years.
Tesla service rep believes the issue is the onboard charger, a.c. to dc converter.

If the 5-15 is its own circuit and the 14-50 is also its own circuit, and your electrician did load calcs to make sure you are fine on that front, then yeah it sounds like its a possibility that the onboard charger might be an issue. You could try finding a L2 charger somewhere, or taking your car and mobile connector to a location thats outside your home to rule out your own home circuits.

Supercharging bypasses the onboard charger so that fits the symptoms. How far are you from the the delivery center? You might be able to drive there and have them try their own chargers, if they are not superchargers but L2 chargers.

Reactions: guggie1 and Rocky_H
If the 5-15 is its own circuit and the 14-50 is also its own circuit, and your electrician did load calcs to make sure you are fine on that front, then yeah it sounds like its a possibility that the onboard charger might be an issue. You could try finding a L2 charger somewhere, or taking your car and mobile connector to a location thats outside your home to rule out your own home circuits.

Supercharging bypasses the onboard charger so that fits the symptoms. How far are you from the the delivery center? You might be able to drive there and have them try their own chargers, if they are not superchargers but L2 chargers.

I'm only a few miles from service center. Made appointment to leave car to remedy the issue. Thank you for your reply. I will post the final outcome.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Thank you for the details and pictures. I don't see anything obvious yet. I noticed both of the charging screen pictures, the 1A and the 16A both show about 241V. So neither of those was the case with the 5-15 adapter then, right?

If there is a bad or weak connection that causes a lot of voltage drop when it ramps up, the car will first try to use three fourths of the initial rate to see if that works better. But if it fails again at the lower rate, I think it stops altogether, so that doesn't look like this, where it's running 1A or 16A.

And it's not the warning about charge cable not pushed in all the way. I can't come up with anything offhand, so time to start eliminating variables. You said you tried with two different Tesla mobile charge cables. Could you give a try at a public charging station that has the J1772 handle with the adapter that comes with your car? That would still be going through the onboard charger inside your car, but different external equipment. I am starting to wonder if it's that onboard charger that's the problem.
I get a constant 1 mile of charge per hour on the 5-15 circuit. Made appointment to leave car to remedy the issue. I will post outcome. Thx for your input.

I understand that. I am trying to narrow down the possibilities.

I would try to find a Tesla destination HPWC or a friend's home charging setup to experiment with FIRST, before bringing the car to the service center, where the vehicle will be in danger.

Check out the three (or more) other threads on this too - it is possible this is not an issue with your home setup. That's why I suggest trying other AC sources.

Generally speaking, you want to avoid service centers like the plague - or like coronavirus. Reserve those occurrences for when the car will not drive, and you cannot easily fix it on your own.

Problems with home charging after over a year of charging with 240 V 30 A
Gen 2 Wall Charger Now Only Goes to 16 Amps
Charging Issue Level 2 at Home

Possibly a true PCS issue - but the latest post here could also be the same problem!

Charge Speed Reduced, unplug and try again

Last edited:
Reactions: guggie1
Have a M3 with Gen3 wall connector. was able to charge at 32A past few months. Since past few days the car is charging at only 6A. I’m unable to reset the wall connector nor force it to broadcast the SSID to check if it’s configured fine. Or is the issue with the car.

Anyone know how to reset the Gen3 Wall Connector to force it to broadcast its SSid