Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 sr plus winter range question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't forget an EV isn't the same as an ICE car. In an ICE car you're burning gas, just idling. In an EV there'll be some drain due to the heat being on, but you aren't consuming electrons by not moving forward.

• Informative
Reactions: Vawlkus
So I am getting sr plus my daily commute is 60km one way and I have to use 401 highway daily. You know in winter Traffic is crazy. I wonder is sr plus is enough for coming back. Thank you

386*0.9 = 347/2 = 173.4kms (more than enough for round trip 120km commute).

Worse case scenario you're stuck because of traffic. Turn off heat and use 3x seat heater or find a free charger on plug share and watch some Netflix or read a book.

Last winter, only once did I use all the battery on a 3LR - first snow of the season where everyone and slipping and sliding around. Get a set of good winter tires and you shouldn't have any issues.

Don't forget an EV isn't the same as an ICE car. In an ICE car you're burning gas, just idling. In an EV there'll be some drain due to the heat being on, but you aren't consuming electrons by not moving forward.

Yes but cold weather also negatively impacts lithium ion batteries so that is something you need to realistically consider.

What’s your current Wh/km? Even at 0 degrees Celsius, I was getting 101 Wh/km while doing 80km/h and had the temp set to 22 degrees. I did accidentally have the AC on but it was still warm air. That is better range than the rated 140 Wh/km.

Btw, does anyone else use the AC in the winter with the temp turned up? It seems to warm the car but use less energy than turning the on the heat (although I’ve only just noticed this and haven’t had the chance to really test it).

What’s your current Wh/km? Even at 0 degrees Celsius, I was getting 101 Wh/km while doing 80km/h and had the temp set to 22 degrees. I did accidentally have the AC on but it was still warm air. That is better range than the rated 140 Wh/km.

Btw, does anyone else use the AC in the winter with the temp turned up? It seems to warm the car but use less energy than turning the on the heat (although I’ve only just noticed this and haven’t had the chance to really test it).

AC with recirculation will use less energy than heating up fresh cool air from the outside. Also use A/C to defog. It's up to you how you want to run the HVAC. Consume more A/C chemicals or use more energy to heat the air to the point it does not fog up the windows.

On extremely cold days/nights. A/C is mandatory to defog.

Reactions: Jffurlan

That seems really low... Is Sr+ that much more efficient?
I have AWD and have hit below 100wh/km maybe once in 52,000km. Average around 200wh/km at 0C.

Reactions: Nepassnakes
That seems really low... Is Sr+ that much more efficient?
I have AWD and have hit below 100wh/km maybe once in 52,000km. Average around 200wh/km at 0C.

It is shockingly efficient. My average over almost 6,000km is 127 Wh/km, and that only just went up about two weeks ago due to the temps dropping. During the summer my commute to work was typically 85-95 Wh/km in city driving. Even now with 0 degrees and negative temps I only go over the rated 140 Wh/km if I put the heat on. Then it can easily jump to 200 Wh/km on short trips. But usually once I preheat the cabin, it stays comfortable for any short trip.

I should also state that I don’t accelerate quickly, use AP all the time, and stick to posted speed limits. I also use regen as much as possible (usually intervening as AP likes to use brakes). With limited regen almost every day in SR+ I like to let off AP earlier than it would choose to if approaching a stop.

It is shockingly efficient. My average over almost 6,000km is 127 Wh/km, and that only just went up about two weeks ago due to the temps dropping. During the summer my commute to work was typically 85-95 Wh/km in city driving. Even now with 0 degrees and negative temps I only go over the rated 140 Wh/km if I put the heat on. Then it can easily jump to 200 Wh/km on short trips. But usually once I preheat the cabin, it stays comfortable for any short trip.

I should also state that I don’t accelerate quickly, use AP all the time, and stick to posted speed limits. I also use regen as much as possible (usually intervening as AP likes to use brakes). With limited regen almost every day in SR+ I like to let off AP earlier than it would choose to if approaching a stop.

I am happy for you and quite impressed but your results are probably not typical. Most people will not get 600km out of an SR+ (if running without climate) even in summer. And especially op driving 60km on the 401 (where he is going to be running heat).

I will also get summer range running without heat (which I don't usually do, I usually run at auto and 20C). And running without heat is not what most people will do on a 60km highway commute in winter.

Reactions: Jffurlan and pcons
I am happy for you and quite impressed but your results are probably not typical. Most people will not get 600km out of an SR+ (if running without climate) even in summer. And especially op driving 60km on the 401 (where he is going to be running heat).

I will also get summer range running without heat (which I don't usually do, I usually run at auto and 20C). And running without heat is not what most people will do on a 60km highway commute in winter.
+1

Compared to other EVs even 150 wh/km is pretty efficient. Consistently getting around 100 wh/km isn't going to be possible IMO.

For reference, the best range I ever got with my gen 2 volt was around 130km (rated for 83km). That's 14.1 kwh, and doing this I had one round trip to work, and one return trip trying to hypermile like crazy. The return trips were about 200m lower elevation so gravity helped a lot...that amounts to 108 wh/km.

Having driven for years with an EV, and comparing with my model 3 I am pretty confident to say 100 wh/km is impossible if you drive like a normal human and aren't travelling down a permanent downhill.

There are certain routes I can take where it will show me getting 100 wh/km too, but making a round trip is another story. That damned gravity can be so unfair :)

Reactions: bijan
Should i change my order to LR awd .. I don’t wanna stuck in 401 without any battery .. right now I get off at 4pm and arrived at home sometime at 7pm. It’s crazy traffic
Based on your 60km one way commute you should be fine. As someone else pointed out, at 90% charge and 50% efficiency hit you'll still have 180km of range in about worst case scenario.

Upgrade to AWD if you can afford it and you have a need for speed :cool:

Should i change my order to LR awd .. I don’t wanna stuck in 401 without any battery .. right now I get off at 4pm and arrived at home sometime at 7pm. It’s crazy traffic

I used to drive 50km highway one way to pick up my wife from work. Worst it came at -16C was just under 14kwh with an AWD but that was in about an one and twenty minutes.

You'd be ok as long as you kept it below 22.5kwh. Unless it is -20C both ways and over 3 hours for both ways I think you should be fine. I'm assuming heat is 3-5kw. So two hours extra heat each way would put you at the limit at that temperature.

• Funny
Reactions: Char

You’re absolutely right. My results are not typical and very indicative of my situation. No one is getting 600km, but 400km, even 410km is possible. I think the 386km is incredibly accurate, and so far have not seen the extra consumption from colder temps I was expecting. But a longer commute will definitely want to use heat to be comfortable.

401 doesn't get bad until 5ish when the RUSH RUSH comes. Take advantage of your off the line speed and try local roads. I often find it's the same or even faster than the 401 after 5pm. I go from Mississauga towards Scarborough. If I'm lucky, 1hour. If there are accidents 1hr + random minutes.

go for the longest range you can afford!
i have an sr + my 90% right now is 330 but real range is more like 230-250km... when i get to work and not able to plug
i eat roughly 10-15km in vampire drain and preheating the battery uses up some juice as well
if i can go back i would get the lr rwd

go for the longest range you can afford!
i have an sr + my 90% right now is 330 but real range is more like 230-250km... when i get to work and not able to plug
i eat roughly 10-15km in vampire drain and preheating the battery uses up some juice as well
if i can go back i would get the lr rwd

Yes, range is very important here. On the other hand, in the odd day when you find yourself is short on range, if there is a SC along your route, you can always spend 5 to 10 minutes there and you will be fine again.

SR+ will get you rebate as well.

superchargers along my route, however getting into sherway gardens, maple view mall gets old after a while when you just want to get home but dont want to drive and arrive 5% to destination or have the computer tell you drive below 90km
range is king
love my sr+ but if i could go back i would have gone for lr rwd

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck